Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dailydisco

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Based on the performance of AirDisk drives on an AEBS I doubt that you will see significant performance improvement over the NextStar NAS. The Time Capsule cpu is probably the same or similar to that in the AEBS, so don't expect too much performance-wise. Remember this is a low cost all-in-one solution for home use. What we really need is for Time Machine to work (and be supported) with standard NAS devices; that is where you will see some real performance improvements.

what are the specs for throughput with an AEBS USB drive combo (or TC-USB drive combo)? The NexStar NAS is very slow... it is 100Mbit ethernet, but it doesn't even come close to maxing that out. I'm closer to being sold on it, though I have to wonder if I might be better off waiting and buying a MacMini (at the next refresh) so I can use it (and the USB connetions) for both TC backup over the network as well as for use as a home theatre (using XBMC for OSX...http://www.osxbmc.com). Might make more sense I suppose... I won't have wireless n, but maybe that won't matter so much.

hmmm....

JonasLondon

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
London
I love the way people quote this as a good thing... I don't know about your servers, but in my experience they use the cheapest ********* hard drives around.

Sorry to say so, but your experience must be based on some ****** windows box then. The Apple XServe ships with specifically tuned/matched drives delivering outstanding reliability and performance. We run a 1x SAS, 2x 750 GB RAID-1 system. That baby has not had a single hickup for a year (that's when we initially installed it, been running perfect ever since). Ever.

Let's not go into the previous box on Win2003 though... :)

Time Capsule is a little bit more expensive then an AEBS plus attached MyBook, but oh so much neater. Might just have to do the switch too.... :apple:

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
Time Capsule isn't a router. It's just a base station with a hard drive...

It's great if you don't have a wireless router or you have a wireless router without 802.11n, but Time Capsule can only connect to a network, it can't dial up the Internet. IMHO, this is a bit of a shortcoming.
It's a router. I think you meant not a "modem".

kappa76

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
St. Louis
Time Capsule & iTunes?

Ok, so my new 1TB Time Capsule arrived today. I'm a Mac newbie so be gentle. I want to store all of my iTunes content on the TC but I'm an organization freak. I've updated iTunes to organize my content automatically on the new TC directory I created, but how can I change my side bar links in Finder to follow the new path?

Example: Music >>>Time Capsule Music Directory, Movies >>> Time Capsule Movies Directory & so on.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
One way is to create those folders on your TC, then drag the folders to the Shortcut area of your Finder.

I'm not sure how to make the icons look 100% same, but when you click on the new Music and Movie links in the Finder, it should take you straight to the new folders on your TC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.