Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jen5678

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
Hey,

I've posted about something like this before and got a lot of help, and now I'm having another problem :(

I updated to Toast Titanium 6.0.7 so I can burn from a Video_ts folder. I followed what was said to do in the guide to burning dvds topic. But the dvds aren't playing and I have ruined 3 dvds now?

I would really appriciate your help.
Thanks

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Just to check - you're choosing the Data tab, choosing DVD-ROM (UDF) from the left panel, then dragging the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders into the central area? If you don't have an AUDIO_TS folder then you should make an empty one - some players won't play DVDs that lack this folder. You should also ensure that the disc name is in capitals and doesn't contain spaces.

Jen5678

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
Ohhh, I thought you had to go to the video tab then advanced dvd-video from videos_ts

are there different ways to do it?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
It has to look like this...

Attachments

• toastdvd.jpg
    toastdvd.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 172

Jen5678

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
mine looks like that until I hit burn then it comes up with .ds_store

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
How are you creating your VIDEO_TS folders? Make sure in your DVD authoring program, you have auto-play set (connected) to either a menu or video track asset, otherwise, the DVD won't play.

Jen5678

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
Lacero said:
How are you creating your VIDEO_TS folders? Make sure in your DVD authoring program, you have auto-play set (connected) to either a menu or video track asset, otherwise, the DVD won't play.

I'm not quite sure what you mean

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Well for instance, in DVD Studio Pro, you need to set auto-play. Auto-play basically tells the DVD player what to do once the disc is inserted into the machine.

Attachments

• dvdsp.gif
    dvdsp.gif
    27 KB · Views: 66

Jen5678

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
I'm just using mac the ripper and then putting that folder into toast

Jen5678

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
I just really confused cause I'm doing what everyone is telling me but every time I try it doesn't work and I am wasting dvds?

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong lol

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Is your DVD player even capable of playing DVD-Rs? Try playing some burned DVD-Rs using the Apple DVD player in MacOSX and see if it works, otherwise, MacRipper is not spitting out DVD-compliant VIDEO_TS folders.

Jen5678

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
yes it works, i even tried playing them in my portable dvd player and they didn't work there either

Biker21098

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2002
CA
instead of toast...

Take your Video_TS folder and use DVD Imager to create a disc image from the VIDEO_TS. Then this disc image can be burned by Apple's Disc Utility. This is how I burn my VIDEO_TS folders, never fails. It does take a tad more space, and I love toast, but I dont trust it for my video DVDs. Hope that helps. Can get DVD imager at http://www.versiontracker.com

molcas&e'sdad

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2003
Minnesota.
I have the roxio product called "popcorn" - which compresses video_ts folders so that they fit onto dvd-r disks. I realize that popcorn and toast are different products - but they are both made by roxio.

When I ripped anything less than the full disk with mac-the-ripper (e.g., if I extracted the main feature only) and then tried to use popcorn to create a dvd, the newly-created dvd did not work in my dvd player. Is there any chance you are attempting to extract only a portion of the dvd with mac-the-ripper? If so, it is possible that all roxio products, including toast, will not accept the resultant video_ts folder of a partially ripped dvd.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
When I have Toast 6 set up to use a VIDEO_TS folder - one which I've created using MacTheRipper - I've had no problems whatsoever getting it to burn.

You might want to be sure you've got the latest MTR version (2.6.3 or perhaps later), and that your DVD media isn't incredibly cheap stuff, which sometimes doesn't work well. You can also tell Toast to burn at slower speeds, which might help.

Does Toast burn OK and report no errors, and yet the DVD fails to play?

Also, if you open the VIDEO_TS folder with DVD Player (open DVD Player, then open the folder with "File->Open VIDEO_TS Folder..." before you burn it, does it play? Perhaps the video folder itself is messed up.

Attachments

• Toast6.jpg
    Toast6.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 65

Jen5678

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
molcas&e'sdad said:
Is there any chance you are attempting to extract only a portion of the dvd with mac-the-ripper?

I checked to make sure the whole dvd was in the video_ts folder.

Biker21098, I really appriciate the suggestion, but I've already bought Toast so I would be able to backup my dvds, and if I'm not going to use it I really don't want to waste that $100 to just have it sit on my computer and not be used. You know what I mean? I'm not sure what the return poilcy is at the apple store, but whenever I have tried to return opened software at any other store, they wouldn't let me do it.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Jen5678

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
no Toast isn't bringing up any errors

I just tried opening it in dvd player and it didn't work, I have played it in mplayer though

I wonder if my mac the ripper is just old?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Jen5678 said:
no Toast isn't bringing up any errors

I just tried opening it in dvd player and it didn't work, I have played it in mplayer though

I wonder if my mac the ripper is just old?
It's a bad sign that DVD Player won't play it. Which MacTheRipper version do you have
(it's in the lower left corner of the window)? Also, is this just with one DVD, or many different ones you've ripped? Perhaps the DVD itself is problematic or has some new copy protection.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Biker21098 said:
Take your Video_TS folder and use DVD Imager to create a disc image from the VIDEO_TS. Then this disc image can be burned by Apple's Disc Utility. This is how I burn my VIDEO_TS folders, never fails. It does take a tad more space, and I love toast, but I dont trust it for my video DVDs. Hope that helps. Can get DVD imager at http://www.versiontracker.com

Just briefly looking over the posts, provided you have burn capabilities, using the Disk Utility and burning a .dmg of the VIDEO_TS is your best bet (IMO). I use Toast (6.0.7) from time to time, but burning from Disk Utility has NEVER resulted in a dvd coaster, for me. I also skip the 'verify' session, though some may have a different opinion on that.
X

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.