Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan1997

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I posted a similar problem a while ago with this computer, but after some trial and error, narrowed it down to this.

The powerBook starts up with a battery, but as soon as I plug in the adapter, the machine shuts down, and I have no idea why. Unplugging it allows it to start again, only on th ebattery. The computer is a first revision 400MHz model.

Any help is appreciated!

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
It could be faulty adapter or faulty DC board. Is your adapter charging battery properly when computer is off? Did you try to start without battery, only with adapter plugged in?

applefan1997

macrumors 6502
Original poster
The AC adapter is good, as I've used the battery and adapter from another G4 as well. I guessed it was the dc board, as if it's shorting out, and some whining sounds come on at least if i try to start it up. I think it's soldered to the logic board, unlike the later models however.
Thanks!

applefan1997

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sorry to bring back an old topic, but I've been able to diagnose it a little further.

The DC jack is indeed soldered to the motherboard, but I don't think that's the cause of the problem.

The whining sounds seems to be coming from the PMU board, and when I disconnect the PRAM battery, it subsides but the issue never changes.

So, should I replace the PMU to give it another shot?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.