Three women, kidnapped a decade ago, found alive

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Thomas Veil, May 7, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Brrr. Living in northern Ohio as I do, I remember the Amanda Berry case very well. The poor girl left her job at Burger King and never made it home...

Freaking creepy story, but at least it has a happy ending. :)

2. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

3. macrumors demi-god

firedept

His comment is saddening. But he is a good man to have done what he did to help these three women regain their freedom. I have a suggestion as to what to do to the three brothers who are involved, but I best leave it unsaid.

4. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

I'm not sure the ending is quite happy. It is better than many other outcomes, but these women will be permanently scarred.

5. macrumors 603

A fair trial to determine the true facts of the case and to allocate proper justice based on the participation of the brothers who are alleged to have committed the crime? Or is that too old-fashioned?

Due to the 6 year old child, I suspect that there will be another charge laid as soon as some DNA tests are run.

6. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Absolutely, they deserve a fair trial. And if convicted, they should be put in jail for the rest of their lives.

7. macrumors demi-god

firedept

Should have worded my comment better. I should have said "if convicted".

8. macrumors 601

eawmp1

I hope the women (and the child) get a lot of counselling in what will likely be a long recovery from their ordeal.

9. macrumors 68000

Antares

If found guilty, they should hopefully get sentenced to prison for the combined amount of time the women were held captive. That would be a fitting punishment.

10. macrumors 65816

TheAppleFairy

I disagree, it should be more than that amount of time.

What if he kidnapped 3 girls and kept them captive for 1 year? Would 3 years be enough?

Life imprisonment without parole would be enough if you ask me.

11. macrumors 68040

bradl

This I agree. We only need to look as far as the Jaci Lee Duggar case to see what may happen here. Yes, the time was shorter, but still, I feel horrible for the women and what they went through. Even more so, I feel for the parents.

BL.

12. thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I looked it up, and the minimum sentence in Ohio for kidnapping with risk of serious physical harm is fifteen years to life. I don't know how it's all going to shake out on Ariel Castro being the mastermind vs. his brothers being "only" accomplices, etc., but Ariel alone could be looking at a minimum of 45 years. And that's without getting into the issue of rape.

(I'm curious, though, how they could prove rape. The child's DNA is obviously evidence, but that's potentially only one count. Proof of rape usually requires evidence obtained very quickly after the event...and this was going on for years.)

It's kind of odd watching the wall-to-wall Cleveland area media coverage. On the one hand, you want to feel celebratory for these women (as their families and neighbors do). It is wonderful that they're finally free. On the other hand, just thinking about what they went through leaves me completely weirded out.

13. macrumors 601

Don't panic

i am not sure they will need to get the rape convictions to get a life sentence for this guy (or guys), but the women can probably testify to it being done to the others.

14. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

These guys kidnapped three girls and held them for a decade. Don't worry about the length of their prison terms; they won't last long...

15. macrumors 65816

juanm

Yep, rapists and child molesters are known to have a bad time behind bars...

16. macrumors 68040

0dev

17. macrumors G3

rhett7660

That makes two of us. The things these women went through. On a side note at least from what it sounds like they were in a house and not locked in the basement or shed underground the entire time.

18. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is hard not to follow this story in the media. There are so many odd stories floating around about the captors helping with the search 10 years ago and the article the son wrote 10 years ago about the kidnapping. I realize the son wasn't living there at the time, but it is still odd.

None of these girls will have a completely normal life, ever. I feel for them.

19. macrumors 65816

TheAppleFairy

That's one of my reasons for saying the people responsible for these types of crimes deserve harsh punishments. The other reason is just the fact that he took a large chunk of someone freedom/civil rights/life from them, you don't deserve the rights you have denied another person.

20. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed. If convicted, they should spend the rest of their lives in prison.

21. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Thats great! Now I've got it stuck in my head! lol

22. macrumors Core

MacNut

So the cops are saying no one ever reported the house, the neighbors are saying they called the cops all the time. Seems like somewhere there is an information black hole.

23. macrumors 603

quagmire

24. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

25. macrumors G3

Huntn

No doubt scarred, but I view it as a very happy ending as compared to the alternative ending. I'm sure that for some people this would be a life ruining experience and for others, they will overcome and come to terms with it.