Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
Hi all,

I'm moving to a city with Time Warner Cable "Road Runner" high-speed internet service. According to their web site, you have to pay $3.95 / month to have more than one machine use the connection, aka home networking.

I find this claim nothing more than a dubious attempt to swindle more money out of otherwise ignorant users. However, I want to make sure...

I already own a Linksys wireless router and my wife and I have been using it with our existing connection (Cox Cable, not TWC) without a hitch for quite some time.

Once I'm all hooked up in my new home, I should be able to plug in the router and avoid the stuipd fee all together right?

Thanks for the info.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
I'm on time warner's road runner service, using a router, and sharing the connection with multiple computers. I've never seen this additional charge on my bill - I would be willing to bet however that you're paying the additional $$ for another dynamic IP thru the same modem (which they offered me way back in the day), but if you can network it yourself and set up your router, there's no reason to have to pay them anything more.

And FWIW - my dynamic IP # hasn't changed with them in about a year and a half, so I've been able to comfortable run a home webserver without having to redirect the URL address all the time. But that may just be my local service...

btw - I've been nothing but happy with it since signing up.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
i'm sure that fee is if they hook up the network and supply the hub or router. if you do it on your own it will work fine as long as they allow at least 2 IP's per account. most cable isp's seem to offer 3 ip's with each connection.

hope this helps.

craigdawg

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
Sactown
FlamDrag said:
Once I'm all hooked up in my new home, I should be able to plug in the router and avoid the stuipd fee all together right?
Right. I can't see how they would know that you have more than one computer plugged in. As far as they know, you have only one device (the router) attached to their network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.