Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2003
United States
I know any G4 will work with iChat, but how good is it? I'd like to be able to video conference with my family while I'm away in medical school...but I'm worried my G4 400mhz Tibook (512MB RAM) won't cut it.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
the key factor for video chatting is broadband, you need to have a fast connection in order for it work very well, i dont see why your book would have a problem with it to be honest

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
Your G4 will be ok for "standard quality" video.

15fps at 176x144 resolution.

See the iChat AV section on Apple's website

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2003
United States
diamond geezer said:
Your G4 will be ok for "standard quality" video.

15fps at 176x144 resolution.

See the iChat AV section on Apple's website

Thanks for the reply! I just checked out 176x144 and that is SMALL. Can I make it bigger or would I need a faster processor, assuming my bandwidth is fast enough?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I'm currently having my Tibook 400 upgraded by Daystar to 550mhz. The expense is worth it because most of the components on my computer are new and I accidently cracked the plastic side of the case near where you plug in speakers/earphones, causing a stress fracture near the hinge (which will turn ugly soon.) So they are putting on a new top case and airport card all at the same time. I have a gig of ram in it and have no intention of giving it up soon. Just thought of mentioning the idea of upgrading your Tibook. It may seem an unjustified expense for some, but I am now so used to the keyboard and have heard so many complaints about newer Apple laptop keyboards that I just don't want to part with this GREAT machine.

Sorry no help on the video question except an upgrade might make it run better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.