Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NanoMeko

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
Hi everyone,

Loyal apple fan since the early 90s here. I went to an apple store today to buy an iphone 5s 32gb like I do every year but things felt different this year.

I had an iphone 5 black this year, recently gave it away in anticipation for the 5s.. so I went to the store to check out my future purchase and tried the "space gray" 5s. I didn't like the new home button, looks ugly as if a dark plastic sheet was put there to hide the camera and it's not the same color as the rest.

The phone itself feels like the 5 I spent a year with so pretty boring at this point. The silver and gold looked pretty feminine/childish to my taste.

So I asked a "genius" if I can get the "space gray" and the very tired "genius" told me that they do not know when they will get stock.

Basically I'm pretty bored and tired of the same cycle and the "limited stock" at launch thing they do every year. Release a phone, release enough of it amirite?

Also I don not think I want to spend another year with the same old phone as the 5.

What can I switch to? I will miss imessage and facetime but I have an ipad as well so it'll be ok. I just need a good device with a good gps and a nice screen.

Any good suggestions for an iphone 5s "killer" currently in the market or on the horizon that I should check out??

Thanks for reading this rant. I might come back to Apple if the iphone 6 is awesome and comes out it preorder or sane quantities at launch instead of in limited quantities to create hype.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
who is your provider? GSM?

Would 100% get the new nexus, or possibly Moto X (although read camera isnt the best).

Could never really go wrong with an S4. Big screen, all day battery life.

NanoMeko

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
who is your provider? GSM?

Would 100% get the new nexus, or possibly Moto X (although read camera isnt the best).

Could never really go wrong with an S4. Big screen, all day battery life.

Thank you for the suggestions. It needs to be a GSM phone. I will keep an eye on the new nexus. The Z1 one also looks very good to me. I would prefer the something with the standard google interface and not something that is too custom and has to wait too long for an android update.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Thank you for the suggestions. It needs to be a GSM phone. I will keep an eye on the new nexus. The Z1 one also looks very good to me. I would prefer the something with the standard google interface and not something that is too custom and has to wait too long for an android update.

If you want stock Google, Nexus phones are the way to go. The Moto X is also very close to stock Google, although who knows how updates will go.

Alternately, you can go with one of the Google edition phones. They both get updates fairly quickly.

Finally... you could always look at custom ROMs for any phone. I've run the Google edition ROM on my HTC One, but I'm really happy with the HyperdroidAOXP ROM right now.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I have the nexus 4 and love it. Does not have LTE, so that is the downside to it, but still a great phone. I also have the HTC one which is what I am using right now. If you want something with a great screen, and great speakers. This is the way to go. You can get the Google Play edition that will keep you up to date with android. It just cost a bit more because it will be unlocked. Honestly I think you would really like the HTC one. You should go in the store and check it out.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I think the Nexus line is the closest thing to an Apple experience. Controlled hardware, software, good upgradeability, straight from Goog. See if that sparks some interest.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
The Moto X seems like a perfect candidate to you. It's nearly bone stock save for some Motorola-specific apps.

It does have a few tricks up it sleeves, primarily the always listening Google Now and the way notifications are handled on the Moto X.

Or if you're more adventurous, the HTC One or the Note 3.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
The Moto X seems like a perfect candidate to you. It's nearly bone stock save for some Motorola-specific apps.

It does have a few tricks up it sleeves, primarily the always listening Google Now and the way notifications are handled on the Moto X.

Or if you're more adventurous, the HTC One or the Note 3.

This or any of the play store edition phones.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I would definitely look at the Lumia 92x (depending on your carrier) or the Lumia 1020 if you're a photo buff. They have some nice features too, like they work with leather gloves on.

Of course, not everyone likes WP8 :cool:

Google is supposed to release the Nexus 5, which is about as "pure" android as you can get. I think Samsung has a "Google edition" s4, as does HTC. I'd look into them.

Motorola's Android lineup looks nice, but I haven't ever seen a Motorola "Droid" that wasn't on its last legs after 2 years.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
I would definitely look at the Lumia 92x (depending on your carrier) or the Lumia 1020 if you're a photo buff. They have some nice features too, like they work with leather gloves on.

Of course, not everyone likes WP8 :cool:

Google is supposed to release the Nexus 5, which is about as "pure" android as you can get. I think Samsung has a "Google edition" s4, as does HTC. I'd look into them.

Motorola's Android lineup looks nice, but I haven't ever seen a Motorola "Droid" that wasn't on its last legs after 2 years.

The "Droids" were also severely crippled by Verizon bloat.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
The HTC One is my top choice for any iPhone switcher, for its premium construction and easy migration for iPhone users. It is still running 4.1 here in the US but it is going to receive the newest 4.3 in the very near future. Alternatively you can also check out the Moto X if you liked to design your own phone and/or wanted the always-on voice recognition.

NanoMeko

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
ordered

Thanks everyone. Ordered the xperia Z1 with a free useless? sony smartwatch2.

This thing better be upgradabble to kitkat :)

----------

Is it a good idea to put a stock android rom on it? and if I do do is automatically get updates like on iOS or do I have to do it manually ?

Last edited:

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
Thanks everyone. Ordered the xperia X1 with a free useless? sony smartwatch2.

This thing better be upgradabble to kitkat :)

----------

Is it a good idea to put a stock android rom on it? and if I do do is automatically get updates like on iOS or do I have to do it manually ?

huh? look like the X1 is an old windows phone

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Something about those top and bottom spaces of black just throw it off for me.

Like there should be more screen or less bezel to really make it look nice.

Not an ugly phone by any means and looks solid from the reviews I have seen but that just irks me for some reason.

NanoMeko

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
The z1 is water proof right? I was strongly considering the S4 active or the Sony.

Yeap it's waterproof and has a dedicated photo button which makes it easier to use underwater.

I just ordered it because it seems really powerful and I actually like the design. It'll feel weird switching to android but I'm looking forward to the change.

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
I really like my nexus 4 but I came from an iphone4 and loved the £200 price tag. Might be worth waiting to see what the nexus 5 offers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.