Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DenBeke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
Antwerp
I'm looking for a Thunderbolt dock, but don't find a lot of them with optical audio output.
So I was thinking of buying a cheaper regular dock, and using some sort of thunderbolt to optical audio adapter. Does such a thing exists? Does it give decent quality?

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
United States
Don't all macs have a toslink in the headphone port? I know my iMac does. You just have to get a mini toslink to toslink cable. What model Mac do you have?

DenBeke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
Antwerp
All Macs have indeed optical audio, but I'd like to have a cheap solution for a thunderbolt docking station with dvi/hdmi, ethernet and optical audio.
I thought I could buy a cheaper dock, and put some toslink adapter on it...

Kaspin

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2015
There are USB DACs with optical out that shouldn't be too expensive

DenBeke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
Antwerp
Thanks!
Maybe I should just invest in an overpriced thunderbolt dock with optical audio... That'll be the easiest solution.

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
United States
Do any of the thunderbolt docks actually have optical audio builtin? I haven't seen any yet. Even if there is one, you're really limiting your purchasing choices for just one extra cable you'd have to plug in when you get home. You can just leave that one next to your dock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.