Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
There are 2 approaches to installing Yosemite. A lot of people install Yosemite on top of an already installed version of OS X such Mavericks 10.9. Others like myself, like to do a clean install of major OS X releases.

When I do a clean install I first make sure that a Time Machine backup has been performed. I boot to a OS X installer I previously created. When the installer runs I launch Disk Utility from the installer menu, select the internal hard drive and then erase it. I exit Disk Utility and proceed with the install. This takes about 15 minutes or so. I then start creating the user accounts. When I restore the user data from the Time Machine backup I manually copy over data from ~/Library/Application Support and ~/Library/Preferences. I also re-install applications from scratch. I like doing the install this way because I get a chance to clean out old data that is no longer needed. This approach does take some extra time.

Apple says updating your device from the app store is the way to do it and everything will be fine. Who are the average apple customer going to believe? You are Apple.

If your way is the best Apple must be wrong, right? Either you don't know what you're talking about or apple doesn't.

If you are correct the problem is today's average customer does not have the knowledge to do it your way and would not even attempt to try it.

PilotTiny

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2013
United Kingdom
Will Apple apologise and make amends for ruining peoples lives and businesses? - they can certainly afford to …….. only when Hell freezes over me thinks - or the management say "this is a PR disaster - people need to be compensated".

For goodness sake. I am 110% certain Apple is not ruining people's lives. I'm sorry but I hope you are trolling or something because I can't take you seriously.
I have been running Yosemite since Public Beta 1 and have never had any trouble with it. Let me guess, you also think you should be compensated for updating your iOS device too? Nobody forces you to upgrade and with the right tools, you can easily downgrade back to Mavericks.

I can't wait to see you code an operating system.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Apple says updating your device from the app store is the way to do it and everything will be fine. Who are the average apple customer going to believe? You are Apple.

If your way is the best Apple must be wrong, right? Either you don't know what you're talking about or apple doesn't.

If you are correct the problem is today's average customer does not have the knowledge to do it your way and would not even attempt to try it.

Calm down. Of course you download the OS X installer from the app store. Then you can create a bootable installer: http://www.macworld.com/article/236...otable-os-x-10-10-yosemite-install-drive.html.

That does not change what I posted as 2 possible ways to install OS X. And both require that you download the installer from the Mac app store.

I think it is pretty funny that you think I came up with, as you put it "my best way", on my own. Like no one ever before had attempted to do a clean install.

Last edited:

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Calm down. Of course you download the OS X installer from the app store. Then you can create a bootable installer: http://www.macworld.com/article/236...otable-os-x-10-10-yosemite-install-drive.html.

That does not change what I posted as 2 possible ways to install OS X. And both require that you download the installer from the Mac app store.

I think it is pretty funny that you think I came up with, as you put it "my best way", on my own. Like no one ever before had attempted to do a clean install.

Taz I'm not putting you down in any way. Just looking at this through the eyes of your average mac owner. Most don't now how to work around these problems and would never try because they are afraid they will screw up their data and device.

I think it's great you have such knowledge. Most users don't and they are pissed because they spent top dollar for a computer and followed Apple's instructions to download OSX 10.10. and it's got their device doing crazy things. It's that simple.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Taz I'm not putting you down in any way. Just looking at this through the eyes of your average mac owner. Most don't now how to work around these problems and would never try because they are afraid they will screw up their data and device.

I think it's great you have such knowledge. Most users don't and they are pissed because they spent top dollar for a computer and followed Apple's instructions to download OSX 10.10. and it's got their device doing crazy things. It's that simple.

it's not "most users" - people keep making that false claim, but as I (and many others have stated time and time again) the sample from forums like these is biased by its very nature. Look at the OVERALL customer sat scores, from the userbase as a whole, and you'll see that the reality is far different from what you and others have tried to paint as the truth here.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

https://support.apple.com/kb/TA25045?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US. And to think Apple does not *approve* doing a clean install according to you.

I guess people reporting problems at Mac Rumors about Yosemite represents everyone because if you report a problem with Yosemite it must be the case that everyone will.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
https://support.apple.com/kb/TA25045?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US. And to think Apple does not *approve* doing a clean install according to you.

I guess people reporting problems at Mac Rumors about Yosemite represents everyone because if you report a problem with Yosemite it must be the case that everyone will.

