To sleep or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sunrobby, May 27, 2006.

1. sunrobby macrumors regular

Hi, i have mac mini, my question is, should i let it sleep if im not using it (left to work) or just let it on (choose the never sleep option and untick the let harddisk sleep when possible). If i do this, will this shorten my mini's life? Considering it always on, although do nothing, just idle, what you guys suggestion? And what usually u guys do to your mac? Thanks :)

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

sleep it all the way. better for the hard drive, and better on your electric bill.

3. sunrobby thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, i use a UPS, so if i sleep the mini, does it make any difference with the electric consumption? I mean if the mini needs small amount of electricity when sleeping, does it mean the UPS also will needs a small amount of electricity as well?

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Just put it to sleep, it is definitely the best option. For other comments on this topic, see this thread. :cool:

5. iGary Guest

iGary

6. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

To Sleep, or not to sleep? That is the question.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Since you re not serving files from it or an attached hard drive, nor using it in any other way which would require it to be accessible when you aren't on it, sleep is absolutely the right choice. And, yes, it'll draw a trickle of power from the UPS, but it'll still use less electricity. And very smart to have a UPS, by the way!

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks for the helpful reply, I'm sure he appreciates it and it helps him a great deal. :p :cool:

9. sunrobby thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response guys, anyway i have another question, in System Preferences, Energy Saver, Options, there is a checkbox for Wake for Ethernet network administration access.. Can somebody explain to me what is this for?

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

It basically has to do with Wake-on-LAN functionality. If you want to let your computer sleep but remain available to network administrator access, then you would select that checkbox. However, using ssh and telnet will not wake the computer, you actually require a Wake-on-LAN packet to wake the computer. If you're not familiar with this, it's basically a special type of packet containing your MAC address which can be used to tell your computer to wake up. Basically, you would send the packet to your TCP network's broadcast address so it goes to all the computers available on your local network. Only the one with the matching MAC address will actually wake up.

11. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I personally never shut down my Mac's unless i'm away from them for an extended period of time....As iGary put it if you aint folding sleep.....

SHadoW

12. sunrobby thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, got it, Thanks :)

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No problem, glad to help. Any other questions, just post them... :cool:

14. sunrobby thread starter macrumors regular

What is folding.. ?

15. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Read up on it here...