Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Guys, I'm trying to do a Time Machine backup to a drive I've used previously, but for some reason am getting the following meesage.

I can see the backup disk on my desktop so wondering what's gone wrong.

Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “MBP M2 Backup”
The backup disk could not be found.
Makesure the backup disk is connected or select a different backup disk.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
My time machine says insufficient free space on the backup disc? I can't seem to delete to free up space? Any ideas?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
My time machine says insufficient free space on the backup disc? I can't seem to delete to free up space? Any ideas?
You either have too small a backup disk, or large files with too many changes. Or both.

For disk size, 2X your data is minimum capacity. 3X or 4X is better.

If that’s not the issue, then look for any folders with large files & frequent changes, that aren’t important enough to back up and exclude them. Examples:
  • Scratch folder for video/audio editing
  • Downloads folder
  • VM images
Lots of other possibilities; those are just file types I’ve had to exclude on my own backups.

Once you identify and exclude those - you still have the problem with the disk space on your current backup drive. 2 choices: (1) erase the backup drive and start over (if your disk is ABSOLUTELY big enough at 3X-4X data size) or (2) buy a new backup disk (best if it’s only 2X data size).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.