Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rothnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Hello all,

I have a burning question that could really use some advice/references/resources before SHTF.

Time Machine (TM) changed a lot, to my pea brain, over the years and the last time I tried a ‘system restore’ I ended up restoring nothing from the TM and just reinstalling everything from scratch.

History-I remember, back in the Lion days say, I used to fairly regularly boot into Recovery, plug in my TM, and restore the entire system. But the last time I tried this (with Ventura I think) it no longer worked anything like what I was used to. I’m not even sure all the different things that happened but it was nothing like those Lion days.

What I, trying, to recall about it-I believe the system ‘restored’ the earliest version of Ventura (.0), so I updated to whatever the point was at the time, then I tried to restore from TM but it kept saying something about must use Migration Assistant. So I tried using MA from within the OS on the ‘-Data’ volume and it just kept refusing to restore/migrate any data.

I would like some references from you folks to simplify this process if at all possible for when I need to accomplish this task in the future. Specifically, is there a way to restore not only all user data but system level applications as well (e.g. python, Sonarr, Bazarr, etc.)?

Thank you much!!

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I'm spending all week installing 5 os on 3 MacBooks and Time Machine helped me instal Mojave on a ssd drive.
seems to me Migration Assistant is for installing files, software and other data beside the Operation System needs.

just to make sure I read the 3rd paragraph several times
are you attempting to restore a Mac to a newer version of Ventura, and what system are you running now?

I know time machine was easier with the OSX
and perhaps some old software or newer wont let Ventura reboot from TM.
could be a firmware thing too, if they have that anymore.
and we cant zap our pram is we did last century now.

anyways
there are others here who can also provide help soon.

Reactions: rothnd

rothnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Yep, it’s confusing for sure.

I just said Ventura as a placeholder. It was done earlier version of macOS but I don’t remember the specifics.

I agree in terms of what I thought Migration Assistant was about. Now rereading this, I don’t think I meant to say it ‘restored’ the .0 version. Actually, if I remember correctly, I think I did a manual erase first, tried TM then and it gave an error about data from a point update not compatible with the .0 OS. So then I updated it fully, tried TM again, and that’s when I was given the MA hint which never worked.

I’m just looking for directions that are hopefully more accurate/complete than Apple’s since the change from OS X to macOS cuz I haven’t been able to figure it out when I’ve needed it (thankfully I don’t need to right now knock on wood).

rothnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
I can only assume by the lack of responses that no one else is experiencing issues with TM?! I would expect at least some ‘me too’s here…

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
I can only assume by the lack of responses that no one else is experiencing issues with TM?! I would expect at least some ‘me too’s here…
Well, to be fair, it's not too often folks completely erase/reset or restore from Time Machine like this. I wouldn't confuse the lack of response as a nothing burger.

I was actually planning on erasing my 2020 M1 MBP and doing a Time Machine restore at some point after macOS 14.1 is released and when I have time. I'm still basically running off the original Big Sur release it came with and upgraded/updated over. Whenever I do I'll try and remember to post an update here as to how everything went.

rothnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Well, to be fair, it's not too often folks completely erase/reset or restore from Time Machine like this. I wouldn't confuse the lack of response as a nothing burger.

I was actually planning on erasing my 2020 M1 MBP and doing a Time Machine restore at some point after macOS 14.1 is released and when I have time. I'm still basically running off the original Big Sur release it came with and upgraded/updated over. Whenever I do I'll try and remember to post an update here as to how everything went.
Cool, I’d appreciate it very much!

Reactions: gank41

rothnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Just a little update. Had a little time & patience to play today (had, past tense). I took some notes along the way. I'm going to post over at Apple too but they are more prone to censoring me as of late so I'll also post here.

Again, this is to 'restore' a 2020 m1 MacBook Air (example) running macOS 14.1. I was setting up new drives today so I made one a tester for this TM stuff before putting it into use.

Notes:

Initialized and Setup new disk for TM (APFS, case sensitive, encrypted)

Ran initial (1) backup of MBA running macOS 14.1

Booted into Recovery Options

(DID NOT ERASE FIRST)

Selected Restore from Time Machine

3 alerts here:

"Restoring will erase the selected destination disk"
- thoughts: 'restoring will erase...' - that is the general idea/goal

"Use Migration Assistant to restore to a new computer"
- if this were a 'new computer' I might be more inclined to do so but since this is a backup of a very much existing computer, why can't it just restore?

"To restore individual files use Time Machine in the Finder"
- sure, if I wanted to restore 'individual files', trying to restore an entire system here.

Restore from… only allows source ".. HD - Data"; Selected it and got a message “You must use Migration Assistant to transfer data from this backup. Reinstall macOS if necessary and then use Migration Assistant to transfer data from your backup. With options to: install macOS or Choose Other Backup

rothnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Without actually having to go through with it I dunno but this is what I’ve received on the Apple forums.

Hope it answers questions, yours mine and ours.

Apple Discussion

Reactions: Idgit

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
Cool, I’d appreciate it very much!
Whelp, took the plunge and wiped my MBP and reinstalled macOS 14.1, and to be totally honest, I'm seeing no change after restoring from Time Machine. A part of me expected this, but I've been in a good place on my M1 machine since moving to 14.1, and plan on doing the same for my Mac mini at some point semi-soon.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.