Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drorpheus

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2010
This is why if we limit the government from being able to "regulate" meddle in the specific commerce and not the general commerce as originally stated in the constitution, the markets would be more free and benefit individuals the most.

More free like they were from 2001-2008 when the US financial system took its worst **** since the great depression? Republican greed leads to a welfare state country plain and simple, for all you that stroked out over the last 7-8 years and woke up in the last 6-8 months you'd have to be a vegetable to not realize that. Greece isn't worth a **** right now because the upperclass got away with next to no taxation, paying tax at $12,000-$20,000 a year while they make a million plus a year, now they no longer own their own infrastructure, (airports and road/railways) and if they don't get their **** together they'll soon no longer be part of the EU.

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2008
Price of an iPhone

#occupyinfiniteloop

Why don't they want to pay "their fair share"?

----------

I recall reading an aritcle in one of the trades that if the iPhone were made in the US it would cost around $2500. With the insane costs of manufacturing in the US, the flip side to this "living wage" argument is that the goods and services we all buy and use would be far more expensive and thus our standard of living would go down even further. I know if iPhones cost $2500 I wouldn't have one.

While I am not rady to accept the number of $2500 if the iPhone were made in the USA, I ask you to consider an alternative. It would cost $2500 (hypothetically) only if Apple chose to price it at that. Apple could price it lower and take a smaller profit, and still remain profitable. That would benefit American workers and the economy as a whole. Yet, being a greedy corporation, Apple makes decisions based on nothing else but the bottom line profit.

WAIT, I hear everyone yelling that it is their duty to the shareholders to make a profit. SURE, but how high a profit? Seems to me that businesses follow an artificial model, probably taught in business schools for 100 years, that they MUST get a certain return on their dollar. Well, perhaps doing some good for the US economy and helping to employ American workers is an element to be considered when making decisions on whether or not to seek maximum profits by taking American manufacturing jobs overseas. Maybe the business school model ought to be tweaked in economic times like this.

As one of the "dunce" Republican candidates said . . . "corporations are people too." Well, then they should consider their American citizenship and endeavor to act responsibly, trashier than greedily.

Suppose Apple made a few billion less in profits, but kept the manufacturing in the USA! They would still be extremely profitable and highly valued by shareholders. GREED! Squeeze as much of the mighty dollar you can for yourself, and damn the rest.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
So you would rather they not pay taxes on earnings?

The US is pretty unique in that it taxes US corporations on their foreign earnings. The majority of the world does not do that, so that is my many buy outs of US corps end up with an oversea owner. The US does that to citizens as well. The US has the most progressive tax system in the world and one of the most backward and anti-business one as well.

Welcome to reality, why would you bring money back here to be taxed? If anything unless we get some real change in Washington you can expect more companies to move off shore or allow themselves to be purchased by corporations in other countries.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Correction: The federal government taxes you on the difference between foreign tax and their tax. I wouldn't be surprised if it also goes the other way (where you get a deduction for paying over).

Here's a thought: The same applies to state laws. And many right wingers think that individual states can do no wrong so.. what gives? As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure California is charging Apple the difference on money made in other states outside of California! Oh my!

It would most certainly not cost $2500 to produce an iPhone in the US. Yes, the cost of setting up the infastructure (factories, machinery, and resource gathering) would be VERY expensive, but all things aside I doubt it'd matter that much.

I think it could definitely be done for $600 and net Apple a profit!

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I try not to see it in moralistic terms, the arguments for and against capitalism. If you view it from a game theory perspective, then of course everyone is going to try to game the system- that is to play by the rules, but try to maximize the rules to your advantage. That will be the case regardless of the economic or political system in place, and whether one is rich or poor (by gaming the system I do not mean breaking laws or lying, that is an issue of law enforcement.)

I think it takes pragmatism and immense foresight to maintain an economic system that can 'fairly' reward hard work and productivity, yet at the same time provide an opportunity for all to try to improve their economic position.

I don't think capitalism is necessarily great only for the rich. Our specific implementation of capitalism is not the only one. In our country, I think our version of capitalism has changed significantly since 1776, especially with the establishment of 'corporate personhood.' Of course, it could be argued that any system of capitalism will eventually tilt towards the rich and powerful, as they gain more political influence due to their economic strength- that's a more meta argument that I would consider plausible. But I don't know there is any system of government that can achieve perfection in perpetuity, and can eliminate human folly.

cause the markets are not "free".. FACT they are politically strategically manipulated by many people in order to make the rich richer outside of the natural expected ebb and flow of a free system..

