Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e73kiel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Hi all.

I have a macbook 2011 mounted had 2 external harddrive to backup 8 other macbook with time machine.
The macbook has shutdown problem so i moved the external harddisks to mac mini but now the time machine on the 8 macbook unable to detect the harddrives. When i mount the harddrives to one of the macbooks there is no problem, so the problem is obviously on the mac mini. As i check the afp service see that its not working on mac mini. i started it over terminal but eventhough i am able to see the afp service working, still no succes on detecting harddrives over time machine. By the way i am able to see the remote disks mounted on mac mini on finder. Any suggestions.

Last edited:

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Did you by chance have the Server .app running on the MacBook when it was hosting TimeMachine?

I use a MacMini with external RAID-5 drives as a whole-house TimeMachine backup system, but I am running the $20 Server.app on the Mini which allows it to be identified as a TimeMachine host to the other network connected computers.

Reactions: e73kiel

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Any suggestions.

Add the time machine backup destination again in each of your machines telling it to
inherit the backup when it asks for that. You have changed the device it is backing up to so it cannot find the backup from the other machines. TM uses the GUID identity of the partition it is installed upon/backing up to and in the case of network backup the address of the MAC ID of the network card is used as well, change machine you change the MAC ID.

e73kiel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
@MacUser2525

When i mount the external harddisks to one of my macbooks the time machine that is running on the other macbooks can use that disks, i can see them on the select backup disk page so i dont think there is a problem MAC ID. When i run "tmutil destinationinfo" i am able to see the new ID and 1 minute later backup starts to make a controlled experiment i tried this on 2 different macbook and it was success. The only difference i can catch is check_afp process.
i can see that this process is running with "ps -aux |grep afp" but mac mini. i to ran it with
"/System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/check_afp.app/Contents/MacOS/check_afp"
but no success on detecting hard drives.
[doublepost=1478471395][/doublepost]
Did you by chance have the Server .app running on the MacBook when it was hosting TimeMachine?

I use a MacMini with external RAID-5 drives as a whole-house TimeMachine backup system, but I am running the $20 Server.app on the Mini which allows it to be identified as a TimeMachine host to the other network connected computers.
If i am unable to figure this out that may be the solution of my problem. Thank you.

Last edited:

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
@MacUser2525

When i mount the external harddisks to one of my macbooks the time machine that is running on the other macbooks can use that disks, i can see them on the select backup disk page so i dont think there is a problem MAC ID. When i run "tmutil destinationinfo" i am able to see the new ID and 1 minute later backup starts to make a controlled experiment i tried this on 2 different macbook and it was success. The only difference i can catch is check_afp process.
i can see that this process is running with "ps -aux |grep afp" but mac mini. i to ran it with
"/System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/check_afp.app/Contents/MacOS/check_afp"
but no success on detecting hard drives.

Alright then looks like the share needs to be mounted on the macbooks then you would need a script ran when you login on them to mount that share or do it manually in GUI and all should go as planned.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
So ... the necessary TimeMachine support routines are already present in the lower level code of OS X, and the Server .app simply provides a GUI interface for it???

I learn something new every day here ... have to look into this further. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.