Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
I do not need Facebook

I hope that Facebook integration can be turned off. I never need virtual friends.

glimp7

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009
Austin, Texas, US
Wtf?!

This guy dodges questions because he has no idea what he's talking about. Steve Jobs actually had a decent connection with research and development.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
This guy dodges questions because he has no idea what he's talking about. Steve Jobs actually had a decent connection with research and development.

Dodging questions means not answering. Not answering means keeping certain knowledge to Apple employees. Keeping certain knowledge to Apple employees means Tim Cook was serious when he said they are doubling down on security.

kenboy127

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
It's called two microphones for noise-cancellation.

The new iPad has voice dictation which works extremely well. Siri would be fantastic on an iPad regardless of noise-cancellation.

Is their any good reason Apple kept it from the iPad? Surely they plan on bringing it to more products, right?

I'm praying for an iOS 6 addition of Siri for iPad, though I know I should't get my hopes up.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Something being functional != being functional to certain standards.

There is a lot more to it than just being functional. Think about all the variables with voice command. Quality, voice level, background noise, etc. Do you legitimately think that Apple did not test this on other hardware? I think that is a ridiculous thing to believe. Apple tests so many things on so many products. Who are you to say whether or not a certain feature passed their tests when you have absolutely no idea what their tests are?

No matter what, it's more likely Apple withheld Siri from previous iPhones because they want people to upgrade. That's how business works. Proven over and over again. No need to know much about what Apple tests or not.

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
iOS 6.x will have (I trust), Twitter, Facebook and Sina Weibo integration. That should complete the core list of social media sites for major Apple markets. Only logical to expect it.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
No matter what, it's more likely Apple withheld Siri from previous iPhones because they want people to upgrade. That's how business works. Proven over and over again. No need to know much about what Apple tests or not.

A5 is better at suppressing background noise and singling out the users voice. That is a fact.

Why you wish to throw that fact out and only consider the business side is a mystery to me. Sure, that might be one reason. But you have no conclusive evidence for that. Show me some evidence that supports your claim without adding your evidence having any speculation. And saying "companies have taken out certain features on products to make users upgrade to the newer and more expensive one, so Apple is probably doing that now" is speculation.

I, however, have conclusive evidence explaining why the A5 found in the 4S is much better at canceling out background noise, something that would make Siri work better in different environments.

I am not throwing out the idea that they did it partially to make people upgrade, but you need to not be so closed minded. Not to mention, there are plenty of hardware reasons as to why people would upgrade. For example, better GPU, dual core CPU, better camera, 1080p video, etc.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Facebook, in my opinion, is only useful and at its best when used to keep in touch with family who live on the other side of the country who you only see once or twice a year, as well as to share photos and news with friends you physically know in real life.

It's the people who add hundreds of "friends" they know nothing about that taint Facebook. Well, that as well as their hunger for user information.

----------

A5 is better at suppressing background noise and singling out the users voice. That is a fact.

Why you wish to throw that fact out and only consider the business side is a mystery to me. Sure, that might be one reason. But you have no conclusive evidence for that. Show me some evidence that supports your claim without adding your evidence having any speculation. And saying "companies have taken out certain features on products to make users upgrade to the newer and more expensive one, so Apple is probably doing that now" is speculation.

I, however, have conclusive evidence explaining why the A5 found in the 4S is much better at canceling out background noise, something that would make Siri work better in different environments.

I am not throwing out the idea that they did it partially to make people upgrade, but you need to not be so closed minded. Not to mention, there are plenty of hardware reasons as to why people would upgrade. For example, better GPU, dual core CPU, better camera, 1080p video, etc.

Yet Siri on my JB iPhone 4 using iMZDL's proxy understands me both indoors and outdoors on a busy street, via either speaker or hands free.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Yet Siri on my JB iPhone 4 using iMZDL's proxy understands me both indoors and outdoors on a busy street, via either speaker or hands free.
Plenty of people complain about Siri's accuracy on the 4S. I can't imagine how many more would complain if the iPhone 4, with its inferior noise suppression, also was able to use Siri.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas

You are completely missing my point. Let me make it perfectly simple for you.

Your standards != Apple's standards

Your Siri tests != Apple's Siri tests

Siri works on your JB iPhone, thats great. But your biggest problem is following the faulty logic of "it works in my situations thus it must work in all situations."

Plenty of people complain about Siri's accuracy on the 4S. I can't imagine how many more would complain if the iPhone 4, with its inferior noise suppression, also was able to use Siri.

Totally agree.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
who the hell wants to read a transcript??? Why cant I just watch the video of it? Anyone know where I can find this???

