Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zuggerat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2003
NY
my Ti Book has been getting really hot and the fan has been coming on a lot. even when im searching the web and using ichat. should this be? what could be causing the computer to heat up so much just from regular multitasking programs. thanx for all comments in advance

ps.

Ti book G4
1 ghz g4
1gb ram
40 gb hd
cd-rw/dvdrom
etc etc

just incase that matters at all

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
I have a similar machine, except with superdrive and 60 GB disk. I'm folding all the time, so my fan runs continuously, bit it isn't hot to the touch.

Perhaps you have something running in the background that's consuming a lot of CPU? You can open a terminal and run the 'top' command to see what processes are using the most CPU and memory.

Otherwise, I'd look for restricted air flow due to obstruction of the various air vents. This could be dust buildup or objects too close or sitting it on bedding or ???

Some folks suggest putting small risers of some sort under the rear corners to improve air flow on the bottom side of the machine.

HTH

zuggerat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2003
NY
yeah i have a "cooling stand"...it's still hot to the touch and the fan comes on all the time. my only complaint...otherwise i love the thing. you think that panther will reduce the load on the processor? casue when i run the process tracker the thing shoots up like crazy when i use the web, ichat, and itunes.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Well, iTunes could do it (use a lot of CPU) depending on what you are doing. I've used Panther on and off since WWDC (legally) and it is a *lot* faster. I saw a post that indicated Safari uses about 40% less CPU under Panther. Panther also is reported to make more efficient use of memory.

zuggerat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2003
NY
excellent... thanx man just what i needed to hear...efficiency is a major plus especially with portables

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.