Tiny windows .exe on a mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by derrick, Oct 9, 2004.

1. derrick macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2004
    Hello all,

Im the proud owner of a brand new 17"pb. Im so glad to make the change from Windows, this thing just works, and its sick.

But I have a question.

I have an axis web cam, that uses a tiny windows utility - a .exe with a simple user GUI, - that I would need to use to configure an IP on the camera.

Unfortunately, I cant find anything to use that will just present and x86 daemon just for running tiny little apps... has anyone got any ideas?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Since it has a built in web server, can't you use a browser to set up the camera?

Though you may need to set the Mac manually to an IP address that can see the camera. But you have the same problem with airport and routers anyways.

3. derrick thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2004
    I wish it were that easy. The Camera at the moment doesnt have an IP address. I think that the util finds the camera by tracking down the MAC address. The only way that IVe been able to do it before (and thats on a windows machine) is to use this util.

The DHCP client table only has the machines that I know about (not including my camera)

A funny one dont you think?
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    It does say the default address for some of the cameras is

Unless you manually set the Mac to an address in the range to -- you won't see the camera, and won't be able to connect.

Using DHCP on the Mac will most likely mean you won't see the camera on the local network if you are running addresses outside to

Also try the last IP address you gave it, but you will likely have to manually set the Mac to an address that can see the camera.

Otherwise there is always the option of using a PC, or buying Virtual PC.
  5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Microsoft Virtual PC is really the only practical way to run Windows binaries on a Mac.

There is also the free bochs emulator, but IMO it still offers more in the way of frustration than help.
  6. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2003
  7. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Do you still have access to a PC? You could run the program on the PC, get the info, and set it up very easily manually on the Mac. Otherwise, get VPC.