Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Just give me the option to use the AppleTV as a cable box. I have apple TVs in all the bedroom and would like to get HD in those rooms without a huge clunky cablebox. At least it's easy to hide the AppeTV behind the TV and can control it with the remote iPad/iPhone. I can use one HDMI input and be able to airstream without changing inputs on the TV.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Microsoft never "beat them to the punch" they simply have fast switching between things. Cable/Satellite is outdated, I canceled my subscription 3 years ago, I don't want the hassle of having to watch things when they want to play it. The winner will be who can easily get to and play content the fastest & easiest

FYI: ANYONE with original content... major networks, premium channels like HBO and Showtime, sports providers (ESPN), and even the likes of AMC... are NOT going to hand over their content to Apple, except for something similar to the already egregious per episode or per season fee.

So... AppleTV will basically be paying dumb money to stream from iTunes and fast-switching.

:apple:

----------

Xbox didn't "beat" anyone to anything. Xbox was and still is a lousy TV platform - it is still controlling your Cable/Sat box with IR repeaters, like it's 2002. And it has no visibility to your DVR recording. This is not the future of TV, it's the past.

I look forward to seeing how AppleTV improves on this. Because the current version... well, it's a joke.

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005

Unfortunately for Tim, xbox one beat them to the punch. All Apple can do is get a couple network deals and lay their UI on the TV experience. If they are allowed to BE the cable provider, it will be an improvement over the xbox and will be amazing, but we know that is not happening.

Technologically, Xbox1 is interesting. But it's too expensive. It will appeal to gamers only (or mostly) like all dedicated game consoles before it. Most "normal" mass-market consumers will not spend hundreds of dollars on yet another box sitting under their TV set - even if it can also be used for TV, Skype etc.

I think the AppleTV is much more interesting for the mass market but Apple didn't care a lot about the product until now. It's a shame. AppleTV has lots of potential.

Apple should just provide an SDK for AppleTV for casual games (and of course other iOS apps) and enable controller support - and also keep the price at $99. Gaming would just be one use case.

At $99, AppleTV appeals to the mass market and casual gamers - it could even stream core games in the future from servers (like Sony soon does with their Gaikai service).

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009

Unfortunately for Tim, xbox one beat them to the punch. All Apple can do is get a couple network deals and lay their UI on the TV experience. If they are allowed to BE the cable provider, it will be an improvement over the xbox and will be amazing, but we know that is not happening.
They only "beat them to the punch" if you know what Apple has planned for the TV. Do you?

I seriously hope we are not forced to buy a new TV either.
When has Apple ever forced you to buy a single product? :rolleyes:

Like any other company, they'll put out a product and you can decide whether it's worth buying at their price.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
My oh my...

Personally, I'm starting to think the iTV rumors (which even Apple keeps stoking) are a ploy to keep Apple's share price "up".
At least I think so until someone shows me the system.

RGDS,

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
When has Apple ever forced you to buy a single product? :rolleyes:

Like any other company, they'll put out a product and you can decide whether it's worth buying at their price.

Uhhhh.. I guess for some people it pays to type more so they can understand.

Ok, "force you to buy a new TV" instead of offering it as a cheap add on to an existing TV (like current AppleTV).

Make sense? :rolleyes:

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Xbox did beat Apple in showing the world how voice control can be used on a TV. It will not be magical anymore...
lolwut? So saying "Xbox, on" and then waiting through several loading screens and that big stupid Xbox logo and then undoubtedly using a remote to switch through your channels is more "magical" than just using a remote to turn things on in the first place?

No. The Xbox One is just a device that will turn your HDTV into a bad smartTV, with all the gimicky voice and motion controls that provide no extra benefit to the consumer whatsoever.

----------

Guys, don't you see it? There is a grand vision. Apple 4K TV set for only $999 :D
I just bought my first HDTV three weeks ago. A Vizio 37" flatscreen for $85 at a thrift shop.

I absolutely refuse to waste a thousand dollars on a 4k set, even if it comes from Apple.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I'm hoping for a set-top-box which you can add to your existing TV but also having a big TV with built in 'Apple TV' would be great for those after an all-in-one solution and are willing to pay the higher price that comes with that.

An updated Apple TV for $199-$299 would be ideal.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
My oh my...

Personally, I'm starting to think the iTV rumors (which even Apple keeps stoking) are a ploy to keep Apple's share price "up".
At least I think so until someone shows me the system.

RGDS,

Apple is NOT hyping iTV, because iTV is a network in the United Kingdom! Journalists are the idiots who still can't get that straight

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Technologically, Xbox1 is interesting. But it's too expensive. It will appeal to gamers only (or mostly) like all dedicated game consoles before it. Most "normal" mass-market consumers will not spend hundreds of dollars on yet another box sitting under their TV set - even if it can also be used for TV, Skype etc.

"Gamers" are typically in their 30's, over half the households in the US own at least one current gen console (PS3, 360 or Wii) and video game consoles are the most used way to stream content to TVs.

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010

unfortunately for Microsoft, the fact that I need to keep paying for xbox live in order to take advantage of those features means I won't be getting xBox one.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Uhhhh.. I guess for some people it pays to type more so they can understand.

