Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Try running Xbench and see what disk I/O score you get and compare it to other's scores.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Just to be specific here, you're actually having slow logins, not slow startups (well, the startup is a bit slower, but I concurr that it's due to more RAM while it checks it, but that doesn't explain the login.)

I didn't see anywhere here that you'd tried creating a clean user and timing the login to that. If you haven't, try it and compare; if the new user with absolutely nothing in it still takes a long time to log in its either OS or drive related. If it's fast, then it's definitely something about your settings on that user.

Also, is it just as slow when you log out and back in? That'll also narrow it down a bit.

Incidentally, the amount of stuff on the drive should be completely irrelevant unless (and really, even if) you're using Spotlight as part of the login process, which you're not. The only thing that matters significantly is free space, and assuming that the HD1 you mentioned is your boot drive, 9GB should be sufficient (in any case, as much as the PB has).

The faster login from the FW drive could be due to a severely fragmented boot drive, bu I'd be more inclined to think it's because of something cached that didn't get cloned.

uelef

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Germany, Wuerzburg
Well, in the end I cloned my Tiger startup disk (a Western Digital drive) to another harddisk (the original Seagate disk of my G5) - and now the login time is much shorter. I don't understand why - it must be a problem of the WD disk although checking the disk did not show any problems with this drive.
I really tried a lot - reinstalling Tiger, defragmenting the disk, deleting automatically loaded apps, deleting scanner drivers and other apps. But nothing helped. Only replacing the startup disk made my G5 fast again.
Xbench shows nearly the same results on both disk, the Seagate and the WD disk.

I don't understand what's wrong with the WD disk - it's a new one and a fast one. But this disk was the problem... Not using the WesternDigital disk as a startup drive is no problem - it is still in my G5. But only for data.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Ulf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.