Thats what many citizens fail to realize when they are being sold the "capitalism is great" religion.. capitalism is great for the rich and very destructive to all others..

capitalism has a life cycle and as it reaches the end or critical mass it causes what we are seeing now in these and the world economy..

----------

exactly cause your tax money payed is funneled into the pockets of big corporations through corrupt govt members and tactics.. can you say "bail outs"???????

----------

exactly.. the corrupt politicians create loops holes for their business buddies to slip through..

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
the consumers were taught sometimes forced to use credit cause of inflated prices for things... only 10% of the population can but cars and houses etc with ought credit

If you can't afford a car, don't buy a car. If you can't afford a house, don't buy a house. If you don't afford something, credit won't make it more affordable. That said, the american credit system is built on (over)use of credits, which is large part of the problem of course.

Still, Americans (among others) need to realize that if money in < money out you're essentially ****ed. Sure, you can delay it, but that will only make the dick larger when it hits.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
The US is pretty unique in that it taxes US corporations on their foreign earnings. The majority of the world does not do that, so that is my many buy outs of US corps end up with an oversea owner.

Not true. Many nations tax their domestic corporations' foreign profits if the tax rate in the territory earned does not meet a certain %.

The US does that to citizens as well. The US has the most progressive tax system in the world and one of the most backward and anti-business one as well.

It also has one of the ones with the most loopholes, meaning it is not nearly as progressive as some would like to advertise it. For instance, the top 35% rate is rarely invoked as the wealthy are often subject to a 15% tax on capital gains. For instance, Steve Jobs only had an income of $1/year. The rest of his income was essentially capital gains.

This article brings a sensible approach I think:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/opinion/bring-american-companies-foreign-profits-back-home.html

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Exactly. 35% corporate tax rate is the highest in the world. Lower that and see jobs coming back (jobs as in work not jobs as in Steve)

Sounds good to me. Tax the tents of those occupy losers. When they can't pay, put them in debtors prison!

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Sounds good to me. Tax the tents of those occupy losers. When they can't pay, put them in debtors prison!

So, to recap.
Even at 35% before deductions, a billion dollar corporation is still taxed less than the average middle class household.

And you still think that's not fair to a corporation.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
So, to recap.
Even at 35% before deductions, a billion dollar corporation is still taxed less than the average middle class household.

The average middle class household makes the mistake of accepting the lifestyle of their parents and repeating it.

Fortune favors the brave and not the safe. We live in a society where the risk takers and pirates are celebrated and the cowards following precedence are punished. I'm for one to keep it that way.

Quit being a victim and stop being so middle class in mindset. Then you make make a difference instead of just being a sheep herder. Put all those Occupy types on the White House lawn and Capital Mall, then we will see these safe bastards taking bailouts taken out.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
The average middle class household makes the mistake of accepting the lifestyle of their parents and repeating it.

Fortune favors the brave and not the safe. We live in a society where the risk takers and pirates are celebrated and the cowards following precedence are punished. I'm for one to keep it that way.

Quit being a victim and stop being so middle class in mindset. Then you make make a difference instead of just being a sheep herder. Put all those Occupy types on the White House lawn and Capital Mall, then we will see these safe bastards taking bailouts taken out.

Where did get out of what I said, that i was a victim, or had a middlecass mindest.

I asked a simple question.

And I do very very well, thank you.

You however sound like someone who either still lives at home, or was born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
Grow up Apple and other corps. You know this is the deal, this is how the local economy runs. As an American company, this is money the people of America need to help improve the likes of education, medicine, roads, creating jobs etc.

... ps im not american but greed like this pisses me off.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Apple and other American corpration CEO's are like the captain of the Titanic, and the economy and the wellbeing of the country are the ship.
Hellbent on steaming ahead fullsteam, ignorng the danger. Because getting there first is more important than being safe.

Didnt wrk out so well for the Titanc.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
So, to recap.

Those big corporations contribute more to the economy than an average middle class family. These corporations also have the same legal rights as an individual so they should get to vote more.

In fact, every person should get one vote per $10,000 they file on their income tax. If you are on welfare and on public housing, you don't vote. That will get the riff-raff out of society influence.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Those big corporations contribute more to the economy than an average middle class family. These corporations also have the same legal rights as an individual so they should get to vote more.

In fact, every person should get one vote per $10,000 they file on their income tax. If you are on welfare and on public housing, you don't vote. That will get the riff-raff out of society influence.

