Time Capsule question (orange flashing light)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gwhitta, Jul 2, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Nov 11, 2009
    I don't even know if this is really a problem since it doesn't seem to affect performance but it's still puzzling me. Since I bought my Time Capsule several months ago the light on the front often switches from green to flashing orange after a few days of operation. Doing a hard reboot of the Time Capsule fixes the problem but then again after a few days it will be flashing orange again. A flashing orange light is supposed to indicate some kind of problem but I'm not noticing any change in network performance or functionality at all. I just want to know why the light changes because it's getting a bit irritating. Any ideas?
  2. macrumors 68020

Oct 6, 2007
    Australia (WA)
    If you open the air port utility it should tell you the status of the unit and what that light is indicating
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Nov 11, 2009
    I did that and it turns out I needed a firmware update! Thanks :D
  4. macrumors newbie

Oct 14, 2010
    Blinking Amber Light = Time Capsule disk FULL

I had the same problem with the Blinking Amber/Orange Light. I opened the Airport utility as suggested in this thread. It turns out the Blinking Amber Light was a simple indication that the Time Capsule disk was almost full. I chose to ignore this indication and once the Airport utility had updated the settings of the Time Capsule the light turned green.