Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joenj07087

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
for me bigger has been better, I abandoned iphone for the bigger Note 3( which by the way is 5.7 not 5.5 ), and frankly now I can't see myself going to anything smaller...however I like IOS...maybe I'l make the jump again this time into the iPhone 5.5. direction, I'll see how it looks tomorrow at the presentation.......!

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
if they are going to give two choices, I don't see this as a big deal, heck even three if the keep making the 5s as its still a powerful phone in itself.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Merry Christmas Eve!

I have 660$ waiting in a bank account to cover all possible upgrade pricing scenarios whether the 5.5 is $50/100/150/200 extra lol.

:apple:

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
For all the people who see larger screen phones out there and think, "yuck, thats just way too big!"

What, give it a chance to fall out of my shirt pocket when I bend over? Well, I guess I wouldn't have to worry about that since I don't have any shirts with pockets big enough for the monster to fit in. I suggest anyone thinking of getting the 5.5"er go to a telephone store and look at the 5.5"er Galaxy. I did and it's NOT for me.

For women with a purse, it might be the way to go, but I can't see myself jamming it in my front pockets. About the only advantage I can see in having one is if you watch a lot of videos.

Henke

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
What, give it a chance to fall out of my shirt pocket when I bend over? Well, I guess I wouldn't have to worry about that since I don't have any shirts with pockets big enough for the monster to fit in. I suggest anyone thinking of getting the 5.5"er go to a telephone store and look at the 5.5"er Galaxy. I did and it's NOT for me.

For women with a purse, it might be the way to go, but I can't see myself jamming it in my front pockets. About the only advantage I can see in having one is if you watch a lot of videos.

Yeah ,that's the only advantage:mad: also, stop carrying you're phone in you're shirt pocket it's a very very untidy look to have.

Last edited by a moderator:

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Yeah ,that's the only advantage:mad: also, stop carrying you're phone in you're shirt pocket it's a very very untidy look to have.

Actually I only put it in my shirt pocket when I need my hands to dig out my wallet. At my age, if I put in on the counter at a store, I might walk away from it.

That already happened at a grocery store. Luckily I checked my pockets when I went out the door. Oh, my gawd! I ran back in the store and it was still there.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Things turned out better than expected!

Really consider going for the Plus now ;)

Its so much more battery life. The ratio of screen to battery use is not linear! That means we really get exponential use and value from that extra battery space towards regular phone use. Around double!!!

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
Easy enough to find out. Just go to a store selling Samsung Galaxy phones and try one of their demo models for size.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
I played with my little brother's LG G3 for a few hours this weekend, and it's too damn big. It's a little less wide than the 5.5 inch iPhone. Every time I tried to use it with one hand I felt like I would drop it. The 4.7 would be better for one handed use, and I really don't see the point in getting a 5.5 inch iphone when I already have an ipad.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
I played with my little brother's LG G3 for a few hours this weekend, and it's too damn big. It's a little less wide than the 5.5 inch iPhone. Every time I tried to use it with one hand I felt like I would drop it. The 4.7 would be better for one handed use, and I really don't see the point in getting a 5.5 inch iphone when I already have an ipad.

I can hold my iPad Mini in one hand, though the phone is more similar in shape to my Nexus 7 tablet, which is very comfortable in the hand and even that fits in my back pocket (but always removed before sitting down). The phone a good bit smaller than either tablet and certainly easy for me to handle and judging from the Samsung Galaxy I test fitted to my pocket the 6 plus ought to be fine.

Gti5notrkt

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Wife was dead set on the 5.5" but I keep telling her "do you realize how BIG this is?". Just finished making a couple of mockups in cardboard to demonstrate the size compared to the IP5. After doing this I'm beginning to think that the 5.5" is the way to go and I was previously thinking 4.7" for me.

Hmm.....I think when it's in your hands that it will be a case of "I could never go back to such a tiny screen....."

Now I'm looking at 3 x $849 (off-contract).....ouch :)

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
Wife was dead set on the 5.5" but I keep telling her "do you realize how BIG this is?". Just finished making a couple of mockups in cardboard to demonstrate the size compared to the IP5. After doing this I'm beginning to think that the 5.5" is the way to go and I was previously thinking 4.7" for me.

Hmm.....I think when it's in your hands that it will be a case of "I could never go back to such a tiny screen....."

For women who carry their phone in a purse the increased size is a non-isssue.
Men's pockets are far more limited in space, but still, the 5.5 fits fine, judging by the Samsung I tried.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010

lol funny story

guess you psyched yourself out.

the whole cardboard cutout frenzy is quite bemusing right now. Textbook macrumors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.