Ok, "force you to buy a new TV" instead of offering it as a cheap add on to an existing TV (like current AppleTV).

Make sense? :rolleyes:

You're making an assumption that whatever new plans Apple has for their TV, it won't involve the actual TV hardware itself. That's kind of a big assumption isn't it?

And if you don't want the TV set, don't buy it. If their plans are software only, the current AppleTV will still exist and will still work.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Well at least Cook is using new words to hype products.

"Grand Vision" is a refreshing change from "Magical & Revolutionary"
...although he did use "Magical" at several other places in the interview. You'll probably have to wait for an actual product announcement to hear "Revolutionary", probably in a few weeks at WWDC when the latest OS X and iOS are announced.

----------

Guys, don't you see it? There is a grand vision. Apple 4K TV set for only $999 :D
Now that's something I would readily drop $1K on today. I don't imagine we will see that sort of price on 4K tech for at least 2 more years, though.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
...although he did use "Magical" at several other places in the interview. You'll probably have to wait for an actual product announcement to hear "Revolutionary", probably in a few weeks at WWDC when the latest OS X and iOS are announced.

----------

Now that's something I would readily drop $1K on today. I don't imagine we will see that sort of price on 4K tech for at least 2 more years, though.

There's 4k TV's out right now for around $1200

Just no content

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I'm pretty sure the Xbox One is one of the most publicly hated announcements in Microsoft's history...

Nonsense - blame Twitter and Facebook for the "hate" (they weren't around when the last batch of consoles were released).

Anything anyone releases is ridiculed on Twitter straight away, then after a few months people balance out and see more clearly.

The Xbox One is excellent, we'll see more of it soon, plus the PS4 soon.

Within 6 months everyone will be buying one or the other (Nintendo's Wii U is just the Dreamcast II).

ASGR

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2013
I've said it before... but they could use a similar iTunes strategy. Why don't we take it even further and 'literally' make a Apple TV !!! With all the screen and stuff. They have all the technology and manufacturing facilities in place already.

Sounds like re-invening the wheel but it could be made into the central hub of your home with the Apple touch .i.e integration with hardware and services, internet, wifi, backup, storage, like a home server.

Ooo! talking to your TV or hand gestures, Cooooooooooooool.

Just trowing it into the ring.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
You'll be back here saying how amazing iTV is because you change channels without a remote. Xbox is doing what siri was supposed to do. It has a TV guide and can jump channels with voice commands. What else would be the selling point of iTV?

lolwut? So saying "Xbox, on" and then waiting through several loading screens and that big stupid Xbox logo and then undoubtedly using a remote to switch through your channels is more "magical" than just using a remote to turn things on in the first place?

No. The Xbox One is just a device that will turn your HDTV into a bad smartTV, with all the gimicky voice and motion controls that provide no extra benefit to the consumer whatsoever.

drewface

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
Everything MS does is hated these days. They'll announce something new, people will proclaim it as crap on messageboards, and you'll see tons of 10 page writeups as to why MS is no longer relevant on various tech blogs.

Then word of mouth kicks in, and things start moving. It sells slowly at first, then picks up momentum, and after all is said and done, they've sold millions of the thing.

It's the way the tech world works. MS is the company who can do no right. Apple...well...they used to be the company who could do no wrong, but recently people have been beating on them almost as much as MS. Now Google is the new golden child. Pretty soon, MS'll do something neat enough to really get everyone's attention, and will be the heralded as the scrappy billion dollar underdog.

That's a great way to try and justify an anti-consumer product. If anything word of mouth will kill this thing, just like it is doing for Windows 8. The used games debacle will get picked up in mainstream media once it is released.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I can't remember the last time I turned my cable box on. Right now Hulu and Netflix is all I need.

CodexMonkey

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2012
Live TV aside, the day an AppleTV handles my downloaded Movies and TV Shows from my Mac even half as good as Plex does (recognises movies without me renaming the file, finds the genre, the poster (offers you a few to choose from too), director, stars etc., allows you to filter by director, star etc., has better info on the screen when you pause such as 'end time' without having to do the maths), then I’m happy. Plus, on a fast connection I can watch my movies from anywhere in the world on my iPad (I have) using MyPlex and even let my friends see and watch whatever I choose to share from my library. I have three friends who regularly watch from my hard drive from their own homes. That’s what I think an AppleTV needs before they even start adding other stuff.

Plex also has BBC iPlayer on the Mac (they need it on the TV App, though!), so if they just sorted that and added a couple more 'Catchup' services then I’m all set. All the TVs in my house are now Samsung Smart TVs (who do make some good products, before you all start) and any future ones will be either Samsung or LG as they have the Plex app. For me, it just eliminates the the need for a separate box (ie. an AppleTV), cable/plug and/or wired connection if you don’t want to rely on wifi (I just use a Powerline system straight into the back of the TVs).

Or, Apple could just buy Plex.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

xbone really didn't crack anything, they are just overlaying their own content over your cable/sat service feed. The only thing they have is voice commands People that watch their xbone broadcast on their xbox360 had it stop every time someone said "xbox".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.