Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Since the introduction of iOS 14, the "Time to Leave" notifications for upcoming calendar events have not been firing.

Googling reveals threads about this across the last several major iOS revisions, though no proposed fixes have helped.

Context:
- Calendar accessed via CalDAV outside iCloud which worked fine on iOS 13;
- Events have physical addresses saved to them;
- "Time to Leave" is the alert setting for the event;
- Notifications are allowed for Calendar;
- Calendar's location services are allowed;
- Issue has persisted across two devices (iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 14 upgrade, then iPhone 12 Pro out of the box, set up as new);
- General -> Reset -> Reset Location and Privacy has not helped.

I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
You also need to enable Location->System Services->Location Based Alerts.

I think they made this change in 14 or 13, can't remember.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
You also need to enable Location->System Services->Location Based Alerts.

I think they made this change in 14 or 13, can't remember.

Forgot to mention that this is also enabled.

Any other thoughts? So strange.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
Oh, then I don't know. Those settings are all I know that's needed to get that function working. Could be bugged. I've seen this not working before due to OS bugs.

When you enter the address, do you see the maps thumbnail created in the invite? If so, then I would think it's a bug and will get fixed eventually.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Oh, then I don't know. Those settings are all I know that's needed to get that function working. Could be bugged. I've seen this not working before due to OS bugs.

When you enter the address, do you see the maps thumbnail created in the invite? If so, then I would think it's a bug and will get fixed eventually.
I do see the map thumbnail, yes. That was my thought as well -- I guess there's always hope for 14.5 which should be very soon from the sounds of things, but 14.1-14.4 didn't change anything. Who knows.

Leschy

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2012
Bavaria (Germany)
same problem here. time to leave doesn't show up although it is activated by default. Another issue: iCloud Push Mail on iOS doesn't work.... hopefully expecting iOS 14.5.

Stoller520

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2021
Been having the same problem since last year, wasn’t sure if it was my iPhone 12 Pro or iOS 14. Had an ongoing case with apple for months and no resolution. Thought upgrading to iphone 13 Pro and iOS 15 would solve it, no dice. Has anyone found a fix to this?

Leschy

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2012
Bavaria (Germany)
unfortunately not. iPhone Pro 12 with iOS 15 changed nothing. This feature doesn't work for me. :( also I didn't find any solution. Even a restart doesn't solve the problem.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I'm unsure as to the technical aspects of how this feature works in the sense of data sources it queries to give accurate transit times, but has anyone else noticed that it has been working as expected in the last few days even without any other changes in how you enter events / device settings / which calendar platform you use / etc? Hopefully keeps working.

Lagitane

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2022
Same problem for a couple of years now. About 4 months ago, I spent 1.5 hours on the line with an Apple Care tech. She remote accessed my phone and verified that all settings were as they should be. Then, she asked me about VPN apps, of which I happened to have one installed - HMA. We uninstalled it, and there were one or two others that she thought might be causing the problem. Apparently any app that is designed to “hide” your location would affect the location services (which seems logical).
However, while these changes made it work a little better, it still does not function properly, across any of my devices, including my Mac Pro. The only time it will work on my iPhone is if I open my phone, slide over to the “Search” screen where my appt location is showing in the map widget, back to the Home Screen, and THEN I will get an “alert” telling me it’s time to leave…. But obviously I’m already late. It’s like I have to coax the alert out of it’s hidey hole….
So - I’m convinced that there are some other apps that are conflicting with the location settings, probably on a security/privacy level. I just have no idea what they are. And since it’s the same thing on my Mac - although I cannot even “coax” an alert on it, and it used to work just fine, - it’s got to be something that’s installed on both. But for the life of me I have no idea.
Planning on walking into the Apple Store and seeing what they can do. I have screen shots showing the coaxed alerts popping up, as well as the correct addresses and settings…. I really do appreciate this discussion though - it’s been a long time that I’ve been dealing with this, and it’s the first time I found a discussion on this specifically - that isn’t just simply going down the list of settings….

Leschy

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2012
Bavaria (Germany)
Unfortunately the feature isn't really working since years for me.... it must be iCloud / backend located.... iPhone iPad MacBook Pro completely new installed, still doesn't work...

Lagitane

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2022
Yeah. When it first came out it worked great for almost a year - just long enough for me to get hooked and start to rely on it. Then it stopped working; it’s actually been not working longer than it has been working. I’m stubborn so I won’t give up. Obviously it’s not a critical thing - just annoying. I hate it when something is sold as a feature when it really doesn’t work. Especially something as useful as this.

Leschy

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2012
Bavaria (Germany)
Yeah. When it first came out it worked great for almost a year - just long enough for me to get hooked and start to rely on it. Then it stopped working; it’s actually been not working longer than it has been working. I’m stubborn so I won’t give up. Obviously it’s not a critical thing - just annoying. I hate it when something is sold as a feature when it really doesn’t work. Especially something as useful as this.
100% acknowledge !!! exactly the same here

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Updating my own old thread to say that iOS 17 seems to have fixed this issue in my particular case. For what it's worth.

exi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Over the last few months, no matter whether events are created on iOS or macOS under same Apple ID, I've noticed extremely intermittent functionality of this feature. Most of the time, the "time to leave" notifications don't trigger. Anyone notice any consistent steps to fix?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.