Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

175019-time_warner_ipad_group.jpg

Two weeks after pulling channels from Viacom, Discovery, and Fox from its new iPad application that allows the company's cable and Internet subscribers to watch live TV on the device, Time Warner has announced that Discovery and Fox have rejoined the lineup. Time Warner filed suit against Viacom last week, and that dispute remains unresolved.

The new channels include Discovery Channel, TLC, and Animal Planet from Discovery, and National Geographic, FX, and Fox News from Fox.

Time Warner has been steadily adding channels to its iPad application since its debut one month ago, and the lineup now numbers over 50 channels depending on market and cable subscription package.

While Time Warner was the first traditional cable company to launch a live TV application for the iPad, Cablevision rolled out its own app earlier this month that allows subscribers access to as many as 300 channels, as well as support for a number of other features. Cablevision is attempting to skirt the objections of content providers by distributing feeds directly through its digital cable system and then wirelessly broadcasting them to the iPad rather than sending content over the Internet.

Article Link: Time Warner Adds Channels From Fox and Discovery Back to iPad App

Eriden

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
Great, here comes a torrential downpour of "Faux News" comments. :rolleyes:

Regardless of what is getting added to the app, I'm glad that Time Warner is pushing ahead with this. So long as streams are only viewable while on a customer's home WiFi network, the argument that the iPad is simply acting as another screen should win the day.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Arn, Wild Cowboy and Doctor Q.
I must be the one in the middle, judging by the goofy half-smile. ;)

It's certainly good to know that the viewing choices of millions of young Americans are in the hands of three senior white males.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
LOL @ the pic... that looks to be 3 generations of geeks. Seriously, what company would want to target *that* group for iPad content? These guys still have the flashing "12:00" on their VCRs. I just got the biggest laugh, so I guess all is well. Funny stuff.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I must be the one in the middle, judging by the goofy half-smile. ;)

It's certainly good to know that the viewing choices of millions of young Americans are in the hands of three senior white males.

Three senior white males who apparently can only afford one iPad :D

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Guy in the middle: Hey, look what I can do!
Guy on the right: Wake me when the app is finished downloading.
Guy on the left: Don't touch that button!

ciTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Portugal (Porto)
The more the merrier!
If more apps from different sources start coming to the marked sooner or later they will be forced to give us what we have been wanting for a long time! TV on our mobile devices... Without having to hack this device or do something to the other stuff...

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I don't want a cable package. I just want to be able to buy the 10 channels I watch. Hopefully someday, this will be a reality. I would pay $30/month for unlimited iTunes TV streaming, even with shows on a day after first airing. When live TV comes a streaming (legally), I will be right there. Just give me the news channels (CNN, MSNBC, FOX NEWS) and I'll be happy. Other than that, I don't really watch TV, except for a handful of channels like Bio, Discovery, History, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.