Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Honestly I find the Siri remote very useful. I had the remote app for my ATV3 but hardly ever used it. I actually deleted it way before Apple even announced the ATV4.

I like the idea of just using one input device. I hope the Siri remote gets updated to input text via speech. And the ability to search within apps

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
They made such a huge deal out of this remote that having an iPhone app defeats the purpose of it, especially with the Siri integration of remote

the apple remote on the old apple tv was horrible so they gladly made an app for it, I actually really like this new remote and would not want to use a 100% touch screen device as a remote, having actual buttons to press to press down on feels much better

That's a good point. The Siri Remote really fills almost all the holes that the Remote App had to fill in separately. Of course, a keyboard is still missing but that can easily be solved with handoff, and in an even quicker more direct way. Keyboard needed on the AppleTV? Pick up your phone and simply slide up from the lock screen and you've got your keyboard. No need to flip through screens to find the remote app, open it, pick which AppleTV, wait for it to connect and then get your keyboard.

I do miss the little luxury of using my phone to control my TV without looking for the TV remote but that quickly became less important since I always know where my Siri Remote is because I have it docked in an iPhone case next to the AppleTV.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
I think part of the reason is that all the functionality of the new Apple TV remote cannot currently be duplicated by an iPhone app- the iPhone doesn't have all the hardware required. The Apple TV remote controls the on/off and volume of the TV through actual infrared signals directly to the TV, just like the original remote that came with the TV. I've tested this with mine- if I cover up the IR receiver on the TV, it doesn't work. So it's not all completely done via HDMI.

Reactions: ipedro

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
That's a good point. The Siri Remote really fills almost all the holes that the Remote App had to fill in separately. Of course, a keyboard is still missing but that can easily be solved with handoff, and in an even quicker more direct way. Keyboard needed on the AppleTV? Pick up your phone and simply slide up from the lock screen and you've got your keyboard. No need to flip through screens to find the remote app, open it, pick which AppleTV, wait for it to connect and then get your keyboard.

I do miss the little luxury of using my phone to control my TV without looking for the TV remote but that quickly became less important since I always know where my Siri Remote is because I have it docked in an iPhone case next to the AppleTV.

the keyboard issue is fixed with Siri dictation, which for some insane reason isn't an option

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
"Hey Siri, play Jessica Jones on AppleTV". It shows on your TV. The AppleTV icon appears in your handoff corner in the iPhone lock screen or by double clicking Home. Drag it up and it'll show you the options on screen.

Handoff is just one of the tools in Continuity. It's not the entire picture. iPhones, iPads and Macs have all been brought into Continuity. AppleTV is no longer a hobby and is now a full fledged member of the Apple family and so it is likely going to be integrated into that system. Simply put, all of your devices will be aware of one another and easily carry on functions on one device that was started on another.

The Remote App created a redundant control system with a separate UI that isolated AppleTV into itself. Continuity brings it into the larger ecosystem.

This would make owning all the Apple goodies even sweeter - one universal ecosystem that talks to each thing without needing to encourage it would be amazing :)

nimbusthegreat

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Dallas, TX
The Remote app isn't a critical feature to the functioning of AppleTV. At best, not having it is an inconvenience.

Saying it's merely an inconvenience is an understatement. I have at least a dozen apps that have logins. Plus my iCloud info. Typing in 30 character passwords for every app on that god awful remote that doesn't respond well is more than an inconvenience. I literally spent the better part of an hour entering all that in. Then, my Apple TV locked up during an update and I had to reset it to get it to work again. And spend another hour entering passwords. This has been a disaster, not an inconvenience.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Nope, I mean 9.2, which was just newly released (see front page). I have tested it and it works.

Still can't get my (non-Apple) Bluetooth keyboard to work unfortunately though.

I am a little confused. tvOS 9.1 was released today and iOS 9.2 was released. You said tvOS 9.2 ?

EDIT: I see you realized you made a mistake, so what did you upgrade? Your iOS or tvOS?

Last edited:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Big news: The existing Remote app now works with tvOS 9.2. :)

It appears that Apple has done what I thought they might do: they got rid of the library browsing in the Remote App. It's now only a digital replica of the the remote control (albeit, with the Siri button missing).