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I don't give a rat's behind about Facebook or Twitter. Why is Apple wasting time worrying about it's integration into iOS 6?:mad:

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Damn... I don't WANT fb integration!.. I don't participate in fb!
I'm deeply skeptical of monolithic aggregators of personal information. I don't see the appeal at all.

What in the hell is wrong with Cook? Is this really what he thinks iPhone users are clamoring for?

SIRI is awesome though, and I hope there's further development of that feature.

Do not cheapen my iPhone by whoring it out to FB!!

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I don't give a rat's behind about Facebook or Twitter. Why is Apple wasting time worrying about it's integration into iOS 6?:mad:

And you know that, when they do, it won't be something you can uninstall. It'll be riiiight in there. I'd say this is worse than Android's bloatware (which is uninstallable or, at least, hideable).

Plus, it's just a matter of time before Facebook and Twitter will also be integrated heavily into OS X as Apple continues to become a money-grabbing corporation rather than the innovating company it once was.

PBP

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
Damn... I don't WANT fb integration!.. I don't participate in fb!
I'm deeply skeptical of monolithic aggregators of personal information. I don't see the appeal at all.

What in the hell is wrong with Cook? Is this really what he thinks iPhone users are clamoring for?

SIRI is awesome though, and I hope there's further development of that feature.

Do not cheapen my iPhone by whoring it out to FB!!
If you don't want fb integration, don't use it :rolleyes:. You're not forced to use it. I don't use twitter, and i dont care if its in iOS. just don't use it.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
If you don't want fb integration, don't use it :rolleyes:. You're not forced to use it. I don't use twitter, and i dont care if its in iOS. just don't use it.

I suppose that would be a function of exactly how integrated it is, and we don't know the answer to that question yet. I still think the priorities of Cook are wrongheaded.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Dodging questions means not answering. Not answering means keeping certain knowledge to Apple employees. Keeping certain knowledge to Apple employees means Tim Cook was serious when he said they are doubling down on security.

Yeah, it can also mean that they're just pretending to have something big in the pipeline while in reality they have nothing big left and only evolutionary upgrades will hit the stores over the next years.

In any case, only Steve Jobs could get away with that because he was an extraordinary presenter and sales person. Everybody else from Apple's management are just boring in comparison. Their version of secrecy is only tiring and not the least exciting, interesting or fascinating.

The cult of Apple doesn't work without Steve. Without him, they're just another big technology company and about as fascinating as Microsoft or Oracle.

I also hated his comment that "a whole generation was growing up that thought it should be free. If that continued you wouldn't have any artists. If that happens to movies, we won't have any great movies anymore."

This tells me a lot about the real Tim Cook and his way of thinking, and I really don't like the attitude behind this statement.

Artists were creating art long before there was a content industry that fed them. Nothing has ever really changed for the artists. What he actually means is that without their entire DRM **** (on movies and books), the content industry - of which Apple is a huge part - would disappear. Now guess what, in the digital age, artists no longer need old distribution channel. And then there is this thing called crowd funding which worked quite well for "Iron Sky" (in addition to funding from official sources). There's also that thing called product placement which makes sure that new James Bond movies are already in the black before they even make it to movie theaters.

Something tells me that artists would still be doing fine without the old content industry and its out-dated business model.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I'd argue a third of the Facebook user count is either spam accounts or non-participating. Still huge but a lot less impressive.

Facebook can very well know if an account is spam or not. If they publish a number, I believe it is for real users. It isn't really out of stretch to digest their massive numbers.

MCP-511

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
Got to admit ... I have zero interest in Facebook being integrated into my phone's OS. None.

Same here. If we are forced into it, a nice off switch to suppress it would be nice. For every account on FB there is yet another user totally not interested.

juannacho

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
The new iPad has voice dictation which works extremely well. Siri would be fantastic on an iPad regardless of noise-cancellation.

Is their any good reason Apple kept it from the iPad? Surely they plan on bringing it to more products, right?

I'm praying for an iOS 6 addition of Siri for iPad, though I know I should't get my hopes up.

The iPad (new & previous models) is a strange machine. I have one and it's all very nice and everything, but there are some quirks that just make no sense at all.

Namely the lack of Siri, A calculator(?), the clock(?!?)

No. Sense. At. All.

And don't tell me there are free calculator/clock apps. That's not the point. I just want to hear ONE good reason why they took them out in the first place.

Seriously?! Why??!!

As for Facebook integration. Whatever. God knows what makes these big organisations do the things they do. I mean yesterday it was all about Facebook launching their own phone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.