Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
Hey all,

I'm finally going to be placing an order for a 15" powerbook in the next couple weeks, and I was looking at the bags from Timbuk2.

I had a couple of questions from people who own or have at least handled the bags. I'm trying to decide between a Commute bag and an El Ocho bag. The commute is made specifically for the notebook computers, but the messengar seems to have more capacity.

If I get the Commute, would I be able to carry school books around with my computer, or will it pretty much only fit my computer? If I get the messenger bag, will I have to buy a sleeve as well?

Anyway, any help or commentary would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

:D

Alia

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
I have a Timbuk2 Commute and I love it. Plenty of room for books and papers + notebook and accessories. Lots of pockets, too. Very well made, water-proof lining, plus the back is padded (which is very nice when you have a computer and a bunch of books bouncing against your hip).

If you live anywhere near an Apple store, they carry them, so you could check one out in person. I've only seen the blue/silver and all black in stock, though. I think there are more color choices on the Timbuk2 web site.

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
ge the commuter

its made for laptops

their messenger's are for messengers, not laptop travelers --- I have both types of bags, and switched to a commuter a year later and really happy that I did

make sure you get a big commuter bag though, if you're gonna hold a big laptop in it

alia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 2, 2003
Thanks for the comments guys. It's going to be for a 15" powerbook.

I'd go with something more professional, but I just got out of the corporate rat race to go back to school, so I'd rather go with something that will do what I need it to do for school.

It sounds like the Commute will be a good choice though. I haven't seen any at the Apple store in Tampa, although I might have been just too preoccupied with the hardware to notice. I'll check it out again before I make any orderng decisions.

Thanks again!

Alia

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
TimBuk2 makes the best messenger bags out there --- you're gonna love the commuter

however, you might wanna invest in a sleave, for extra padding

btw - nice photos, did you take them?

alia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 2, 2003
I did! Those are just a few of the amazingly many photographs I've taken. Eventually, I'll get a full gallery up at some point. I'm into cute naturey things as you may have guessed.

I'm particularly pleased with the frog shots though. I doubt I'll get an opportunity to photograph poison dart frogs again!

Alia

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.