Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
Dunno whether anyone else is getting this...

On watchOS 3, after I've had a timer complete, got the wrist buzz alert, and dismissed it, I then get a notification originating from Alarms telling me again that it's complete.

I don't need to be told twice, and it's intrusive and irritating.

The notification is full of underscores and in caps, too: COUNT_DOWN_-TIME_REACHED

Can I disable this? Couldn't find settings for Alarms anywhere, nor Timers...

Hope someone can advise, or at least confirm the same bug.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I just tried it, and I haven't gotten the second notification, although it's only been a couple of minutes. How quickly did your second notification arrive?

Reactions: Crosbie

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
Maybe 10 seconds later. Thanks for testing. Weird...

I'm using one minute countdown for speed, usually launching from a complication... I've tried different faces, same effect.

Did you launch directly? Might test that.

Hmm, seemed to give the notification more quickly when timer was run from the app, rather than via a complication...

EDIT: But that seemed to change when the iPhone was connected. Instant second notification when iPhone was on airplane mode, delayed when it was connected to the watch. Weird.

Last edited:

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I just chose the one minute timer directly from the watch face complication, and I haven't had any issues.

Reactions: Crosbie

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
Thanks guys. What the hell?

Using a series 0 38mm on WatchOS 3... dunno what else might be special.

How annoying / time consuming is an erase and reset...?

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
Restarted the watch, no change. I'll try restarting the phone, though not sure how it'd affect the issue...

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
Restarted the watch, no change. I'll try restarting the phone, though not sure how it'd affect the issue...
This made no difference.

EDIT: But this morning, I'm not getting this issue while Do Not Disturb is still on...

EDIT 2: The notification is still generated, but doesn't interrupt the display. It sits in the notification tray.

Last edited:

asady90

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
Interesting. What have you tried? Got any unusual settings?

No unusual settings. Tried restarting both iPhone and watch but no change. Still get the annoying second notification. Might try restoring watch later...

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
No unusual settings. Tried restarting both iPhone and watch but no change. Still get the annoying second notification. Might try restoring watch later...
Yeah I'm thinking about that. Let me know if you do it first and get no difference!

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I have seen the same thing, but not consistently. What is consistent is that if I set an alarm (which I do every night... the watch wakes me up), I will get a second duplicate notification. When the alarm goes off, it gives me the usual option to Snooze or Dismiss. Regardless of which option I select, a second or two later another Alarm notification will appear. The second one has only a Dismiss button.

I'm sure there will be some bugs to fix over the next month or so... hopefully this will be one of them that gets fixed soon. I'm also looking forward to some updates for third party apps. Some of mine are a little buggy on OS3, but they worked fine on OS2.

Sean

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
It's almost like it's mirroring to the phone, and then notifying back... except I had a look into Alarms on the phone to see whether one was getting set via the watch, and couldn't see anything.

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
Erased all settings from the watch, then re-paired and restored from backup.

This seems to have worked. Tentatively tagging as 'resolved'. Can others confirm?

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Erased all settings from the watch, then re-paired and restored from backup.

This seems to have worked. Tentatively tagging as 'resolved'. Can others confirm?

I'm still experiencing the behavior with timers and alarms. It's too busy a time at work to mess with it right now, but maybe I will try to re-pair the watch. I didn't think there was a watch backup?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.