Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Indonesia
Hi, i have mac mini, my question is, should i let it sleep if im not using it (left to work) or just let it on (choose the never sleep option and untick the let harddisk sleep when possible). If i do this, will this shorten my mini's life? Considering it always on, although do nothing, just idle, what you guys suggestion? And what usually u guys do to your mac? Thanks :)

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Indonesia
PlaceofDis said:
sleep it all the way. better for the hard drive, and better on your electric bill.

Ok, i use a UPS, so if i sleep the mini, does it make any difference with the electric consumption? I mean if the mini needs small amount of electricity when sleeping, does it mean the UPS also will needs a small amount of electricity as well?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Since you re not serving files from it or an attached hard drive, nor using it in any other way which would require it to be accessible when you aren't on it, sleep is absolutely the right choice. And, yes, it'll draw a trickle of power from the UPS, but it'll still use less electricity. And very smart to have a UPS, by the way!

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Indonesia
Thanks for the response guys, anyway i have another question, in System Preferences, Energy Saver, Options, there is a checkbox for Wake for Ethernet network administration access.. Can somebody explain to me what is this for?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
sunrobby said:
Thanks for the response guys, anyway i have another question, in System Preferences, Energy Saver, Options, there is a checkbox for Wake for Ethernet network administration access.. Can somebody explain to me what is this for?

It basically has to do with Wake-on-LAN functionality. If you want to let your computer sleep but remain available to network administrator access, then you would select that checkbox. However, using ssh and telnet will not wake the computer, you actually require a Wake-on-LAN packet to wake the computer. If you're not familiar with this, it's basically a special type of packet containing your MAC address which can be used to tell your computer to wake up. Basically, you would send the packet to your TCP network's broadcast address so it goes to all the computers available on your local network. Only the one with the matching MAC address will actually wake up.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
I personally never shut down my Mac's unless i'm away from them for an extended period of time....As iGary put it if you aint folding sleep.....

SHadoW

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Indonesia
~Shard~ said:
It basically has to do with Wake-on-LAN functionality. If you want to let your computer sleep but remain available to network administrator access, then you would select that checkbox. However, using ssh and telnet will not wake the computer, you actually require a Wake-on-LAN packet to wake the computer. If you're not familiar with this, it's basically a special type of packet containing your MAC address which can be used to tell your computer to wake up. Basically, you would send the packet to your TCP network's broadcast address so it goes to all the computers available on your local network. Only the one with the matching MAC address will actually wake up.

Ok, got it, Thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.