Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Expanding on the Typing Period Quickly Tip posted by David Pogue earlier today, iPodHacks notes that the same sequence can be used for the shift to to allow you to quickly capitalize a letter without disrupting your typing.
Just touch the shift key and then slide your finger across the screen to the target letter. Your moving finger will trigger the confirmation pop-ups for the letters you're swiping over, and the letter under your finger when you lift off the screen will register (or be typed), in caps. Smooth caps!

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
This is getting a bit ridiculous. How many of these is he going to point out before everyone gets the fact that the iPhone keyboard only registers typing keys on "mouse-release" but recognizes typing on modifier keys on "mouse-press". I'm not meaning to belittle the genius of the guys who came up with it, but let's stop pretending like we're finding new tips to share here.

Edit: ok, so maybe ridiculous is a little strong. I guess the real point of my comment is to help those who read it to understand that they can use this functionality any time they need to press a modifier key.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
This is getting a bit ridiculous. How many of these is he going to point out before everyone gets the fact that the iPhone keyboard only registers typing keys on "mouse-release" but recognizes typing on modifier keys on "mouse-press". I'm not meaning to belittle the genius of the guys who came up with it, but let's stop pretending like we're finding new tips to share here.

Edit: ok, so maybe ridiculous is a little strong. I guess the real point of my comment is to help those who read it to understand that they can use this functionality any time they need to press a modifier key.

i couldn't agree with you more...

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles

You are exactly right, this "tip" is completely useless, IMHO. The shift/caps key un-toggles after hitting one letter anyways, unless you double tap it for caps-lock (and you have to toggle an option in the settings pane in order to use this function anyways). Dragging feels slower and MORE cumbersome to me then just tapping.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
You are exactly right, this "tip" is completely useless, IMHO. The shift/caps key un-toggles after hitting one letter anyways, unless you double tap it for caps-lock (and you have to toggle an option in the settings pane in order to use this function anyways). Dragging feels slower and MORE cumbersome to me then just tapping.

it's a useful feature for those who don't know and for those looking to fully utilize the functionality of their iPhone. just because you find it completely useless doesn't mean someone else won't. for me, needing to press shift and then a letter disrupts the flow of my typing, and I prefer the dragging of the shift key and for the periods and other keys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.