Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well I hope Apple does support it by giving out the API stuff, that way everyone is happy.

Though with VR coming around and Tim mentioned that it's one of the areas Apple is interested in, I suspect we might be seeing powerful GPUs in the Macs (or some sort) soon

Reactions: rdav

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Many manufacturers are working on a casing for thunderbolt 3. Since this is the version where eGPU are officially supported, that's also going to have the least problems.
If the new Macbooks support thunderbolt 3 and eGPU works in Bootcamp, i'll be very happy.
Was planing on buying both, a Gamer Laptop and a Macbook... but this will be much better for my needs!
All i need to do is... wait.

waxonwaxoff

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2012
This announcement was really promising until I read that the Thunderbolt 2 version was only being sold in the kickstarter campaign... Really?

So they announce a product and their marketing is pretty squarely aimed at mac laptop users, all current macs have thunderbolt 2 (at most) but to get the wolfe to work on a macbook you currently own you have to purchase it in the kickstarter campaign.

I took a look for a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 converter/dongle/thingamy and found one but its for TB 3 computers that want to connect Tb 2 peripherals

Im kinda bummed out now..... I am not the most knowledgeable guy on the technical side of computers so can any of you provide a silver lining, are there any peripherals that can allow me to use the wolfe on my 2015 MBP if I purchase it after the kickstarter campaign?

Money is tight right now so I cant stump up $300 - $500 on a product released next year (maybe) and Im sure as **** not going to get a new laptop to support this (if they do release a 2016 mbp with TB3.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
What size cards fit in this chassis? It doesn't look anywhere near long enough to fit a full length card, but they do make a GeForce 1070 in half length... hmm...

Fishcake21

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011

A Kickstarter project for a high-performance desktop GPU that can plug into a MacBook via Thunderbolt and is compatible with the Oculus Rift VR headset has raised its backing target of $50,000 in less than 24 hours.

The Wolfe is a portable box that contains an Nvidia desktop-class graphics card and connects to a MacBook or other laptop via Thunderbolt 2 (or potentially Thunderbolt 3), and promises vastly improved performance for gaming, virtual reality, graphic design, and video editing.

VR2-800x533.jpg

The team behind the Wolfe claims owners of newer laptops can expect performance increases up to 500 percent when using a Wolfe box, or up to 1000 percent with the Wolfe Pro, while older computers are said to see even more dramatic performance gains.
The box runs off a 220W PSU and has three DisplayPort 1.2 connections, one HDMI 2.0 and one DVI-I port. The Thunderbolt connection also offers the potential for more than one Wolfe box to be used with one laptop, for building a render farm or for a multi-monitor setup, say the makers.

Kickstarter early-bird pledges of $399 or more get backers a Wolfe box powered by a GTX 950 with the option of Thunderbolt 2 or 3 connectivity, while a standard pledge costs $449. An early-bird pledge for the Wolfe Pro is $549 ($599 for a standard pledge). A Wolfe DIY pack for modders who want to use their own GPU costs $269.

The makers note that while the Wolfe will increase laptop display performance, the best results are expected to come with using an external monitor or VR headset, due to the inherent bandwidth restrictions in Thunderbolt 2.

The project was conceived by a group of Harvard computer science graduates and Mac-owning gaming enthusiasts, after they hacked together a prototype GPU box in a DeWolfe dorm room at Harvard.

The team has continued to improve the hardware and software at the Harvard Innovation Lab, with the aim of making Macs "performance powerhouses" and "to stop big companies from charging outrageous prices for minuscule upgrades" by letting users take control of their computer's performance. The Kickstarter project page quotes a shipping aim of February 2017.

The project comes five months after Oculus Rift founder Palmer Luckey suggested VR headset support for the Mac was "up to Apple," and that the company needed to "prioritize higher-end GPUs." If Apple builds a machine that can handle the hardware, Oculus VR would "love to support Mac," said Luckey.

Article Link: Thunderbolt Device Promises Desktop-Class GPU Performance For MacBooks
They tried this before... and I remember it failed due to apples strict kernel restrictions needed for dgpus. Every osx release makes it difficult including mac models. Expensive too.

theitsage

Suspended
Aug 28, 2005
You can build an AIO docking station with off the shelves parts. A mini ITX case can house an ATX PSU, full length GPU, and Thunderbolt expansion for Ethernet, USB 3, eSATA, Audio, Optical Drive, and external HDD/SSD. One Thunderbolt cable to convert a Mac laptop into a powerful and full-featured Mac desktop.

Here's an example - Radeon RX 480 eGPU docking station.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

theitsage

Suspended
Aug 28, 2005
Sierra has better support for eGPU than previous Mac OS versions. The main reason is cost and possible legal repercussion.