That corrects the issue I mentioned about redundant UIs and libraries while giving people the Remote App while we wait for iOS10 to bring greater Continuity integration.

bgib2610

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2014
SoCal
I can confirm the updated iOS 9.1 for ATV4 and the Remote App running on iOS 9.1 (not updated to iOS 9.2 yet) works! It was such a relief to get this function back... I *ALMOST* returned the ATV4 because this was missing. Now to get Siri on my iPhone to control the ATV4... I'm sure that feature is coming soon :)

Reactions: turbineseaplane

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
giving people the Remote App while we wait for iOS10 to bring greater Continuity integration.

I very much doubt they're going to do that. While integrating Apple TV playback into Continuity sounds like a neat idea in theory.. in practice - I think it will add more confusion that it will solve.

For instance - I have 3 Apple TVs around my house, and each may be playing different content. Which one should be brought into forefront by Continuity?

With a dedicated Remote app - controlling different ATV devices (and/or Macs with iTunes) is nice and simple. I don't see what problem needs to be fixed with Continuity here.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I'm am exceptionally happy to hear they reversed course on their initial decision.

The remote app is very very useful.

Reactions: GlenK

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
it's clear that the old Remote App was overly complex and redundant. It's likely that Apple is going to build those functions right into iOS rather than as a separate app.

Oops.. There goes your theory ;)

Nope. Apple removed the library functions of the Remote App which was the premise of my theory. If anything, that Apple removed the "overly complex and redundant" library functions of the Remote App confirms my speculation. The other shoe has yet to drop. We may have to wait for iOS10 to see it.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Nope. Apple removed the library functions of the Remote App which was the premise of my theory. If anything, that Apple removed the "overly complex and redundant" library functions of the Remote App confirms my speculation. The other shoe has yet to drop. We may have to wait for iOS10 to see it.
This feature works on the iPad, but not the iPhone. I can't remember if it ever worked with the phone?

Edit: just cross-checked against my ATV2 and you can navigate the library on the phone Remote app there.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
https://www.macrumors.com/2015/12/09/new-apple-tv-remote-app-siri-first-half-2016/

This is what I suspected would happen from the beginning. It makes perfect sense because all the hardware in the remote is present in the phone. I would also suspect phones to be able to double as additional game controllers.

Apple probably expected to either release the new version sooner, or underestimated the backlash from not having a text input method from the get-go and rushed an update to the old app to market.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
This is what I suspected would happen from the beginning. It makes perfect sense because all the hardware in the remote is present in the phone. I would also suspect phones to be able to double as additional game controllers.

Apple probably expected to either release the new version sooner, or underestimated the backlash from not having a text input method from the get-go and rushed an update to the old app to market.

Meanwhile, not a word about Dictation into text boxes on Apple TV which is criminal.

Typing "Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer Supercut" into YouTube last night gave me such a hand cramp that I wanted to punt my ATV4 out the window. Even more frustrating when I think that I'm holding a remote control with two damn microphones while doing it.

iPhone can figure out the difference between Siri and Dictation, inexcusable that Apple TV can't when it's so much more necessary.

BJ

Reactions: turbineseaplane

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Remote app was just updated.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    388.7 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: Lancetx

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Remote app was just updated.
I've just downloaded that no tried it. It has an element of 'inertia' in the swipe action, similar to the Siri remote touch pad, now. Previously the movement was 'one step at a time'.

You still don't seem able to navigate your Homeshare library directly in the iPhone version.

ETA: and, perversely, the ability to directly navigate your Homeshare network on the iPad has now been removed!

Last edited:

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012

They haven't "removed" anything from the Remote app - the app still supports library browsing on any non-tVOS Apple TV. They just haven't yet added support for this function in tvOS. Maybe they will add it in the future, maybe not. Remains to be seen.

And as Eddie Cue just confirmed today - Apple will continue adding functionality to a stand alone Remote app. it certainly does not look like anything you theorized - i.e. Apple planning to deprecate dedicated Remote app, and moving this functionality into Continuity:

Apple plans to bring Siri Remote features to the iOS Remote app in 2016

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.