Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alkalifly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
A new tweak in BigBoss repo is supposed to protect us jailbreak users from the CVE-2016-4631 vulnerability, since we can't just update to 9.3.3 which patches it.

I just wanted to post a heads up here since I hadn't seen any mention yet

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Installing it means you cannot load ANY TIFF files on your iDevice.

Judgment call here based on each person's situation.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
From what I have read about it I'm okay on iOS 8.4, is that right?

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
This will do until something better comes along.

Really only installing this as a rare occurrence. I have never received a tiff file from anyone anyway.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This will do until something better comes along.

Really only installing this as a rare occurrence. I have never received a tiff file from anyone anyway.
I am a Graphic Designer by profession. TIFF is but one format of the kinds of files I deal with all day every day.

Not an option on my iPhone.

dawindmg08

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2008
Los Angeles
How easy is it to infect OS X with this exploit? My mom saw this news and is freaking out; she does't have an iPhone but is still on Mountain Lion on her Macbook Air. I think the odds are low that she'll have any issues, but would it be possible that SPAM with ones of these TIFF files could be an issue?

Sam Luis Obispo

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2006
How easy is it to infect OS X with this exploit? My mom saw this news and is freaking out; she does't have an iPhone but is still on Mountain Lion on her Macbook Air. I think the odds are low that she'll have any issues, but would it be possible that SPAM with ones of these TIFF files could be an issue?
What if she were to uncheck the box that says "automatically download all attachments" (It is located in Preferences - Accounts - Advanced)?

alkalifly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
Correct. It's only lower versions of iOS 9 that are affected by this.
Are you sure this is correct? I read the blog entry at http://blog.talosintel.com/2016/07/apple-image-rce.html which says "this vulnerability affects both OS X 10.11.5 and iOS 9.3.2 and is believed to be present in all previous versions". I interpreted "all previous versions" to include pre-iOS9 as well. But I would be happy to find out that I was wrong about that, as I am on 8.4

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Are you sure this is correct? I read the blog entry at http://blog.talosintel.com/2016/07/apple-image-rce.html which says "this vulnerability affects both OS X 10.11.5 and iOS 9.3.2 and is believed to be present in all previous versions". I interpreted "all previous versions" to include pre-iOS9 as well. But I would be happy to find out that I was wrong about that, as I am on 8.4
I was wrong.

Apparently I didn't read too closely. Sorry for the misinformation.

Reactions: alkalifly
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.