Intel showed its eGPU concept at least 4 years ago but never really let that vision go mainstream. To market an eGPU using Thunderbolt in macOS/Windows, one needs certifications.

I can't speak to their software solution but the hardware pieces are very commonly used in the DIY eGPU community.

1. AKiTiO Thunder2 enclosure - $220
2. Dell DA-2 220W PSU - $30
3. GPU w/ 150W TDP or less

Here's an example with a Sapphire Radeon RX 470 ($200 GPU).

egpu-components-akitio-thunder2-dell-da-2-rx-470.jpg

egpu-radeon-rx-470-akitio-thunder2-1264x843.jpg

egpu-amd-rx-470-macbook-air-lg-ultrawide.jpg

Reactions: DeepIn2U

rgilvert

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2016

A Kickstarter project for a high-performance desktop GPU that can plug into a MacBook via Thunderbolt and is compatible with the Oculus Rift VR headset has raised its backing target of $50,000 in less than 24 hours.

The Wolfe is a portable box that contains an Nvidia desktop-class graphics card and connects to a MacBook or other laptop via Thunderbolt 2 (or potentially Thunderbolt 3), and promises vastly improved performance for gaming, virtual reality, graphic design, and video editing.

VR2-800x533.jpg

The team behind the Wolfe claims owners of newer laptops can expect performance increases up to 500 percent when using a Wolfe box, or up to 1000 percent with the Wolfe Pro, while older computers are said to see even more dramatic performance gains.
The box runs off a 220W PSU and has three DisplayPort 1.2 connections, one HDMI 2.0 and one DVI-I port. The Thunderbolt connection also offers the potential for more than one Wolfe box to be used with one laptop, for building a render farm or for a multi-monitor setup, say the makers.

Kickstarter early-bird pledges of $399 or more get backers a Wolfe box powered by a GTX 950 with the option of Thunderbolt 2 or 3 connectivity, while a standard pledge costs $449. An early-bird pledge for the Wolfe Pro is $549 ($599 for a standard pledge). A Wolfe DIY pack for modders who want to use their own GPU costs $269.

The makers note that while the Wolfe will increase laptop display performance, the best results are expected to come with using an external monitor or VR headset, due to the inherent bandwidth restrictions in Thunderbolt 2.

The project was conceived by a group of Harvard computer science graduates and Mac-owning gaming enthusiasts, after they hacked together a prototype GPU box in a DeWolfe dorm room at Harvard.

The team has continued to improve the hardware and software at the Harvard Innovation Lab, with the aim of making Macs "performance powerhouses" and "to stop big companies from charging outrageous prices for minuscule upgrades" by letting users take control of their computer's performance. The Kickstarter project page quotes a shipping aim of February 2017.

The project comes five months after Oculus Rift founder Palmer Luckey suggested VR headset support for the Mac was "up to Apple," and that the company needed to "prioritize higher-end GPUs." If Apple builds a machine that can handle the hardware, Oculus VR would "love to support Mac," said Luckey.

Update September 23: The Wolfe team has canceled its Kickstarter campaign and refunded all pledges due to uncertainty over product certification.The team notes it remains committed to the project and is working with "new partners in the industry" to develop "an even better product."

Article Link: Thunderbolt Device Promises Desktop-Class GPU Performance for MacBooks [Updated]

Too bad that these big companies have so much power that these initiatives are coming to a grinding halt whereas customers are crying out loud for better performance!!!

Reactions: rdav

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
We've hoping for external GPUs for so long now; I remember when Thunderbolt first came out, that was one of the ideas MR readers were really excited about. A thin, light laptop with great battery life for portability - then just plug in an external GPU if you want to do high end gaming. Shame it never really materialised.

I really hope Apple are considering this. They wouldn't even have to really do any work. Just release an SDK to allow this functionality on OS X and 3rd party graphics manufacturers can do the hard part of releasing the hardware. I know it would be massively popular.

I've been waiting since 2001! This is NOT a new concept, in fact a single company sold their own laptop and desktop which the laptop used a proprietary connection cable to run display, power and processing power to the desktop for more cpu/gpu performance yet the laptop was the keyboard/mouse and could host files. This company quickly went under. I'm not sure whom their target market was or the name of the company but I did see their offers in a computer mag back then.

Seems like the RAZOR CORE is compatible. Makes me even think why purchase a 15" MBP now considering the huge price difference other than getting a quad-core cpu.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/5l3y0a/egpu_my_experience_with_the_15_tmbp_2016_and_a_15/?

Razer Core already does this. Chuck in any gpu you want and off you go.
No Mac support and is stupidly expensive. Though is a dedicated eGPU that's getting good reviews.

I hope these things get standardization and start pushing out to market.

Doh ... just realizing a newer thread on this as I'm just finding out about this tech. SWEET!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.