Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoodMinefield

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2003
I took my eMac into the Apple store here in chicago on michigan ave. to get the screen repaired because whenever i played music using the internal speakers, the screen would "ripple" and "shake" and get severely distorted. Soooo i called up applecare blah blah blah, they told me to take in, which i did.

Afterwards, i went to apple.com/support/, and read that MANY people were having this problem, and a week later, the apple store calls me up to say "wellll we replaced your screen and all that, but its still having the problem, so we brought in some test units from the floor, and those eMacs did it too, so from what I can see its some kind of defect across the line, nothing we can do, you can come and get your computer whenever u want"

Can anyone saaaay....UNACCEPTABLE

Since then (that was 3 weeks ago) my eMac that has now been disected and bastardized is has been sitting nice and safely in the apple store, while I HAVE BEEN on the phone with Apple Executive relations, trying to deal with this man there telling me "we understand that the screen fluctuating is entirely normal, maybe u should have researched the product before u bought it" ummmm, try, i DID, the apple website says nothing about "if u want to play music using our internal speakers, the screen will ripple and shake" it simply advertises their 16 watt speaker system! And if its so "normal" WHY did they replace the screen?

Tomorrow, i am expecting the last call from this man i will be accepting, and it is to tell me if he will either refund my money, or replace the system with something in the same price range like a new 15" iMac or iBook or ANYTHING but that P.O.S. eMac, BUT if he tells me that I have to take the thing back and that this problem that his own REPAIR PEOPLE called a defect is "perfectly normal and isnt considered a defect", well, I have a handfull of law offices that I have contacted ready to file a class action lawsuit on behalf of ALL eMac owners who have ever experienced this problem, and I can guarantee you that apple will have wished they simply replaced or refunded my purchase, if it gets to legal point.

TO ALL EMAC OWNERS OF MACRUMORS : Have u had a simliar problem, and if so, what have u done about it or what has apple told u about it ?

Frozone

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2002
Atlanta, Georgia
I have had my eMac since December 14, 2002. I have not had one single problem. I'm glad that I got an eMac. I remember a while back that people seemed to be having a similar problem and it was called "Raster Shift" or something of that sort. Since the first of the year I haven't heard too much about it. I'm not sure if that is what is going on with your computer or not. I hope everything gets worked out for you.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
My sister has had an eMac for about 8 months. No problems when playing music through the internal speakers. As a mater of fact, no problems whatsoever.

Nice machine for $799.

MoodMinefield

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2003
I went to 2 seperate apple store around the city/burbs and tested eMacs there with a CD of music i brought, they all did the same thing.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
newbies.

this was indeed a problem for a while, an entire batch of eMacs seem to have been defective. Not sure why, that's an issue for Apple to work out with their vendors. But a lot of people experienced this... certainly not all. there are threads going back months about this, no new news here. If you were told that all eMacs are defective, they must have meant all of that particular batch. Sorry to burst your alarmist bubble.

edit: if you so much as threaten specific legal action, you are guaranteed to be shut down by whomever you are talking to. i suspect that they have specific instructions to follow if threatened in such a fashion. The correct course of action would be to calmly but firmly assert that they WILL make the unit functional again, or replace it with a non-defective unit, as your transaction has not been held up on their end. Your next step is to contact the BBB and file a complaint, they will work with you and Apple to resolve the issue (Apple is given incentive, as their rating goes down if they don't fix it). But I doubt it'll go to the BBB if you handle it smartly. Only a fool would even THINK that such a situation warranted a class-action filing, at this juncture.

pnw

MoodMinefield

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2003
LOL

LOL@'alarmist bubble'

No, i know a lot of people have been having this problem, like i said, all eMacs defective :)

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Re: LOL

Originally posted by MoodMinefield
LOL@'alarmist bubble'

No, i know a lot of people have been having this problem, like i said, all eMacs defective :)

No, you're a liar. I don't care how many people you "know", but this statement is a universal positive, and easy to disprove.

:)
pnw

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Re: LOL

I just had an arguement with someone a few months ago who said that all iBooks were defective because a few people had logic board issues. It sucks for those affected, but my Mom has one and it works fine.

Just as I know people with eMacs who haven't had any problems. There was an issue awhile ago, but AFAIK this is no longer an issue. Especially if you have a model with an ATI vid card, the newer ones. If someone told you that ALL eMacs were defective, you were told wrong or you misheard.

Not calling you a liar, just mistaken, as many people can attest to the fact that this does not happen with ALL eMacs. If you have a defective product, still under warranty, Apple will fix it, or give you a replacement after so many attempts to try to fix it.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
turn your bass down in itunes or buy some external speakers, good lord. this is by far the stupiest things i have heard of in a while.

iJon

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
my understanding is that this only happens if the volume is turned up past a certain point. (is that your experience?) So think of it this way: emacs work normally up to a certain volume. You have the option to set the volume higher than that, but in that case you may experience this shaking.

