Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Since my original "I will not update" rant was (deservedly) sent to Wasteland, I am going to ask THREE honest questions before finally deciding to move to iOS7 - your sincere answers are greatly appreciated:

1 - For those of you who have learned to love iTunes 10 over 11, bearing in mind that 11 is a precondition for iOS 7 backup/syncing: are our gripes finally addressed in the latest point updates to iTunes 11? No, I don't even care about Cover Flow - it's more about management of large libraries, search function, album art view (or similar) etc...IF NOT, what still sucks compared to iTunes 10?

2 - As far as the iPhone 5 and/or iPad 3 are concerned: is there really graphics/animation sluggishness in iOS 7 OR NOT compared to iOS 6?

3 - What is the SINGLE most annoying/worst thing about iOS 7, in your opinion?

Tks for your advice.

Last edited:

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Since my original "I will not update" rant was (deservedly) sent to Wasteland, I am going to ask THREE honest questions before finally deciding to move to iOS7 - your sincere answers are greatly appreciated:

1 - For those of you who have learned to love iTunes 10 over 11, bearing in mind that 11 is a precondition for iOS 7 backup/syncing: are our gripes finally addressed in the latest point updates to iTunes 11? No, I don't even care about Cover Flow - it's more about management of large libraries, search function, album art view (or similar) etc...IF NOT, what still sucks compared to iTunes 11?

2 - As far as the iPhone 5 and/or iPad 3 are concerned: is there really graphics/animation sluggishness in iOS 7 OR NOT compared to iOS 6?

Tks for your advice.

1) Since iTunes 11 has been fine for me, I'll only comment on 2 & 3.

2) iPhone 5 here, and no sluggishness on iOS 7. Feels just as fast as iOS 6. Now, the animations may make it seem slower, but in reality I've done side by side testing with iOS 6 and I can do everything just as quickly with iOS 7.

3) The worst thing about iOS 7 in my opinion, is I wish they made NC a little more powerful. Instead of just the text info about weather, maybe a small picture, or even a nice little animated one similar to the new weather app. A few more tweaks would be nice.

Otherwise, I love iOS 7. My fiancee finally updated her 4S last night to iOS 7, and I'm so glad - couldn't stand looking at it or having to use it while she was still on iOS 6.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010

1 - For those of you who have learned to love iTunes 10 over 11, bearing in mind that 11 is a precondition for iOS 7 backup/syncing: are our gripes finally addressed in the latest point updates to iTunes 11? No, I don't even care about Cover Flow - it's more about management of large libraries, search function, album art view (or similar) etc...IF NOT, what still sucks compared to iTunes 11?

Tks for your advice.

1 - No idea, I have no clue about any iTunes versions, I don't really use it ever.

2 - iphone 5 works like a charm, ipad 2 has some "rough edges".

3 - at the moment the easily most annoying thing is that some apps (such as Tapatalk) still have ios 6 visuals. One thing that will probably need some time to get used to is that a lot of the old "text buttons" are replaced by symbols. It is not always obvious what a certain button does. Of course this was to some extent present in ios 6 as well, but my first impression is that there is more of it in ios 7.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL

1 - For those of you who have learned to love iTunes 10 over 11, bearing in mind that 11 is a precondition for iOS 7 backup/syncing: are our gripes finally addressed in the latest point updates to iTunes 11? No, I don't even care about Cover Flow - it's more about management of large libraries, search function, album art view (or similar) etc...IF NOT, what still sucks compared to iTunes 10?

Tks for your advice.

1) Don't use it to much

2) On my iP5 it seems as fast at ios6. Some of the animations might make it seem slower as Tyler23 said but I'm not finding it sluggish at all.

3) FOLDERS!!! Great I can have multiple pages but only displaying 9 instead of 16 as before!!! Ouch! On the iPad it is even worse with it showing 9 too.

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010

Tks for your advice.

I can give answers for #2 and #3.

2) On iPhone 5, I don't see any sluggishness graphics wise; however, on random occasions, random apps will freeze up on me if I try 'to do too much' at once (e.g., too many taps on various things). I imagine this will get fixed on subsequent updates (?). On iPad 3, I have found it to be just fine, except for changing wallpapers -- it's a bit slow when setting wallpapers, and using the four-finger pinch to close an app where the animation isn't as smooth as on iPhone when closing an app.

3) There's not much that bugs me, and I'm not saying that because I love Apple and anything they do is golden; I would guess these hickups would be the issue that stands out as the 'worst' thing. If that's the worst thing, I don't think that's too bad.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
I have the iPhone 5 and iOS7 is just fine and smooth, only thing I don't care for is parallax and no drop shadows which I prefer over the parallax. Other than that it is a little bright, I would prefer some more earth tones and maybe off white and not the stark white which my eyes are not happy with...but I turned down brightness which helps for sure.

