Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I searched around but i want a straight up answer. I just bought Tiger and don't know what to do. Upgrade or archive install. I don't want to lose all my programs and setting, but i also know that if you do the upgrade and keep your settings, people have been more prone to having problems with the OS then the people who do a clean install. What is the main difference bewtween the archive install and the upgrade install anyway? Do your files get stored either way from the old OS?

JackRipper

macrumors regular
May 14, 2002
South Carolina
Regular upgrade worked great for me. I haven't had a single problem with it yet on a Rev A G5 PM.

I've never done an Archive and Install so I can't help you there.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
JzzTrump22 said:
I searched around but i want a straight up answer. I just bought Tiger and don't know what to do. Upgrade or archive install. I don't want to lose all my programs and setting, but i also know that if you do the upgrade and keep your settings, people have been more prone to having problems with the OS then the people who do a clean install. What is the main difference bewtween the archive install and the upgrade install anyway? Do your files get stored either way from the old OS?

Yes, your files/programs are kept, either way. You might lose some settings/system hacks, but you're likely to have MANY fewer problems. The main reason to do an upgrade rather than archive/install is that it uses less HD space. The archive/install puts your old system in a separate folder.

Applespider

macrumors G4
The A&I keeps your application and user folders, then archives the current system to a previous systems and installs a fresh copy of Tiger. Then it puts your application and user files back again.

The upgrade only updates those files which have changed or are new. It's may be more likely to leave behind files in the System folder - hence why it's traditionally classed as being potentially more problematic.

Lots more detail here but bear in mind, he had trouble with the A&I since he chose not to bring his user files over.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
So i guess i'll do an upgrade and install since that seems to be the safest and easiest way to go. I have basically all my files backed up on dvd's and cd's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.