Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which OS?

• Android

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • Windows

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters

Trhodezy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
Excluding iOS what is your favourite OS out of the following (for tablets and smartphones) & why:

Mine has to go to Windows WP8. That looks like the tipping point for MicroSloth, they are now - finally - figuring out what innovation & intuition is.

Trhodezy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
Windows.

I don't think Microsoft can or will accept letting iOS and Android trample them.

Agreed, do you think it seems as if they are ramping up their "own" ecosystem? Nice hardware (Lumia 900) and intergration of everything PLUS cloud storage which actually works as cloud storage! Amongst other cool features, like the live tiles... they're just fantastic.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Agreed, do you think it seems as if they are ramping up their "own" ecosystem? Nice hardware (Lumia 900) and intergration of everything PLUS cloud storage which actually works as cloud storage! Amongst other cool features, like the live tiles... they're just fantastic.

Microsoft can excel just based on leveraging Office, Exchange and other of their golden nuggets.

This time next year they will not have significant share but they will be on the upswing and in 3-4 years they will likely pull even with Android or perhaps surpass them. Not because Android is deficient but rather Microsoft and Apple have strong desktop platforms to leverage that Android doesn't.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Microsoft is going to have excellent integration between pc, tablet, phone and xbox. I'm currently using a WP7, looking forward to WP8 and the surface tablets. Microsoft is definitely moving in the right direction with their products.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
If and only if Microsoft can get a really nice app library going I'll come back to Bill & Co. I left WP7 because my phone cracked, but while I was on that OS I loved it. The live tiles, the simple beautiful UI, the only thing that was no good was the app library. Just not enough even for me. (I barely use any apps)

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Funny, I remember all this being said a few years back when Windows Phone was announced. Then WP7 was delayed, so M$ came out with Windows Mobile 6.5 and of course an 'amazing devise called the Kin.
laugh.gif
when WP7 was finally officially unveiled at the beginning of 2010, it only took M$ another 10 months to get it to market.
In that year and a half since getting to market, WP7 has managed to get a whopping 3% marketshare, before closing the books on WP7 and screwing their mobile customers a second time in just 3 years.
Now we get to Windows 8 and for some odd reason, people believe that this has to be it; M$ finally has a sustainable mobile OS, and as a customer I surely won't get screwed again! But when will we see WP8 and tablets running Metro from M$? They said October 2012, which is just two months away, but M$ still can't tell us what processor they are gonna be able to use in the RT version of the Surface tablet! So, again, expect a 6 month delay on WP8 tablets, or a rushed version that will be a crappy user experience. M$ is famous for giving its customer that.

In the end, you can say Microsoft will be the best, throw those pom pom's in the air and shout 'down with Android', but all you have to do is look to the recent past and today to see the future of Microsoft in the mobile arena. Doesn't matter if it is tablets or phones, M$ just doesn't provide a product people want to buy, hence 3% marketshare. And before you say, "yeah, but look at all the computers running windows in homes and placesr of work!", yes this is true Windows is everywhere, but that is due to a lack of choice. When you buy a budget computer or get bids for your company, Windows is the only option you get. If given the choice, people are choosing not to pick Windows.

P.S. If M$ is going to make the October launch of the Surface tablet, shouldn't they be able to give us a rough price, battery life expectations, will it be 3g, 4g, lte, wi-fi or what and of course, what size of memory it will have. There are only about 85 days left (which means these tablets should be in production already, and yet there is nothing being said.) i smell delay!

Last edited:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Funny, I remember all this being said a few years back when Windows Phone was announced. Then WP7 was delayed, so M$ came out with Windows Mobile 6.5 and of course an 'amazing devise called the Kin. Image when WP7 was finally officially unveiled at the beginning of 2010, it only took M$ another 10 months to get it to market.
In that year and a half since getting to market, WP7 has managed to get a whopping 3% marketshare, before closing the books on WP7 and screwing their mobile customers a second time in just 3 years.
Now we get to Windows 8 and for some odd reason, people believe that this has to be it; M$ finally has a sustainable mobile OS, and as a customer I surely won't get screwed again! But when will we see WP8 and tablets running Metro from M$? They said October 2012, which is just two months away, but M$ still can't tell us what processor they are gonna be able to use in the RT version of the Surface tablet! So, again, expect a 6 month delay on WP8 tablets, or a rushed version that will be a crappy user experience. M$ is famous for giving its customer that.

In the end, you can say Microsoft will be the best, throw those pom pom's in the air and shout 'down with Android', but all you have to do is look to the recent past and today to see the future of Microsoft in the mobile arena. Doesn't matter if it is tablets or phones, M$ just doesn't provide a product people want to buy, hence 3% marketshare. And before you say, "yeah, but look at all the computers running windows in homes and placesr of work!", yes this is true Windows is everywhere, but that is due to a lack of choice. When you buy a budget computer or get bids for your company, Windows is the only option you get. If given the choice, people are choosing not to pick Windows.

