Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlteMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
New York suburb
Automatic (hourly) backups, which was broken in the release of 10.11, is not yet fixed in 10.11.1. I also cannot use TMEditor to do automatic backups. Manual backups work okay.

2012 MacPro. TM disk is external Firewire. all worked fine in 10.10.5

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Automatic (hourly) backups, which was broken in the release of 10.11, is not yet fixed in 10.11.1. I also cannot use TMEditor to do automatic backups. Manual backups work okay.

2012 MacPro. TM disk is external Firewire. all worked fine in 10.10.5
I had an issue where Time Machine wasn't backing up regularly in 10.11, but resolved it by toggling TM off and back on, and resetting the backup destination. It's been working fine since, and it works fine on several other computers I use, without intervention.

AlteMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
New York suburb
The issue is described in another thread and for some there is solution. If you have a UPS connected via USB (as on a APC Back-UPS 1500) disconnect the USB and reboot. The computer will then do automatic TM backups. Hopefully this will get fixed at some point in a . revision.

Reactions: 997440

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
The issue is described in another thread and for some there is solution. If you have a UPS connected via USB (as on a APC Back-UPS 1500) disconnect the USB and reboot. The computer will then do automatic TM backups. Hopefully this will get fixed at some point in a . revision.

Yeah that works, did it yesterday. Of course today we had a medium length power outage, first in a long time, that my Mac didn't notice because it was not monitoring the UPS.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Automatically backs up on mine, so far, on 10.11.1.

However, the UI isn't working properly. Going into the TM UI from any other folder other than (~) will bounce me right back to (~). Does this happen to anyone else? It happened in Mavericks, but Yosemite fixed it. Now, it's back to Mavericks in terms of that behavior.

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
Automatically backs up on mine, so far, on 10.11.1.

However, the UI isn't working properly. Going into the TM UI from any other folder other than (~) will bounce me right back to (~). Does this happen to anyone else? It happened in Mavericks, but Yosemite fixed it. Now, it's back to Mavericks in terms of that behavior.

I just ran a test where I was several levels down from Home (~), entered TM, when back a week and restored a file that had been deleted. It worked fine.

DS

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I just ran a test where I was several levels down from Home (~), entered TM, when back a week and restored a file that had been deleted. It worked fine.

DS
Actually, I meant ABOVE (~) - for example, can you please test it in the /Applications folder and report back?

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
Actually, I meant ABOVE (~) - for example, can you please test it in the /Applications folder and report back?

You are correct. If you start outside of your home directory, it will move to the home directory. To me this makes sense because that is where you have write authorization. I was then able to navigate to /Applications and restore a file after supplying the name and password for the admin account.

DS

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
You are correct. If you start outside of your home directory, it will move to the home directory. To me this makes sense because that is where you have write authorization. I was then able to navigate to /Applications and restore a file after supplying the name and password for the admin account.

DS
That's not what is supposed to happen. The whole purpose of Time Machine (and this has worked that way in Yosemite, Mountain Lion, Lion, Snow Leopard, and Leopard) is to be able to take you back "in time" wherever you are browsing in Finder. So, if you're in the Applications folder and want to restore an app, you go back in time and restore the app. It's not supposed to 'bounce' you back to your (~) directory. This behavior did not exist on previous versions of OS X, with the exception of Mavericks. You can test this on Yosemite, if you'd like.

When Time Machine was first touted in 2007, Apple said it could take you back to time whichever folder you're in. It has nothing to do with authorization. It's a bug. You do have write authorization in Applications, you just have to supply your user password.

You've confirmed my suspicions - it's an OS-wide El Cap bug. This existed in Mavericks, and it exists now in El Cap. It's definitely a bug.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I stumbled across the fix for reviving automatic backups and keeping your USB UPS connected. In Terminal, enter the following:
Code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine RequiresACPower -bool FALSE
Enter your administrator password when prompted, then reboot, and backups will resume.
This confirms that when the Mac is connected to a UPS, Time Machine improperly detects that the computer is on battery power.
This command also will allow backups to happen while the computer is actually running on battery power so once the bug is officially fixed, you'll probably want restore the default setting by entering the following in Terminal:
Code:
sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine RequiresACPower

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I stumbled across the fix for reviving automatic backups and keeping your USB UPS connected. In Terminal, enter the following:
Code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine RequiresACPower -bool FALSE
Enter your administrator password when prompted, then reboot, and backups will resume.
This confirms that when the Mac is connected to a UPS, Time Machine improperly detects that the computer is on battery power.
This command also will allow backups to happen while the computer is actually running on battery power so once the bug is officially fixed, you'll probably want restore the default setting by entering the following in Terminal:
Code:
sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine RequiresACPower

Nice find! If Apple didn't keep closing my bug reports, I'd post this back to them.

-Kevin

AlteMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
New York suburb
I just got a call fom an Apple tech person, who took lots of detailed info from me, said they are aware of the issue and they are working on it. The fix above works. Kudos to CHRFR!

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
The command line does the same thing as Time Machine Options, "Backup while on battery power".

DS

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Some on the Apple forums are reporting that backups aren't running if you have the UPS USB plugged in at startup. If you startup the Mac without it plugged in, and then plug it in afterwards, backups run.

-Kevin

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Some on the Apple forums are reporting that backups aren't running if you have the UPS USB plugged in at startup. If you startup the Mac without it plugged in, and then plug it in afterwards, backups run.

-Kevin
Yes, that's what this thread has been discussing, except that in my case, as soon as I plugged in the UPS, backups stopped working. The fix I posted above allows me to have both the UPS plugged in and automatic backups to continue.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Yes, that's what this thread has been discussing, except that in my case, as soon as I plugged in the UPS, backups stopped working. The fix I posted above allows me to have both the UPS plugged in and automatic backups to continue.

Sorry about that......realizing now I'm getting my threads mixed up.

-Kevin

theKiwi

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
Thanks!!!!

I discovered last night that TimeMachine hadn't been running on my Mac Pro since 11 November - why that date I'm not entirely sure!

Unplugging the USB cable from my APC 1500 UPS did the trick - what a bizarre situation!!!!!

Roger

autolink

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2015
Unplugging the cable has to be done with every reboot. Actually, you don't have to reboot, just restart the TM process, backupd-helper with the cable unplugged.

Addendum: DON'T RESTART backupd-helper. It isn't working anymore and it appears that TM is having to redo a large portion of the backup.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Unplugging the cable has to be done with every reboot. Actually, you don't have to reboot, just restart the TM process, backupd-helper with the cable unplugged.
Or just use the fix I have in post #12 in this thread.

autolink

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2015
Or just use the fix I have in post #12 in this thread.
If I use the fix in #12, I'm afraid that I'll forget to restore the default when the bug is officially fixed, if I even notice when that happens.

DON'T RESTART backupd-helper. It isn't working anymore and it appears that TM is having to redo a large portion of the backup.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.