Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatgreenvw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Ok so I bought this cable (http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-8m-Displa...C8R2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324730127&sr=8-2) from amazon to connect my second monitor to my mini however when I connected it up although the mini would register that there was a second monitor present in display settings the second screen would just display 'no signal'. I tried the cable with the other screen and another 2 sets and each time I always got the same result of no signal, apart from once when briefly I got a fuzzy white noise picture with the second desktop underneath the snow. Could it be a faulty cable or the port itself perhaps?

If anyone else uses this setup and has a cable to recommend that'd be awesome.

thatgreenvw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Yeah both are 1080p screens, thinking I might send back the cable and just get a VGA adapter since I have a spare VGA cable lying around

thatgreenvw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
ok an update:

Returned the MDP->HDMI cable and bought a mdp->vga adapter from the apple shop today, however this isn't working with either tv either, checking reviews online it seems samsungs have an issue with this and i should instead use a dvi adapter instead which i'll hopefully be able to swap for tomorrow.

However i do now wonder whether there might be an issue with the mini itself.

thatgreenvw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Ok so i've now tried
a MDP->HDMI cable in 3 samsung tvs
a MDP->VGA converter from the apple store in a samsung and LG monitor
a MDP->DVI converter from the apple store in a samsung and LG monitor

Only with the first cable did i get any sign of the second screen being detected in that display prefs would show the settings for a second screen but i'd never get a picture. With both converters i've never got a hint of the second screen being detected.

At this point i'm thinking there is a problem with the mac, so i'm just wondering if anyone else has any experience?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.