So for me, iOS 7 is great on iPhone 5.

The iPad for me is a another story.
I am not moving to iOS7 on my iPad 3 or iPad 2, It's just doesn't feel right, and yeah it has some slowness in spots...even after completely new install.

So I am happy for now with iOS6 on iPads and iOS 7 on the phone.

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
1. iTunes 11, with the traditional left side bar turned on, isn't much different than iTunes 10 to me. But I don't even have the left bar on and iTunes 11 has always been fine. I don't get the 11 hate.
2. Are the animations slower than ios6? Yes, but it isn't enough to bother me, and I tend to like the animations anyway.
3. I wish the weathe showed the extended forecast in the notification center like iOS 6 did.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Tks for your answers (please keep them coming!); just another question:

Are we moving towards app fragmentation with iOS7 or are the newest app updates keeping compatibility with iOS6 as well? I would hate to see that a certain updated app no longer runs on iOS 6 (in case I decide to keep it in my iPad 3).

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Re: iTunes 11, it's not *too* bad if you turn on the sidebar (makes it look more like 10), and turn off "search entire library" (makes search behave more like 10).

It's not perfect; for example it clears your search results when you switch between your library and the store (which is a real pain when you're trying to make sure that your tags match) but it's much better than with the defaults.

Edit: Warning, danger, alert, caution! Since upgrading to 11.1 I can no longer watch videos; they work fine in windowed mode but the sound stops when I go to fullscreen. A quick search indicates that this is a widespread issue.

Last edited:

CHMK

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
1. no clue

2. momentary bit of lag on iphone 5 when running graphically intensive apps and memory hoggers such as infinity blade 3, which is normal.

3. since the clock icon was updated to reflect the current time, why cant the weather app do the same? i also thing panorama wallpaper should be an offered feature for those who are willing to forsake a bit of battery life for a sick moving wallpaper.

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA

Tks for your advice.

1. I cannot comment on iTunes 11 as I barely use it; just updated so I could make an emergency backup on my laptop (I usually back up via iCloud).

2. I have experienced no graphics/animation sluggishness on my iPhone 5 while running iOS 7. Some people reportedly have, but the majority have had a great experience.

3. For me, it's the wallpaper scaling issue. The fact that I have to turn Reduce Motion on to set a wallpaper without have iOS 7 automatically zoom in is bothersome. Even then, I still can fully zoom out of the pic and adjust the way I want to. I seriously hope this gets changed down the road.

just another question:

Are we moving towards app fragmentation with iOS7 or are the newest app updates keeping compatibility with iOS6 as well? I would hate to see that a certain updated app no longer runs on iOS 6 (in case I decide to keep it in my iPad 3).

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/1...pps-for-users-running-legacy-versions-of-ios/

Last edited:

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
Tks for your answers (please keep them coming!); just another question:

I think the adoption rate on iPads will be less than the iPhone.

So yes fragmentation is a certainty, in fact Apple did something I never expected, they are keeping last compatible versions of apps now! I think even Apple knows iOS 7 is not right yet on the iPads, and since many developers are going to make iOS 7 only upgrades to apps, Apple is offering older versions which is odd for them, they usually want to push people into the next OS, allowing this is very telling.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Thanks for all your feedback - but due to the overwhelming negative reactions to iOS 7 on the Net (including a lot of people no longer able to revert to iOS 6) and my scarce love for iTunes 11, I will wait a little longer before updating.

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011
Thanks for all your feedback - but due to the overwhelming negative reactions to iOS 7 on the Net (including a lot of people no longer able to revert to iOS 6) and my scarce love for iTunes 11, I will wait a little longer before updating.

Unfortunately it is same reaction on anything new, Louis CK having funny jokes about people not happy with cell phones, listen them on iRadio if you like :) iOS6 is long time outdated and needs replacement. Actually it needs replacement more than my iphone5 or ipad4 :) I like it in general, no slowness may be very minor only.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011

Tks for your advice.

2) it's roughly on par with iOS 6. Not as immaculately smooth, but pretty close. On my Mini it looks awful because of the thin fonts and blown-up elements.

3) The visuals. Just looks piss-poor to me.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I think the adoption rate on iPads will be less than the iPhone.

So yes fragmentation is a certainty, in fact Apple did something I never expected, they are keeping last compatible versions of apps now! I think even Apple knows iOS 7 is not right yet on the iPads, and since many developers are going to make iOS 7 only upgrades to apps, Apple is offering older versions which is odd for them, they usually want to push people into the next OS, allowing this is very telling.

I think you misunderstood the "last compatible versions of apps" thing.

It's for devices that couldn't upgrade to iOS 7. Or 6. Or whatever. Like the 3GS, for instance, which couldn't upgrade to iOS 7. That way people can still use a 3GS without worrying about the apps they use getting updated and becoming incompatible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.