It's a complete joke suggesting that the largest companies are the ones that drive the economy or innovation. Apple is a bit of an enigma in this regard, but even they have always been about refining concepts rather than inventing them. For example, large software companies do a lot of their product advancement by licensing new code and buying out smaller companies only to shut doors and lay off staff. It eventually leads to the kind of stagnation we have today, and the concept of treating them as individuals always seems to end when it comes to taxing them at a similar rate. Have you considered that many large corporations file beneath that amount by pushing money offshore?

Small businesses have done far more for the economy than corporations will ever do. Many more of them employ within the US and spend money here. Fewer small businesses shove money into offshore subsidiaries to avoid taxation. Perhaps rather than just listening to politicians and media pundits you could do your own research. If you look at blue chip corporations right now, they're turning solid profits. The lag in the stock market has to do with with nervous buyers rather than a lack of performance from these companies.

Last edited:

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
It's a complete joke suggesting that the largest companies are the ones that drive the economy or innovation. Apple is a bit of an enigma in this regard, but even they have always been about refining concepts rather than inventing them.

You have never been there.

----------

Where did get out of what I said, that i was a victim, or had a middlecass mindest.

I asked a simple question.

And I do very very well, thank you.

You however sound like someone who either still lives at home, or was born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

Welcome to the club. Good to be 1%

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
You have never been there.

----------

Welcome to the club. Good to be 1%

If you wish to discuss any of your points, at least write more than a single line, condescending, dismissive response. If you are as educated as you'd like to suggest, you must have better communications skills than that.

NitroZip

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2010
It's amazing that the same people here that complain about big corporations not paying their fair share, give Apple a pass. That kool-aid is so good.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Grow up Apple and other corps. You know this is the deal, this is how the local economy runs. As an American company, this is money the people of America need to help improve the likes of education, medicine, roads, creating jobs etc.

... ps im not american but greed like this pisses me off.

Most of the cash is in long-term securities, i.e. government bonds. So the government is spending and wasting it, just like you wanted.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
If you wish to discuss any of your points, at least write more than a single line, condescending, dismissive response. If you are as educated as you'd like to suggest, you must have better communications skills than that.

I saw the fallacy of higher education after working my butt off on "facts" and I was paying them. Told off faculty to get a real job, moved on and it was the best move of my life. From that, living on the road, mentoring with successful people instead of those that made tenure, making real product and avoiding the cubical and the 401K's worked out just fine.

Just remember that your path to success is not unique and those custom jacked up 4x4's with ball sacks from the tail hitch cost more that a Mercedes or Porsche. They may even own a racing team, be better armed than the local patrol officers (legally) and have a few million in their portfolio. However, they don't give a crap about who's playing at the Met this month.

Cheers!

Last edited:

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
I saw the fallacy of higher education after working my butt off on "facts" and I was paying them. Told off faculty to get a real job, moved on and it was the best move of my life. From that, living on the road, mentoring with successful people instead of those that made tenure, making real product and avoiding the cubical and the 401K's worked out just fine.

Just remember that your path to success is not unique and those custom jacked up 4x4's with ball sacks from the tail hitch cost more that a Mercedes or Porsche. They may even own a racing team, be better armed than the local patrol officers (legally) and have a few million in their portfolio. However, they don't give a crap about who's playing at the Met this month.

Cheers!

Whatever the hell any of that means.:confused:

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Whatever the hell any of that means.:confused:
1. Higher education is only for suckers
2. Emotional outbursts are healthy and fun
3. Tax deferred retirement planning is stupid
4. Cultural pursuits are a complete waste of time
5. Success is defined by spending supercar money for a pickup truck on stilts that's packed to the gills with assault weaponry and has a plastic scrotum attached to the rear end.

There's also a vague between-the-lines story about cooking up crystal meth in an old RV somewhere in there, but it's probably best if we don't dig too deep on this one. :D

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
1. Higher education is only for suckers
2. Emotional outbursts are healthy and fun
3. Tax deferred retirement planning is stupid
4. Cultural pursuits are a complete waste of time
5. Success is defined by spending supercar money for a pickup truck on stilts that's packed to the gills with assault weaponry and has a plastic scrotum attached to the rear end.

There's also a vague between-the-lines story about cooking up crystal meth in an old RV somewhere in there, but it's probably best if we don't dig too deep on this one. :D

Hahahahaha.

Thanks for the translation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.