This is not an "emac defect." Put speakers under a crt, turn the volume way up, and the screen will do this. The irony here is that if they had used cheaper speakers this never would have happened and you'd be happy, but since emac speakers can produce decent volume and bass, this "defect" becomes apparent.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Is this the same basher who was here something like four to six months ago telling us that all eMacs were defective for some other reason?

I'd say, leave him alone and he'll go away.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by bousozoku
Is this the same basher who was here something like four to six months ago telling us that all eMacs were defective for some other reason?

I'd say, leave him alone and he'll go away.
dont think so, this guy registerd this month. but we can still leave him alone right :)

iJon

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
How to solve theproblem

1. Get a Hi-Fi amp and a set of real speakers (recomend Energy C-9's, mine push past 105dB which causes the room to shake a little)
2. Don't buy an all-in-one system (it's bound to have problems that require you to buy a whole new system)
3. Hence buy a system where ALL the parts are replaceable.
4. Speakers use MAGNETS, MAGNETS and CRT screens in close proximity have problems. hence point 3,2,1

MoodMinefield

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2003
hey, it wasn't me who said all eMacs had this defect, it was the apple store :)

I tried telling this to people on Spymac and i got pages of "youre and idiot" and "this is the stupidest thing i have ever heard someone say" remarks, i came to macrumors expecting a little more mature, some of you have proven me wrong there!

bottom line, if u build a product, build it to WORK, not "work to a certain point and then..." or say "in order for it to work, u will need to buy 3rd party products, sorry, u should have known"

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
oh lord.
you have to realize, MoodMinefield, that there are many iBook and eMac owners out there, and at the same time a lot of very vocal users who complain every single day that their iBook/eMac is a piece of **** because it breaks.
LIVE WITH IT!!! yeah, i complain too about my iBook, currently needing its second logic board replacement and an optical drive replacement, but I think it's worth it. I have yet to bitch a lot about anything else from Apple, because they make the effort to make quality products, especially iPods. My iPod only has scratches, nothing more, and it's been almost a year. I've dropped it at least once a week, I've soaked it in water by accident, and i've even swung it around by the earbuds many many times. Talk about an MP3 player! My only problem with it is that the capacity is too small :)
If I had the same problem with a PC, I would be the most pissed off person ever in the history of the world. Several years ago I broke my PC laptop. Manufacturer refused to repair it. Had multiple problems with Windows. Microsoft blamed it on the manufacturer of the computer. I'm glad Apple doesnt beat around the bush like others.
Come on, just get a new friggin computer or kindly ask Apple to repair your eMac. Live with the fact that computers, like bones and cars and parking meters, break. It's not always Apple's fault, and considering how "so many eMacs break", it might be a manufacturing problem. So please stop bitching about it.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002

I tried telling this to people on Spymac and i got pages of "youre and idiot" and "this is the stupidest thing i have ever heard someone say" remarks, i came to macrumors expecting a little more mature, some of you have proven me wrong there!

bottom line, if u build a product, build it to WORK, not "work to a certain point and then..." or say "in order for it to work, u will need to buy 3rd party products, sorry, u should have known"
more maturness, how about some common sense. You are listening to your music to loud with way to much bass and those speakers cant handle it. Obviously you are doing this or you wouldn't have encountered these problems. Go buy some external speakers and your problem would be solved. you are coming here bitching about something that can so obviously be fixed. you know it and we know that you want to listen to your music loud with bass, so why wouldnt you have some external speakers. go buy yourself some creature speakers or something.

iJon

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA

I guess you'll need to keep posting this story to various sites until you get the sympathy you're looking for (I might suggest a Windows or Dell forum).

Or maybe the folks at Spymac were right. :rolleyes:

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles

Look MoodMinefield, we're acting immaturely because your point was a little...stupid. Yeah they have problems. SO DO ALL OTHER COMPUTERS. Sheesh. Besides, get a real Mac with real speakers if you're seriously pushing the speakers on that thing to the limit.
All items work till a specific point. What, are you gonna sue a car manufacturer because you got into a really bad car accident...because you pushed it to the limit and lost control of the car? Some things are not meant to work the way you want them to once they go past a certain point. Welcome to the real world.
Besides, the guys at the Apple Store have got to be smarter than that. Which one did you go to? I've never met any geniuses that said anything like that to me.

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Re: How to solve theproblem

Originally posted by manitoubalck
1. Get a Hi-Fi amp and a set of real speakers (recomend Energy C-9's, mine push past 105dB which causes the room to shake a little)
2. Don't buy an all-in-one system (it's bound to have problems that require you to buy a whole new system)
3. Hence buy a system where ALL the parts are replaceable.
4. Speakers use MAGNETS, MAGNETS and CRT screens in close proximity have problems. hence point 3,2,1

Apple advocates making lame excuses for poor Apple product design and/or quality control does more damage to Apple than their advocacy efforts ever could.

