Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not suggesting the AirPods are not going to sell extremely well, more trying to explain to another poster that there are indeed great sounding BT headphones on the market today. I'll get a pair of AirPods for myself and my wife for work and casual use for sure.
so four in total?

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I'm not suggesting the AirPods are not going to sell extremely well, more trying to explain to another poster that there are indeed great sounding BT headphones on the market today. I'll get a pair of AirPods for myself and my wife for work and casual use for sure.
For me its not about the selling of these (I'm sure Apple will make $$$ on them) but more the convenience and portability. That dental floss like case is great... stick in your pocket and you have earphones everywhere you go.

Antgb84

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
About time they ship overpriced dental floss, look, people aren't going to wait around for the "magic" to come around for months.

Frustrates me to no end a company can you screw up putting out pair of earphones.

Apple really lost it there.

Reactions: hufflematt

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
For me its not about the selling of these (I'm sure Apple will make $$$ on them) but more the convenience and portability. That dental floss like case is great... stick in your pocket and you have earphones everywhere you go.

The portable charging case is my second favorite feature, where I can carry them anywhere and charge when need be. It's not the fact Apple is providing the carrying case, it also serves for charging. 15 minutes of charge equals three hours of usage.

Reactions: clunkmess

clunkmess

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
California
The portable charging case is my second favorite feature, where I can carry them anywhere and charge when need be. It's not the fact Apple is providing the carrying case, it also serves for charging. 15 minutes of charge equals three hours of usage.
My worry is that the beam-forming microphone won't be able to understand me as well as the cable microphone i use on the EarBuds.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
so four in total?

Ha. Replace the word AirPods with socks - same issue in describing an item that is known as a "pair of...", that comes in twos, but can only be purchased in pairs. Although it's more complicated when you say you're going to buy a pair of pants or skivvies, since you're not generally getting two of either (although pants do come with a pair of pant legs).
[doublepost=1480632528][/doublepost]

I've got a headset that comes with a charging / protection case that works fine for keeping the headset safe in my briefcase, but can't fit it in my pocket. I think that the way I'll use the AirPods for daily work use, is to use one at a time, as I do now with my current Edge headset (since it's just for talking), keeping the other AirPod in the charger, so I can swap them during the day as the one charge gets used up. I may be surprised in wanting to use them in stereo, but I like to have one ear free just to hear what's going on around me - at least when I'm on the phone. If they sound ok, I will likely use them more for music listening and it will be interesting to see if they work for running with them in.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
I just hope there isn't a problem with the Li-ion batteries you are about to stick in your ears.
you do understand many of the bluetooth earbud manufacturers are putting the batteries in the ear piece. All Jaybirds for instance.

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
you do understand many of the bluetooth earbud manufacturers are putting the batteries in the ear piece. All Jaybirds for instance.
Yes, I would feel safer with the Airpods because the battery is probably in the stem outside the ear.

Although, I've never had an issue with other BT earpieces.

With current battery concerns, my preference is to be cautious with the only ears that I have.

s1m

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008
You're not in the condition to initiate a direct conversation with your superiors. You are paid by them and trade your services for the greenbacks. In this case, the customer pays Cook's company.
If your superiors (at CEO/CFO/CIO level) initiate the discussion it's not going to be a "Dear friend Relentless Power, can you please do X Y and Z, we appreciate you? HAve a wonderful day". It's going to be: "RP - We need X Y and Z by EOD." And your reply will be: "Superior - X and Y have been completed. Z is waiting on vendor PO 13831. RP."

Wow - I would hate to work for the corporation that you work for. I regularly email the CEO and he emails me. The emails are not full of flowery platitudes but rarely do I get "S - do XYZ". Similarly when I am advising him I have to give some rationale to the advice.

Also unless you are going to fail to deliver XYZ I wouldn't be emailing the CEO to update him on the progress unless specifically asked.

Reactions: 44267547

Silver78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
Denmark

AirPods-duo-250x139.jpg
Many customers are anxiously anticipating the release of Apple's wireless AirPods, originally slated to launch in October but later delayed. Fortunately, the wait may soon be over.

MacRumors has been forwarded an email in which Apple CEO Tim Cook, responding to a customer, allegedly said he anticipates AirPods to begin shipping "over the next few weeks."MacRumors has verified the email's full headers appear to originate from Apple's corporate servers, while Apple executives are known to respond to customers on occasion, but as a boilerplate disclaimer, it should be noted these emails can of course be faked. Apple did not immediately respond to request for comment.

Apple has so far only said it needed "a little more time" before AirPods are ready for customers, while conflicting rumors have pointed towards release dates between December and January, offering little clarity. AirPods remain listed as both "coming soon" and "currently unavailable" on different sections of Apple's website.

Article Link: Tim Cook Says He Expects AirPods to Ship Over 'Next Few Weeks' in Email to Customer
[doublepost=1480658531][/doublepost]They will bring back the headphone jack with Slurm Classic.

