Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derrick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2004
Hello all,

Im the proud owner of a brand new 17"pb. Im so glad to make the change from Windows, this thing just works, and its sick.

But I have a question.

I have an axis web cam, that uses a tiny windows utility - a .exe with a simple user GUI, - that I would need to use to configure an IP on the camera.

Unfortunately, I cant find anything to use that will just present and x86 daemon just for running tiny little apps... has anyone got any ideas?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Derrick

derrick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2004
I wish it were that easy. The Camera at the moment doesnt have an IP address. I think that the util finds the camera by tracking down the MAC address. The only way that IVe been able to do it before (and thats on a windows machine) is to use this util.

The DHCP client table only has the machines that I know about (not including my camera)

A funny one dont you think?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
It does say the default address for some of the cameras is 192.168.0.90

Unless you manually set the Mac to an address in the range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254 -- you won't see the camera, and won't be able to connect.

Using DHCP on the Mac will most likely mean you won't see the camera on the local network if you are running addresses outside 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254

Also try the last IP address you gave it, but you will likely have to manually set the Mac to an address that can see the camera.

---

Otherwise there is always the option of using a PC, or buying Virtual PC.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
derrick said:
Unfortunately, I cant find anything to use that will just present and x86 daemon just for running tiny little apps... has anyone got any ideas?
Microsoft Virtual PC is really the only practical way to run Windows binaries on a Mac.

There is also the free bochs emulator, but IMO it still offers more in the way of frustration than help.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Do you still have access to a PC? You could run the program on the PC, get the info, and set it up very easily manually on the Mac. Otherwise, get VPC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.