Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
$1,535.94

That's approximately how much you'll fork over for the high-capacity XS Max, a phone that doesn't perform much better than your current model.

The bottom line is that the price is too high.
Not disagreeing with you, but how many people truly need 512GB of storage on a phone? 64GB is $1099, and 256GB is $1249 which is still priced too high by about $100 but if somebody really wanted it they could likely stretch that extra $100.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
This person has been complaining about the new phones for awhile. New posts every couple of days. If they don’t like it don’t buy it. There are tons of people still buying the Xs/Max. Failing? I doubt it’s failing
If it’s failing so is every phone on the market

Note 9 is failing

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you

That's a total sales figure for all the chips they make. Not just for iPhone.

This person has been complaining about the new phones for awhile. New posts every couple of days. If they don’t like it don’t buy it. There are tons of people still buying the Xs/Max. Failing? I doubt it’s failing
I don't think the XS has failed. Just not selling the numbers we and apple are used to seeing.

Reactions: decypher44

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Perhaps last gen phones are still very capable and people are holding back spending over a grand for something they don't need. That goes for both Apple and Android based phones.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My wife and I use our phones a LOT. Screen time is a slap in the face to some of us. For a device that is used every day, spending that much money makes sense for some.

Coming from the 8+, my wife and I got the Xs MAX. Yeah the monthly Apple Upgrade Plan went up to $72/mo but the extra space is nice and the screen is amazing. Camera is noticeably better in the shots we take. If I had to do it over again, I might have kept the 8+.

At least that's our goal now with the Xs MAX - we'll be keeping these till 2020 and then maybe another year or two, especially with the price we had to pay.

If I had a 6s+ or a 7+, I'd probably get the Xs MAX. 8+? Definitely not. But it's always been that way, best to keep your phone a few generations if you can stand it. The Apple Upgrade Plan makes it easier to swallow but definitely makes Apple some money.

If people are holding back now, us Xs Max owners won't be upgrading for some time (at least the majority of us I would assume, lol). Personally, I'm aiming for 3-4 years for my phone.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
That's a total sales figure for all the chips they make. Not just for iPhone.
Inversely, “analysts” frequently point to low earnings from the likes of Pegatron and place it squarely in the iPhone as a reason...using the exact lack of complete data you’re describing.

That’s been the trend for about 5 years now...

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
My wife and I use our phones a LOT. Screen time is a slap in the face to some of us. For a device that is used every day, spending that much money makes sense for some.

Coming from the 8+, my wife and I got the Xs MAX. Yeah the monthly Apple Upgrade Plan went up to $72/mo but the extra space is nice and the screen is amazing. Camera is noticeably better in the shots we take. If I had to do it over again, I might have kept the 8+.

At least that's our goal now with the Xs MAX - we'll be keeping these till 2020 and then maybe another year or two, especially with the price we had to pay.

If I had a 6s+ or a 7+, I'd probably get the Xs MAX. 8+? Definitely not. But it's always been that way, best to keep your phone a few generations if you can stand it. The Apple Upgrade Plan makes it easier to swallow but definitely makes Apple some money.

If people are holding back now, us Xs Max owners won't be upgrading for some time (at least the majority of us I would assume, lol). Personally, I'm aiming for 3-4 years for my phone.

A lot of people are saying price is the issue, but it is really innovation. The cameras on the new phones are better, for sure, but a brand new 7 or 8+ runs the basic functions of iOS 12 exactly as well as the X, XR, XS, XS Max. What Apple needs to do is add new, exclusive use cases to the newer models that basically entice people to upgrade. Where is the next Siri or Apple Pay?

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Perhaps last gen phones are still very capable and people are holding back spending over a grand for something they don't need. That goes for both Apple and Android based phones.

Phones from 2-3 generations ago are still quite capable. I see more 7s among people I know than anything else. To the casual user the new phones don’t offer anything that isn’t already being done well by their current phone. My 6s rocks and that model was released over 3 years ago.

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
$1,535.94

That's approximately how much you'll fork over for the high-capacity XS Max, a phone that doesn't perform much better than your current model.

The bottom line is that the price is too high.

Right out of the playbook. If you’re against something you quote the highest possible price. If you’re shilling for it, you quote the lowest possible price.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Apple has always been more about higher ASP than volume. The past 5 or so years of high-volume sales have been the exception. I agree with everyone the prices are too high, but that's always been Apple!

rdillon2008

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2018
Bahamas
Apple needs to start cutting features from older devices. There is no way they should offer new features to old and new phones. Give people features so it is worth upgrading to

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.