Ok i give up everything has gone perfect with OSX 10.10 and the 10s of thousands of complaints are all BS. You win have a nice day.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Ok i give up everything has gone perfect with OSX 10.10 and the 10s of thousands of complaints are all BS. You win have a nice day.

Question...Can you show the 10's of thousands of dissatisfied users posted somewhere that we can read up on ?

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2009
I have never had problems with wifi since I bought this 27" retina iMac at Xmas time as I have had since.

I know its not the iMac itself but i was about to lose my temper with my cable company ROGERS, ( better known as ROBBERS) and now wonder if it is really just Yosemite???

I am on my computer 12 hours per day to the point my eyes spin but i work non-stop.
I rarely lose my wifi during the day but by the time the masses are home from work, I keep dropping the connections. I am getting pretty tired of it.

I am using a Refurb 2011 AirPort Extreme Base Station but I bought this several months before Yosemite and never had a problem with it.
Wondered with Yosemite if I would encounter problems but i really dont believe its the cause.

So reading though a few posts at the begtinning it seems APPLE has not yet resolved this wifi issue and i consider this a critical one that should be resolved before its realeased to the public!!! ;*

EDIT:

Upon further reading, I see many arent having wifi issues.
I am not convinced it isnt my Cable Company, Rogers, as we have recenty "fought" fought over the fact they tried to pull a fast one on me, and thousands others, many of whom complained to the CRTC and they were forced to put back our price package to what we had been promised. I woud hate to think they are playing games but i dont kow where to begin trying to figure out my wifi issues

BUT in the meantime, could my 2011 AirPort Extreme Base Station be cuasing wifi issues when i had nothing but issues before i got it last year that my cable company could not solve. I was advised to get this and everything worked. As soon as i went to Yosemite, it didnt.

I really just want my internet to work so what information do i need to come up with in order that someone might be able to guess what the proble might be?
All I know is that at night time, when most people would be on cable, I drop it a lot, yet i live in midtown Toronto, I am not out in the sticks anywhere so I should have great reception no?

:(

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

Why are you treating this like a contest?

I never said that people don't have real issues with Yosemite. But at the same time I am not going to tell any user that they should not install Yosemite because there could be a possibility that they will have a problem.

If you look at my posts I have been helping posters solve their problems they have with Yosemite. So I read all the problems posters are reporting. You act like I have been putting my hands over my ears, screaming "MEMMEME".

Let me ask you this, if you consider all the people that post on every forum on the internet that have had issues with Yosemite, how many people do you think are having issues outside of the forums? 10,000? 100,000? 500,000? More then 500,000? If the issues are as wide spread as what you proport them to be then the number should be very higher. Or is it the case you think any person that has an issue is too many. Kind of the chicken little syndrome, running around reporting the sky is falling.

The problem with the way you post is it is all skewed towards the sky is falling. Even one poster poised the analogy using Russian Roulette to one poster who asked if it was safe to install Yosemite.

Read my posts and you will see that I have told posters you ask if they should install Yosemite, to install it on a seperate partition on their hard drive. If it causes issues they delete the partition and continue on with what they have installed in the primary partition. Everyone should decide for themselves if installing Yosemite works well on their hardware.

Let me also say this. There have been several instances where more then one poster, using the same hardware, reporting night and day differences running the same version of Yosemite. I can site an instance where there was at least 2 other posters, myself included, with a Early 2009 Mac-Mini with basically the same configuration with maybe the only difference being a hard drive vs an SSD. In my case, I had zero lag in finder. The other 2 reported slight lag and severe lag in finder. I even posted a video showing that my installation had zero lag. So how do you account for this difference where someone was having issues and someone like myself was not. In my case, I was running a very slow 5400 RPM hard drive.

The point being, there are other factors that can contribute to a person having issues with Yosemite that have nothing to do with Yosemite per se. This isn't a black and white case as you are trying to treat it.

Last edited:

SaxnFlutman

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
There are 2 approaches to installing Yosemite. A lot of people install Yosemite on top of an already installed version of OS X such Mavericks 10.9. Others like myself, like to do a clean install of major OS X releases.