P.S. If M$ is going to make the October launch of the Surface tablet, shouldn't they be able to give us a rough price, battery life expectations, will it be 3g, 4g, lte, wi-fi or what and of course, what size of memory it will have. There are only about 85 days left (which means these tablets should be in production already, and yet there is nothing being said.) i smell delay!
Yeah, we know from past history that no one ever comes back from the brink. Not even Apple. :rolleyes:

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Yeah, we know from past history that no one ever comes back from the brink. Not even Apple. :rolleyes:

Steve Jobs was an anomaly. And M$ isn't in dire straits financially, with a marketing genius that has OCD waiting to be rehired. Trying to inject such a comparison (even with a sarcastic flare) is a sad attempt on your part to give your arguement merit.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
WP8 in my opinion will start to take off. Once their OS matures it will be nice. I absolutely love how smooth windows phone is.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Funny, I remember all this being said a few years back when Windows Phone was announced. Then WP7 was delayed, so M$ came out with Windows Mobile 6.5 and of course an 'amazing devise called the Kin. Image when WP7 was finally officially unveiled at the beginning of 2010, it only took M$ another 10 months to get it to market.

I think Microsoft is going to keep putting money into WP until it is successful. I don't expect WP market share to ever get to where android is, but eventually it should be somewhere between 15 and 20 percent. The key imo is for carriers to be on board. I can't speak for AT&T, but in my experience with Verizon they downplay WP (yes I know the WP selection is zilch) and push android and iphone. Supposedly Verizon is supposed to push WP8 pretty hard in an attempt to get more customers away from the iphone and it's higher cost to the carrier. If so it should be an interesting fall.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
NoDo will get consumers interested.
Mango will get the ball rolling.
Nokia will really push Windows Phone forward.
Tango is the one.
Apollo is the start of the growth of Windows Phone 7.
Ohwait, WP7 is being dropped?

Windows Phone 8 will get consumers interested...

I look forward to it gaining traction.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Steve Jobs was an anomaly. And M$ isn't in dire straits financially, with a marketing genius that has OCD waiting to be rehired. Trying to inject such a comparison (even with a sarcastic flare) is a sad attempt on your part to give your arguement merit.

Speaking of tired and sad, your use of M$ is as tired as sad as you can get.

I think Microsoft is going to keep putting money into WP until it is successful. I don't expect WP market share to ever get to where android is, but eventually it should be somewhere between 15 and 20 percent. The key imo is for carriers to be on board. I can't speak for AT&T, but in my experience with Verizon they downplay WP (yes I know the WP selection is zilch) and push android and iphone. Supposedly Verizon is supposed to push WP8 pretty hard in an attempt to get more customers away from the iphone and it's higher cost to the carrier. If so it should be an interesting fall.

I was blown away by what MS is doing with WP8. They seem to be very serious about the platform and it makes iOS look pretty darn tired. I'd lean towards WP8 over Android. It has the potential to be as rock solid and buttery smooth as iOS, but not a static, outdated grid of icons.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I was blown away by what MS is doing with WP8. They seem to be very serious about the platform and it makes iOS look pretty darn tired. I'd lean towards WP8 over Android. It has the potential to be as rock solid and buttery smooth as iOS, but not a static, outdated grid of icons.

WP8 definitely has a lot of potential. I keep up with a lot of Microsoft stuff and I am really impressed with the ecosystem they are trying to put together. I can't wait to see it come together.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
WP8 definitely has a lot of potential. I keep up with a lot of Microsoft stuff and I am really impressed with the ecosystem they are trying to put together. I can't wait to see it come together.

HavIng tried Windows 8 for a couple of months, I can tell you right now there is going to be a lot of monitor and keyboard throwing when people switch to this. In fact, be prepared for an onslaught of people NOT using 8 because they reverted back to 7.

Windows 8 is the epitomy of M$ aka Not User Friendly. i am going to be laughing my ass off the entire time. "How the f#%k do I get to 'my computer'!!! is going to be common, followed by, "How the f#%k do I get out of this stupid tile and back to my homepage." :D

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
HavIng tried Windows 8 for a couple of months, I can tell you right now there is going to be a lot of monitor and keyboard throwing when people switch to this. In fact, be prepared for an onslaught of people NOT using 8 because they reverted back to 7.

Windows 8 is the epitomy of M$ aka Not User Friendly. i am going to be laughing my ass off the entire time. "How the f#%k do I get to 'my computer'!!! is going to be common, followed by, "How the f#%k do I get out of this stupid tile and back to my homepage." :D

My wife is going to be one of those people. That's one of the reasons I haven't downloaded the consumer preview to try. Is there any way of switching from the metro ui to a traditional ui in Windows 8?

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
My wife is going to be one of those people. That's one of the reasons I haven't downloaded the consumer preview to try. Is there any way of switching from the metro ui to a traditional ui in Windows 8?

On the consumer preview I used there was a simple click to go back into Windows 7. But since Windows 8 is all new and not an update from 7, I have no idea if this would be possible?

I have been using pc's and mac's for a long time. Learning how to use OSX Leopard, when all I knew was Windows 95, 98, ME, etc... And Windows 8 was more difficult. The computer illeterate will give up pretty quickly, unless M$ has madesignificant changes in the public release in October.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010

That may very well be true, but we're talking about Windows Phone 8, not whatever mess the desktop may end up being.

..and as a long time Windows user, I think they finally got it right with Windows 7. I see no need to mess up a good thing. But having the option to go Windows 7, should take care of any complaints.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
That may very well be true, but we're talking about Windows Phone 8, not whatever mess the desktop may end up being.

..and as a long time Windows user, I think they finally got it right with Windows 7. I see no need to mess up a good thing. But having the option to go Windows 7, should take care of any complaints.

I like Windows 7, but I am interested in Window 8. I can definitely see it being easier to use on a touch screen than with a mouse. I guess time will tell whether Microsoft made a smart decision or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.