Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I apologise if there is a similar post, but I was in a rush.

Does anyone have any information on when the new updated Thunderbolt display is being released.

I'm not too concerned about 4K etc.
I just don't want to buy the current "ancient" model, to find out that the new one is being released in the next couple of months.

Thanks, :cool:

Nemic

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
My (current) guess would be that the new display will be launched close to when the new Mac Pro becomes available in December.

I have been waiting for a new Apple display since the launch of the current iMac.

No idea if they will actually release one, but I hope that they will.

As for 4K who knows? Maybe they will release two models with a 4K model being the premuim one?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
What would be the point to upgrade to TB2 without 4K? Current-res image passes through TB very nicely.
Such an upgrade would sound like pure spec update without purpose.

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Thanks for the responses Nemic and priitv8,

I'm not that concerned with 4K, but the current model is quite old.
Well, it obviously doesn't have the new Thunderbolt 2 and it still has USB 2.0.

I think it could do with some kind of refresh?
I wouldn't mind one with a screen similar to the new iMacs, they seem to be less reflective.

marku5

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
Austria
im quite interested in this topic too..

just got my maxed out imac 27" 2013..

has anyone got a clue if thunderbolt (not version 2) could support 4k video streaming?

how much data/ second would one have to calculate with?

i' really love to see a 30" 4k display from apple!

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
im quite interested in this topic too..

just got my maxed out imac 27" 2013..

has anyone got a clue if thunderbolt (not version 2) could support 4k video streaming?

how much data/ second would one have to calculate with?

i' really love to see a 30" 4k display from apple!

No the 2013 iMacs came with the same thunderbolt chip (cactus ridge) that the 2012s came with this can not do display port 1.2 which is needed to handle 4k content. Only the new 2013 Mac Pro and 2013 MacBook Pros have thunderbolt with display port 1.2.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
What would be the point to upgrade to TB2 without 4K? Current-res image passes through TB very nicely.
Such an upgrade would sound like pure spec update without purpose.
Why do such an upgrade? So it's possible to have all Thunderbolt 2 devices on a TB2 port. To update its USB ports to USB 3.0. And maybe to match the display to look like the current iMac. But it better still have a FireWire port.

marku5

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
Austria
No the 2013 iMacs came with the same thunderbolt chip (cactus ridge) that the 2012s came with this can not do display port 1.2 which is needed to handle 4k content. Only the new 2013 Mac Pro and 2013 MacBook Pros have thunderbolt with display port 1.2.

why does it need display port 1.2?
thunderbolt should have enough bandwidth.. right?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Why do such an upgrade? So it's possible to have all Thunderbolt 2 devices on a TB2 port. To update its USB ports to USB 3.0. And maybe to match the display to look like the current iMac. But it better still have a FireWire port.
Such thing would be much cheaper as TB2 dock, without the expensive, yet last year's spec, display, right?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
why does it need display port 1.2?
thunderbolt should have enough bandwidth.. right?

Because video is transferred via display port video standard and display port 1.1 maxes out at 2560x1600 this could not carry a 4k display signal.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Such thing would be much cheaper as TB2 dock, without the expensive, yet last year's spec, display, right?
Kind of. If you take a Thunderbolt Dock and add a display the quality of the display in the iMac with a display adapter, you may as well buy a Thunderbolt display from Apple. And of course an updated display might actually match the current iMac. So yes, an updated Thunderbolt display even if it's the same display that the iMacs currently have is a good thing.

marku5

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
Austria
Because video is transferred via display port video standard and display port 1.1 maxes out at 2560x1600 this could not carry a 4k display signal.

oh,
thats unfortunate..
as i just bought an maxed out imac 27"
and am going to buy apples next version of an thunderbolt display if its a little bit bigger than the current ones... (and hopefully 4k res)

but thanks for the info!

doubleaa

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Kind of. If you take a Thunderbolt Dock and add a display the quality of the display in the iMac with a display adapter, you may as well buy a Thunderbolt display from Apple. And of course an updated display might actually match the current iMac. So yes, an updated Thunderbolt display even if it's the same display that the iMacs currently have is a good thing.

I agree. I'd buy one in a second if released. I want a display/dock for my wife and I to use with our MacBook Pros.

Today I have a make shift one using a 22" monitor connected with DVI to Mini Display adapter, USB hub, audio cable, and a MagSafe for power. I had to switch my external HD from FireWire2 to USB2 and lost my wired port now that I upgraded to a rMBP. I wasn't going to another $60 on adapters when I can put that towards a monitor with everything built in.

Hopefully Apple will release one soon.

MaulRx

Suspended
Aug 27, 2012
The display models at my local Apple Store are different then the ones they sell. They have MagSafe 2 instead of the original. Maybe that means a new one is coming?

MaulRx

Suspended
Aug 27, 2012
I thought so to because unless I've missed something they are supposed to be MagSafe with the adapter, not MagSafe 2. I was test driving one on my MBA, worked perfectly.

doubleaa

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
The display models at my local Apple Store are different then the ones they sell. They have MagSafe 2 instead of the original. Maybe that means a new one is coming?

They are using a separate MagSafe for the notebooks hooked up to TBD in the stores. The cables are hidden and it just appears it's connected to the display for power.

MaulRx

Suspended
Aug 27, 2012
They are using a separate MagSafe for the notebooks hooked up to TBD in the stores. The cables are hidden and it just appears it's connected to the display for power.

Nope, I thought that too, I followed the cord from my MBA to the back of the display.

mangotears

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
-slimmer chassis
-laminated glass
-usb 3
-magsafe2
-tb2
-displayport(non-tb) compatibility? (unlikely)

I've been wanting/waiting to buy a thunderbolt display since the beginning of the year but I couldn't ever justify buying it when the chassis/glass, usb and magsafe ports are all already outdated.. especially when these are all things I'm paying a premium for over something like a dell u2713hm which performs competitively (panel, backlighting, calibration, connectivity, qc, return policy) at $400 less. Even the apple rep discouraged me from buying one like back in march, since an updated model was expected to "come out soon"

neilmacd

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
UK
Add an iMac type power button as well please..

I want the option of running headless via VNC without the screen coming on :(

doubleaa

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
MagSafe 2 only would keep me from buying one. My wife uses a cMBP.

I really don't need USB 3 so I am considering buying the current version. I'd just hate to spend a grand with a slimmer higher res version right around the corner.

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Backwards compatible?

Hopefully they'll be backwards compatible also.
My wife would like to use the new Thunderbolt 2 Display with her new (Mid 2013) MacBook Air also.

Time will tell, I suppose...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.