When I do a clean install I first make sure that a Time Machine backup has been performed. I boot to a OS X installer I previously created. When the installer runs I launch Disk Utility from the installer menu, select the internal hard drive and then erase it. I exit Disk Utility and proceed with the install. This takes about 15 minutes or so. I then start creating the user accounts. When I restore the user data from the Time Machine backup I manually copy over data from ~/Library/Application Support and ~/Library/Preferences. I also re-install applications from scratch. I like doing the install this way because I get a chance to clean out old data that is no longer needed. This approach does take some extra time.
That sounds like a good way to do it, however..... even though I've been using Macs 20+ years, I do not feel competent enough to do all that, manually copying data from those Library files, re-installing all apps from scratch? That alone would take me hours & hours, if I even have the original dmg files for every one, etc. And if something went wrong and things went South, then I'd really be in a big mess...

And you suggested those with issues call Apple. Well I did then when a previous update went awry, several years ago, was told by a higher level support person they were aware of the bug, were working on fixing it asap, and a corrected update would be out soon. Well three weeks later no fix had been released, so I called back, talked to another higher level person, and this time was told there was in fact no bug, he knew nothing of what i was talking about, and everything was fine.... So much for calling Apple!

----------

I never said that people don't have real issues with Yosemite. But at the same time I am not going to tell any user that they should not install Yosemite because there could be a possibility that they will have a problem.

If you look at my posts I have been helping posters solve their problems they have with Yosemite. So I read all the problems posters are reporting. You act like I have been putting my hands over my ears, screaming "MEMMEME".

Let me ask you this, if you consider all the people that post on every forum on the internet that have had issues with Yosemite, how many people do you think are having issues outside of the forums? 10,000? 100,000? 500,000? More then 500,000? If the issues are as wide spread as what you proport them to be then the number should be very higher. Or is it the case you think any person that has an issue is too many. Kind of the chicken little syndrome, running around reporting the sky is falling.
Taz, how do you even know the "real numbers" of those with problems? I also don't buy that numbers are skewed because more with issues post in forums, because the truth is, many with issues don't bother, or don't have the time, as they're wasting too much of it trying to deal with their issues.

And the fact that many seem to be doing fine (and I see very few who say they've have zero issues), is no evidence that it's not buggy. Millions of cars are recalled, yet not every single one has the defect causing the recall. But if you have a product that is supposed to drive everyone's Mac, and a very sizable number of even expert users are screaming foul, discounting Apple's role is, well, irrational.

Even if 90% of all the issues have to do with "incompatibilities", wouldn't that mean there are programs out there very common to most Mac users, that are causing glitches, and if so, then it's certainly on Apple to create new OS that will work with those common programs.
If 30% of all Falcons fans attending games are handicapped, not providing extra ramps would simply be a dumb move for the organization. Companies need to think of their user-base, NOT just "hey this would be cool to do", constructing a new OS... I'd rather they fix what they have than tread forward as sloppily as it sure seems like they do.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Apple's statement that the next OS will focus on stability and performance is a veiled admission that Yosemite was not ready for prime time. Ever since they adopted this crazy annual update cycle, quality has suffered, and is quite evident given the myriad problems both Yosemite 10.0 and iOS 8.0 experienced.

The aesthetics of both Yosemite and iOS 8.0 are another matter entirely.

I always updated to the latest and greatest, but this time I decided to tread lightly. So glad I did. No issues with my machines running Mavericks or iOS 7.1.2.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
For a few crazy reasons I've reinstalled Yosemite on my MacPro 1,1 ;) (family sharing being one of them). Interestingly, the few issues I had before are now gone: jumping cursor (that one was pretty annoying when writing mails or forum posts by the way), auto-renaming of afp servers, safari taking ages to load the first page on launch. I have no idea why I don't experience these anymore but everything is smooth now. And fast. Does it have something to do with the fact that I clean installed mavericks a few weeks ago? Maybe... Except for Helvetica (that should be darker imo) and the overall brightness, 10.10.2 so far is rock-solid and a rather pleasing experience. Without transparency though :eek: ;) Fingers crossed... :)

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009

The problem with the way you post is it is all skewed towards the sky is falling. Even one poster poised the analogy using Russian Roulette to one poster who asked if it was safe to install Yosemite.

Read my posts and you will see that I have told posters you ask if they should install Yosemite, to install it on a seperate partition on their hard drive. If it causes issues they delete the partition and continue on with what they have installed in the primary partition. Everyone should decide for themselves if installing Yosemite works well on their hardware.

