Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Originally posted by Over Achiever
All I know is that the most famous road in Paris is the Champs-Elysse (I butchered the spelling :)) but the road seems too narrow to actually be that road.
Close on the spelling. Champs Elysées. [edit, forgot final s]

It also appears you're correct (being too wide, that is), but then again, it might be the angle.

Champs.jpg

The last time I went to France was in late 1990 when I was young, though; so I can't exactly help out either.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
so that's champs-elysees, what about the picture on the powerbook? i would think it could be found like the hong kong picture from the cinema displays. and yet, i'm lost on it.

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
The spelling is Champs-Élysées.

I doubt that picture is the Champs-Élysées: it is way too narrow, the proportions don't seem right. Besides there are trees all along the real one (on both sides).

My 2 cents.

Nico (i'm french and i have lived several years in Paris, that's why...)

Originally posted by NicoMan
The spelling is Champs-Élysées.

I doubt that picture is the Champs-Élysées: it is way too narrow, the proportions don't seem right. Besides there are trees all along the real one (on both sides).

My 2 cents.

Nico (i'm french and i have lived several years in Paris, that's why...)
Oops, I had a typo and forgot the final s.

Why an accent on the capitalized E? I'm taking French now in school and they keep saying if there would be an accent on the lower case version, remove the accent on the upper case version.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by MacCoaster

Oops, I had a typo and forgot the final s.

Why an accent on the capitalized E? I'm taking French now in school and they keep saying if there would be an accent on the lower case version, remove the accent on the upper case version.

Same thing I get called at school. My teacher, who is french, says not to put the accents there.

Edit: I remember this picture being there forever, I believe when the tibook first came out. It *think* it was one of their publicity shots.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
man, lol, you'd think they'd put it out or something. didn't they post that hong kong cinema HD one? i have that one, dunno where i got it... yeah. humbug!

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by MacCoaster

Waaaait-a-minit!

You just reminded me of that "rushing" through city streets in a PowerBook TV ad. Is that the exact same thing you're talking about?

I don't think so. i think that is yet another image that's out there i can't find. that's like a car going through a tunnel or something, i have seen an image of that one too.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
well, i really hate to answer my own question so fast, but i got it in my mind that i found that hong kong pic @ the spymac galleries (don't get me wrong, i don't go there often...). so i went over there and spent ~10 minutes browsing the screenies (could have just typed in my keywords, but alas... i am pretty stupid) and i found this: http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9032&size=big. take it for what it's worth, hope some of you guys would like it too, so i haven't TOTALLY wasted my time posting. on the bright side, we all learned a little more about Paris and Champs-Élysées... yeah.

[edit] and surprise, surprise, the guy did what i should have done--taken it out of the stinking TIFF, though that has to be of questionable legality. i don't guess i care, though; i really like that pic. [/edit]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.