The eMac is sold and marketed based on its characteristics as an all-in-one system. The point is not to have to plug in external speakers to overcome poor internal shielding, or flaky quality control. Making excuses for this just contributes to the increasingly crap levels of quality control of Apple product manufacture.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Re: Re: How to solve theproblem

Originally posted by oingoboingo
Apple advocates making lame excuses for poor Apple product design and/or quality control does more damage to Apple than their advocacy efforts ever could.

The eMac is sold and marketed based on its characteristics as an all-in-one system. The point is not to have to plug in external speakers to overcome poor internal shielding, or flaky quality control. Making excuses for this just contributes to the increasingly crap levels of quality control of Apple product manufacture.
the eMac was not supposed to be used the way he's using it either. So please think twice before you start defending a person who bought the wrong computer with the wrong built in speakers to listen to audio the way he is.
eMacs dont usually have screens that ripple like that when you play music at normal levels.
I mean come on, if he really wants to listen to music that loudly, he can just friggin go to best buy and get $20 speakers that will do the job.

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Did you see my attachment?

The title of the fourm is " Hardware Discussion and Help," I don't currently own a mac and havent for quite some time. (my last mac was and LC-475 (which wasn't all-in-one.)) I use an AMD based system and am looking to upgrade to an Opteron/Athlon FX(Sledgehammer) based system as soon as windows 64 is released. I am not trying to defend apple at all, just voice my opinion about my dislike of all-in-one systems and their drawbacks.

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Re: Re: How to solve theproblem

Originally posted by oingoboingo

It is my understanding that as long as you don't have the volume turned up to unreasonable levels, you don't have this problem. So you can still enjoy functionality, just not blaring sound (don't the speakers distort at this level anyway?)... If you want Apple to do something about it, I can tell you what it will be: They will simply issue a firmware update that prevents the volume from being set that loud, which would (i believe) hinder the operation of external speakers that are built for higher levels of sound.

To the original poster, for his complaints that MR members are bashing him. You start this thread by announcing that All eMacs Are Defective (you used a lot more capital letters tho, which is a rude way to start a post). Then, you ask if other eMac owners are experiencing this problem, and upon receiving two responses to indicate "no", you again announce that All eMacs Are Defective. Either you cannot follow a train of logic, or you are deliberately lying, which would really make you a troll. We don't like trolls.

I hope you can understand how this thread could have been much more positive (as well as informative) if you had approached it reasonably. As it is, you're lucky that anyone's even trying to help you.

pnw

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Re: Did you see my attachment?

Originally posted by manitoubalck
The title of the fourm is " Hardware Discussion and Help," I don't currently own a mac and havent for quite some time...
hey i wasnt talking specifically to you. That's great that you use Windows, honestly it isnt as bad as a lot of Maccies think. its just that all-in-one systems are ideal for certain things (ie elementary/middle/high schools).
However, MoodMinefield has a problem not with his eMac but how he uses it. With the proper use it wont cause problems like that.
Yeah people still have complaints about Apple's crappy hardware. Well there arent exactly a lot of people like that, and its not liek you can go out and get a new $200 motherboard to replace the malfunctioning one, or a CRT/LCD to replace the old one, and others, like you would do with a PC, especially if you build your own.
I respect your opinion regarding all-in-one systems, and i for one hate them because they're not as powerful as the Power Macs, but they're not that bad!

MoodMinefield

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2003
Originally posted by iJon
more maturness, how about some common sense. You are listening to your music to loud with way to much bass and those speakers cant handle it. Obviously you are doing this or you wouldn't have encountered these problems. Go buy some external speakers and your problem would be solved. you are coming here bitching about something that can so obviously be fixed. you know it and we know that you want to listen to your music loud with bass, so why wouldnt you have some external speakers. go buy yourself some creature speakers or something.

iJon

Okay, lets disect your idiocy here shall we?

1. Common sense? Common sense is for the product you buy to work that way it was AVERTISED.
2. Listening to my music too loud? The people at apple said it might happen at 60% volume, is that too loud for you? and even so, WHY put speakers in your product that you can't use? why not limit their power if they know if it goes past a certain point youre SCREWED.
3. I certainly COULD buy some external speakers, and its not like I can't afford it, its the principle of the thing, why should apple make you buy a 3rd part product in order for theirs to work properly? Apple did try and fix it, by replacing my screen for SOME reason and calling me up telling me that its still doing the same thing.

I cannot STAND these mac zealots who defend apple EVEN when its clearly wrong, to their dying breath! It IS just a corporation, and as we all know, corporations are not perfect.

Apple comes up with the WORST "solutions" for its own incompetence, and as long as there are people like YOU out there, they will see no reason to change and get their act together.

MoodMinefield

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2003
You people...

these people who say "it works as long as u don't turn it up too high"...umm, that actually means it ISNT working. This is ridiculous!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.