Let me also say this. There have been several instances where more then one poster, using the same hardware, reporting night and day differences running the same version of Yosemite. I can site an instance where there was at least 2 other posters, myself included, with a Early 2009 Mac-Mini with basically the same configuration with maybe the only difference being a hard drive vs an SSD. In my case, I had zero lag in finder. The other 2 reported slight lag and severe lag in finder. I even posted a video showing that my installation had zero lag. So how do you account for this difference where someone was having issues and someone like myself was not. In my case, I was running a very slow 5400 RPM hard drive.

The point being, there are other factors that can contribute to a person having issues with Yosemite that have nothing to do with Yosemite per se. This isn't a black and white case as you are trying to treat it.

OK Taz, settle down. Didn't mean to up set you are anyone else. I just think Apple should wait until they have their OS X stable enough for their customers who are not tech savvy before they release it to the public. Work arounds for people like me, I'm 64 years old and not tech savvy, is not fun.

Anyway I went ahead and downloaded Yosemite last night on my late 2013 MBP 15". It took 50 minutes to download and another 20 to install. Another 45 minutes to update apps. The MBP ran hot and used almost all of the ram (I have 8) during some of this process.

I've been playing with it this morning and everything seems to be working the same as with Mavericks. It's going to take some time to get use to the cartoon look.

Of coarse if things go south I'm going to blame you for talking me into downloading this new OS X. :)

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
OK Taz, settle down. Didn't mean to up set you are anyone else. I just think Apple should wait until they have their OS X stable enough for their customers who are not tech savvy before they release it to the public. Work arounds for people like me, I'm 64 years old and not tech savvy, is not fun.

Anyway I went ahead and downloaded Yosemite last night on my late 2013 MBP 15". It took 50 minutes to download and another 20 to install. Another 45 minutes to update apps. The MBP ran hot and used almost all of the ram (I have 8) during some of this process.

I've been playing with it this morning and everything seems to be working the same as with Mavericks. It's going to take some time to get use to the cartoon look.

Of coarse if things go south I'm going to blame you for talking me into downloading this new OS X. :)

Not an issue. I was not upset, really. ;) Yes you can blame me :D. Actually, when I first installed Yosemite I thought I would miss the 3D dock but as it turns out that is not the case.

See it is a win-win. :cool:

Last edited:

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Actually it's not running hot now but it's a ram hog for sure.

Not a hog, its just using what you have got to best effect. If your Memory Pressure graph is green than all is good, there is ram available if needed - it just heavily caches in case you want to reopen apps that you have closed etc.

tuan time

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
Does anybody else get worse battery life with the new beta? I get about an average of 5 hours with my late 2013 MBPr.

Screen Shot 2015-03-15 at 10.06.10 PM.png

Prior to the screen cap, it had an energy impact of 75+ and messages app was something absurd like 135. I've already turned off all my extensions (only had 3 to begin with) but no dice. Anyone with similar problems?

Dubdrifter

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015
I can't wait to see you code an operating system.

Rest assured, you definitely wouldn't want me to code an operating system!

I know I said Yosemite had more bugs than Bugs Bunny ….. counting the bugs posted on the 'Yosemite bugs thread' here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1740402/ on this forum maybe I under estimated ……. Bugs Bunny would need to have died in a flea farm and bloated to 3X normal size to get anywhere near carrying the numbers of bugs we are talking about here!
But if I was coding an OS, remember the scene in the film "Starship Troopers" when they land on the bug planet and the bugs start streaming towards the base? …… That's the number and size of the bugs Yosemite would have if I was programming!

Really glad you are having a trouble-free time with Yosemite ….. there have actually been quite a few others who have posted similar encouraging news on this thread ….. it's the large number of problems on other threads on MacRumours that might be denting your "thumbs up 4 Yosemite" stats.

treichert

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Aachen, Germany
Ever since they adopted this crazy annual update cycle, quality has suffered

Blablabla. 10.8 and 10.9 were great releases and so were basically all iOS releases. This is once again blown way out of proportion.

OS X has become more stable and more performant for me with every release since Leopard (which was a disaster at release, even though it took over two years to be released).

Dubdrifter

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015
Wow. Please stop, you're analogy is nonsensical. It certainly does not lend much credibility to what your posting.

Apologies ..... I know the analogy is suspect .... but so is Yosemite .... so maybe they go quite well together!

Dubdrifter

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015

If you look at my posts I have been helping posters solve their problems they have with Yosemite.

Go on, admit it Taz, you're not entirely convinced that Y is not at least "suspect"? ….. be aware, contradictory statements could damage your credibility!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.