First airplane trip with iphone7 .... charging the iphone made it my longest ride ever... ohhh and I lost my adaptor:-/

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My worry is that the beam-forming microphone won't be able to understand me as well as the cable microphone i use on the EarBuds.

I think the beam-forming microphone won't be a major issue in general, but in a noisy environment, perhaps. But good question.

Reactions: clunkmess

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don't care how good the tech is in these things.

The Airpods are laughably ugly. I WILL laugh at people wearing them.

Out loud.

The issue with your statement is sophomoric and very glib.

The Airpods meet functionality over form. Customers who purchase these are not concerned with some grade school comment about what someone else might think when wearing them. Who cares.

I would like to think we are adults who can respect someone else for their preferences when it comes to wearing a set of Airpods, let alone choices. But it's clear we live in a world where someone has to make it known they will haze and bully someone else because of a pair of Airpods. Pathetic.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

The Airpods meet functionality over form. Customers who purchase these are not concerned with some grade school comment about what someone else might think when wearing them. Who cares.

I would like to think we are adults who can respect someone else for their preferences when it comes to wearing a set of Airpods, let alone choices. But it's clear we live in a world where someone has to make it known they will haze and bully someone else because of a pair of Airpods. Pathetic.
Anybody who laughs st somebody else for using something that they find useful is clearly a child or a very immature adult

Reactions: Abazigal

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
I wish Sony would tell us the intelligence behind removing the built in VCR from
Their TV's. Oh wait, there isn't any.
It's actually more like Sony removing their Audio Out. Which they haven't done. Your comparison was terrible.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010

I can respect everyone's preferences, just like they should respect that I find them literally laughable and prefer to laugh at them. Welcome to freedom of expression buddy.

And so, I WILL laugh.

Oh, and I guess I won't be the only one:

https://www.cnet.com/products/apple-airpods/preview/

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Anybody who laughs st somebody else for using something that they find useful is clearly a child or a very immature adult

Trollers gonna be trollers. The funny thing about his juvenile comment is when you look at any other headset, they make everyone look silly in a sense, it's just that we have gotten used to folks wearing "cans" on their heads that make them look like air traffic controllers and we also accept that function is more important than form. Same with earbuds, when you think about it there's nothing that looks especially great about having some long white cords dangling from your ears, but Apple made that look acceptable and "cool" in its ads.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I can respect everyone's preferences, just like they should respect that I find them literally laughable and prefer to laugh at them. Welcome to freedom of expression buddy.

And so, I WILL laugh.

Oh, and I guess I won't be the only one:

https://www.cnet.com/products/apple-airpods/preview/

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

I'm not your "Buddy." And clearly other forum members don't share your views and biases. Posting a CNet article proves nothing. However, you have proven the toxic behavior exhibited through your inflammatory comments is juvenile. Moving on.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I think the beam-forming microphone won't be a major issue in general, but in a noisy environment, perhaps. But good question.
Well, the whole point of beam forming (along with the voice training algorithms Apple have only slightly implemented at this point) is noisy environments.

I'm excited for the new class of solid state microphones that are hitting the markets soon, allowing for completely dust/waterproof microphones that when paired in an array will allow services like Google, Siri/whatever to only pick up on your voice in a room full of others.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well, the whole point of beam forming (along with the voice training algorithms Apple have only slightly implemented at this point) is noisy environments.

I'm excited for the new class of solid state microphones that are hitting the markets soon, allowing for completely dust/waterproof microphones that when paired in an array will allow services like Google, Siri/whatever to only pick up on your voice in a room full of others.

I'm looking forward to testing the Airpods in general and hopefully they have some form of filter. Time will tell.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010

Sorry, but if you decide to wear one of those huge umbrella hats because you don't want to get sunburned, it would generate laughter from more than just children.

So, where's the line? Visual gags have been used in comedy, um, ALWAYS.

And that's what the AirPods are. Hilarious.

But, if a person's too emotionally weak to handle someone laughing at them, well, it's time to grow up or seek professional help.

Reactions: Sunny1990

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Sorry, but if you decide to wear one of those huge umbrella hats because you don't want to get sunburned, it would generate laughter from more than just children.

So, where's the line? Visual gags have been used in comedy, um, ALWAYS.

And that's what the AirPods are. Hilarious.

But, if a person's too emotionally weak to handle someone laughing at them, well, it's time to grow up or seek professional help.

You are seriously comparing an umbrella hat with a pair of earphones? Really?

People aren't going to look any worse than people who wear massive headphones around with them. If anything they look worse and more obvious than any air pods would

I would really care less if people did laugh at me with airpods on. Would simply mean their life is far more pathetic than mine ever would be.

People don't buy products like this and spend money on them to care what others think. Why would what complete strangers think in the street matter? Certainly when it comes to when they first get released more will be looking and wondering if those are the air pods more than people would think about laughing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.