Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micsaund

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2004
Colorado, USA
Hi all,

I did a format and fresh install of Tiger on my PB15 and most things seem to be working OK - until now.

I have a Dell 1600n network printer (PostScript3). I set the printer up in Tiger using the "Bonjour" magic and things seem to be fine. However, when I try to print (from Mail in this case), the queue monitor opens and then after a couple of seconds, sets to "stopped". I hit "Start" and again, a couple seconds go-by and then it sets to Stopped.

This printer was working flawlessly before the Tiger install -- I configured it the same magical way and it "just worked" (I was very impressed).

Anyway, I opened the console and I'm getting messages which may(not) be relevant:

No log handling enabled - turning on stderr logging
snmpInk: Unknown host (1600n.local.)

Maybe the lpr queue is getting incorrectly set for a hostname that does not exist? Any ideas or inklings on how to fix this? I chose this printer because of the generic PostScript network interface and like I said, it was functioning flawlessly under Panther (and the Tiger install is all that's changed).

Thanks,
Mike

micsaund

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2004
Colorado, USA
I solved this issue a while back and somebody just queried me as they having the same issue. Here is my reply to them in the hopes that maybe others will find it useful:
---
I did eventually solve the issue. It turned-out to be the same
problem I was having viewing my Slingbox over the wireless.

In my router, running the Sveasoft firmware, there is a setting
called "Filter Internet NAT Redirection (loopback)". I had to
enable that setting and then all of the "automagic"/broadcast
type services on my network started working.

You might check to see if you have a similar setting you can
fiddle with on your wireless router (assuming that you're using
a wireless setup).
---

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.