Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
This discussion about LR is rather going way off-topic since this thread is actually about AfterShoot....

Anyway, thanks for the information about LR, but I am more than satisfied with DXO's PhotoLab 6. And, yes, one can cull while editing in that program, too -- I think one can in most software editing programs, so nothing special about that. For situations when one has only shot a few images at a time, no big deal to cull as one is editing, and I do just that often. However, when one has shot extensively over a period of time or has done burst mode shooting of wildlife and there are a lot of images, this is when culling becomes a real burden and time-thief. For years professionals and other photographers have used Photo Mechanic as a culling tool for just this reason. AfterShoot just takes things a bit further with its utilization of AI. It's definitely worth considering for anyone who shoots extensively and has a need to later review and cull a lot of images prior to the actual editing process.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Capture One...... I tried that program, wasn't happy with it and it really was overkill, as I am not a professional photographer, I don't need to tether my camera to a computer and shoot portraits in the studio, etc. I think it's a really good program for those who need the tools it offers. For me it was not a good fit, as my editing needs are fairly simple.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
They do use my images for exactly that, the AI learns directly from my specified LR catalogue how to edit in the manner I do normally. It has to or it couldn’t do what they are advertising it does. It does appear to have a good privacy policy though.
Sorry for delay in responding, work life balance getting in the way. Using the images to teach the algorithm was more about giving rights to store a signature or other representation of your image on their servers to aid the AI to the benefit of others.

Usage rights like this are a little loose in terms of protection and we don't really know where this path is leading yet. Just be mindful if you point this at pictures of your kids for example. I think there are some lawsuits on the horizon as the Instagram generation begin to grow up and take offence at the pictures their parents posted of them when they were young. Add to this that there could be a change to the clause at some stage that says maybe they can make their image library available to 3rd parties for the purposes of digital imagery.

A little bit of an over dramatisation but if you watch the Black Mirror episode called Joan is Awful you will get the gist of where this can go. Remember Hollywood is on strike currently for the reason of rights against the use of their computer generated likeness being used in future productions.

Not scaremongering, just encouraging everyone to at least for a second consider how this data can be monetised or worse, used maliciously and how are they protecting your images while they are processing them?

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Sorry for delay in responding, work life balance getting in the way. Using the images to teach the algorithm was more about giving rights to store a signature or other representation of your image on their servers to aid the AI to the benefit of others.

Usage rights like this are a little loose in terms of protection and we don't really know where this path is leading yet. Just be mindful if you point this at pictures of your kids for example. I think there are some lawsuits on the horizon as the Instagram generation begin to grow up and take offence at the pictures their parents posted of them when they were young. Add to this that there could be a change to the clause at some stage that says maybe they can make their image library available to 3rd parties for the purposes of digital imagery.

A little bit of an over dramatisation but if you watch the Black Mirror episode called Joan is Awful you will get the gist of where this can go. Remember Hollywood is on strike currently for the reason of rights against the use of their computer generated likeness being used in future productions.

Not scaremongering, just encouraging everyone to at least for a second consider how this data can be monetised or worse, used maliciously and how are they protecting your images while they are processing them?
I would never use it for my personal images, FYI. I'm very privacy conscious myself.

However if I do continue to use AS (Still not sure at this point, I'm worried that unless it's 100% I will lose potential 'money shots' - and obviously it's not 100% perfect) I would update my own privacy terms to reflect this. I already do include links to the privacy policies of other 3rd party apps and companies I use, within my own privacy policy, and offer an opt-out for my clients.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.