Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caritas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Hello,
As most mac users I am very careful with my equipment (a behaviour that most often is bordering on the unhealthy) and especially so when cleaning the screen of my MBA. As we know the screen gets smudgy easily and in my case it collects a lot of dust. To clean it I only use a microfiber cloth (which I regularly change) and dampen it slightly if necessary without applying too much pressure. Despite this (following Apple’s recommendations) I have noticed several fine lines/scratches that are visible when sunlight is reflected from the side of the screen. One needs to tilt the screen a bit for them to become visible.

Now, I am wondering if this is something other people have experienced and what the cause could be? Is it that I am damaging the anti-glare coating on the screen (the scratches don’t seem to be very deep at all)?
My main concern is that regular cleaning will eventually damage the screen significantly. I have tried a protective screen cover (Moshi iVisor) but don’t like the colours when it’s on.

Any and all feedback on this is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.