Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
The way I read the statement was that nothing new was promised in 2013 or 2014. 9to5Mac seems to have heard it the same way.

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

During today's fourth quarter earnings call, Tim Cook confirmed that Apple still plans on introducing new product categories within 2014. According to Cook, Apple believes that it can use its skills building software, hardware, and services to create "great products" in categories that Apple does not participate in today.

"We're pretty confident about that," said Cook.

Apple has been rumored to be working on a number of innovative products, including a smart watch dubbed the iWatch, which will compete with offerings from several other companies like Nike, Jawbone, and Samsung, along with a potential Apple television set.

Apple's iWatch has been rumored to be released in 2014, while a release date on a television set has been more nebulous. The company is also possibly working on other offerings within the television sector, including a potential set-top box that replaces traditional cable boxes.

Article Link: Tim Cook: New Product Categories Still Coming in 2014

Let's have some enterprise hardware, such as a server-class product! Maybe 1U systems are a thing of the past and it will take Apple to dream up a replacement for the corporate server. It looks, though, as though their server software (OS X Server for file and application servers and FileMaker Server for database management system servers) is going strong and getting better by the day. So all it takes now is a hardware system to run the stuff on. The new Mac Pro looks to be overkill for a server, since it is positioned much more as a professional workstation than something for the server room.

XServe was discontinued in 2011, and the AppleCare warranty for XServe will expire next year in 2014, so it would be the perfect time to introduce new hardware. Let's see it happen, Apple! Do it like only you can!! :)

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
Can you imagine the future? Apple and Samsung suing each other over fridge, washer and TV patents. :rolleyes:

Apple everything!

This is the only way they'll increase their revenue. They have tapped out the smartphone market as well as tablet/computer.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I need Apple to invent something that I didn't know I needed but will not be able to live without. I can't imagine what it could be but I hope they come up with it soon.

I think the watch/wearable will be that. I think it's going to have a bigger effect on individuals, especially their health then they realize. A device that can track a bunch of health related things is a great thing, especially for the individuals health and doctor.

I also think it's going to have features that work with things like your home, car, etc.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Apple has a history of unveiling new product categories in the first quarter of the calendar year. Hope the iWatch comes 1Q 2014. :)

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
I still think that going into the television market would be a big mistake for Apple. If the rumours are even close, we'd be looking at set's of 55"+ and although I'm sure they'd look great 4K is ant anywhere near mainstream yet, and so many top end TV companies who have been in the business for a very long time are selling top quality nice looking set's at prices Apple could not match.

I hope I'm wrong, but I hope they steer clear of that section of the market.

I trust Apple to know what to do, but I am sure Tim looks to forum posters to be sure.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
The way I read the statement was that nothing new was promised in 2013 or 2014. 9to5Mac seems to have heard it the same way.

Lets not let the small details get in the way of click bait articles. :roll eyes:

Indeed, Cook made no mention of "2014" that I heard. He simply said that he was confident that they would deliver on new products going forward.

With all of that said, I'm looking at the product release schedule and see a big hole in Spring since they moved iPads to the Fall. Coincidental? We'll see...

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
Don't know how apple will contribute to the tv market. bang and olufsen,Loewe,Samsung,LG to name a few all make quality tv for decent prices. Apple selling a TV with lesser spec compared to the competition is something I think many smart people won't condone fanboys, people looking to say I have it and those with enough disposable money might buy the Apple TV.

Anyone with knowledge of the higher brand tv makers won't look or take apple seriously IMO. They are counting on their iPhone base to break there back and purchase a tv, the price for and iPhone, yes expensive will be totally different to the extortionate prices apple will demand for there tv.

In know way is this hating as I have plenty apple products. Time will tell though.

leepalisoc

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
This is what I'm waiting for! New product categories! It's been a while since the latest category (that I think) was the iPad. Ha!

Last edited:

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
... to an iHouse.

Seriously, imagine if the hardware, software, and service were applied to apartment life or a house and all the things we have there. It would be the ultimate in integration, something out of... well, ... those utopian futures that turn out to be slightly dystopian, but still.

I think you're talking about Nest.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
I still think that going into the television market would be a big mistake for Apple. If the rumours are even close, we'd be looking at set's of 55"+ and although I'm sure they'd look great 4K is ant anywhere near mainstream yet, and so many top end TV companies who have been in the business for a very long time are selling top quality nice looking set's at prices Apple could not match.

I hope I'm wrong, but I hope they steer clear of that section of the market.

Entering tablet market will be a huge mistake for Apple. It will be just a bigger iPhone and no one will buy it. Besides, so many top end PC companies are already competing in tablet business.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
FINALLY.

ninja.jpg

All these years of waiting, and Apple will finally deliver next year!! Can't wait to get my hands on one!! :apple:

(How bad's death grip going to be on this?)

[Scoopertino]

MartyF81

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Chicago IL
Am I the only one who thinks Apple isn't doing an actual TV? I mean how would the retail sell 50" TV's in an Apple store? Do they have that kind of storage to hold a couple hundred 50" + TVs in the back? Plus carts to get them out to peoples vehicles. Sounds impractical. I suspect high powered Apple TVs like today with Media Services to stream TV instead of cable.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
I wonder if they wait until WWDC to show something (completely) new or that they unveil a smart watch in March or April. Even though Apple can still grow with it's current lineup, I think investors are gonna loose patience. I also think it's a good wakeup for everybody to introduce something early in the year and get people (re-)attached to Apple and all it's other offerings.

I place my bet on April 1 (4 years after the iPad) for something new to come around.

The teaser should read like "We're not joking around". Using it for a April's fools party, but also referring to current Samsung and other manufacturers' smart watches (that receive horrible reviews for the biggest part).

I disagree. Releasing major products right before the holiday season looks like a winning strategy. Investors and analysts bug out because they want frequent and regular fodder to slice and dice, but just look at those charts showing quarterly revenue. The holiday sales are just nuts; Apple would be fools not to feed those flames.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
and what does he have to say about the actual products which were not fixed whereas their previous issues are known by all for 2 or 3 years (macbook pro screens...)

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
Don't know how apple will contribute to the tv market. bang and olufsen,Loewe,Samsung,LG to name a few all make quality tv for decent prices. Apple selling a TV with lesser spec compared to the competition is something I think many smart people won't condone fanboys, people looking to say I have it and those with enough disposable money might buy the Apple TV.

Anyone with knowledge of the higher brand tv makers won't look or take apple seriously IMO. They are counting on their iPhone base to break there back and purchase a tv, the price for and iPhone, yes expensive will be totally different to the extortionate prices apple will demand for there tv.

In know way is this hating as I have plenty apple products. Time will tell though.

The TV would target consumers specifically looking for a new/replacement TV. These consumers don't have to be past Apple buyers at all. No need for "fanboys" at all (which by the way account for a very small percentage of Apple's total sales).

People have mentioned that TV margins are razor thin so Apple won't want to enter the market. However, this situation is analogous to the cell phone/smartphone market pre-iPhone. Apple created their margin (that they still enjoy today) by offering a truly different hardware/software product that people were willing to buy at higher prices. They could do the exact same thing with a TV (innovative user interface, ability to purchase individual channels, integrated cable boxes, etc). Specs aren't just things like 4k, 240hz, contrast ratios, etc. They include the whole package. If the specs of Apple TVs warrant the price increase over the low profit TVs on the market then consumers will buy them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.