Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
lol... i hope her boyfriend was in like high school weighing 126 pounds that is gross for a grown man.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Ok guys (and gals),

I know there are some fit, healthy, young strapping men on here. We (me and my BF) need your help.

I'm trying to tone up my BF for the summer. He's a slim guy, but hell, I thought it would be awesome if he had a hot (;)) body for the summer.

At the moment he runs about a mile everyday and does 100 sit ups (crunches - whatever you call them) everyday as well. We want some tips to get him a six pack (plus the chest) for the summer. It's not just me who thinks this - he thinks it'll be good too!

So any tips for toning up?

Uber

The ability to get a "6-pack" is genetic. Tell him to work on the chest and do lots of core work and he'll know eventually if he can get one. I have tried for years, no go- and I'm a fitness freak. My stomach is flat, but the six pack isn't to be. My brother got the 6-pack gene.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
The ability to get a "6-pack" is genetic. Tell him to work on the chest and do lots of core work and he'll know eventually if he can get one. I have tried for years, no go- and I'm a fitness freak. My stomach is flat, but the six pack isn't to be. My brother got the 6-pack gene.

*cough*
May 20, 2006
It's been 3 years… if he hasn't toned up by now… I doubt she needs any advice.

:D:D

Mind, you're right about the "6-pack gene"…
Alas.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
Ah thanks. I didn't notice the date of the OP. :eek:

yeah i bet 20$ that they aren't dating. a girl who wants a hot bod'ed boyfriend for the summer.... tells me a great deal about their previous relationship.

watch the OP comments and they are married now haha

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
yeah i bet 20$ that they aren't dating. a girl who wants a hot bod'ed boyfriend for the summer.... tells me a great deal about their previous relationship.

watch the OP comments and they are married now haha

Ain't nothin' wrong with her wanting her BF in shape. Guys want women to be in shape, too. It's about time the ladies put their collective foot down and demanded the guys take care of themselves.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Never had a 6-pack like in the pictures/movies.

.....As many have said, you need a low body fat content for the 6-pack to show if that's important. Personally, I've never understood the need unless you need it for your profession like a body builder like this:

True.

Sometimes, I have a 6-pack, even without tightening my abs or anything. It depends on my recent diet and exercise levels. For example, I have a 6 pack now. You can see the lines on my stomach, but they're a bit faint, and certainly do NOT pop out like that. They're visible if I tightened my ab muscles, but it's hard to walk around like that all day.

FAKE EDIT: OMG!!! I had no idea this thread was so old!!

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
So you're saying it's OK for guys to want women to be in shape, but women should expect guys to be slobs?
IMHO, it's best to accept the other person as they are.

Someone once told me the following which carries a bit of truth to it in all relationships and not just marriage. It goes something like this:

A woman gets married and expects to change her husband, but he doesn't change.

A man gets married and expects his wife not to change, but she does.

They both end up disappointed.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois

Someone once told me the following which carries a bit of truth to it in all relationships and not just marriage. It goes something like this:

You are correct, of course. But I was speaking of society in general. Perhaps men need to get a taste of their own medicine. I was basically saying what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
But I was speaking of society in general. Perhaps men need to get a taste of their own medicine. I was basically saying what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Agree with you on this.

What's good for the goose is always good for the gander in a good relationship. :)

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts

From Tops20 cookie.exe:

"A good man goes out to seek companionship. A good woman stays home and waits. They never meet."

Everyone of us has a 6 pack. The problem as we age is that thin layer of fat over them that makes them invisible. What's genetic is that layer of fat on the tummy. Some just don't deposit fat there first.

followme

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
Japan
Hi UberMac,

Toning has two elements... 1) Removing fat to show muscle, and/or 2) developing some muscle.

Most people falsely believe that you can exercise hard and them show nice muscle, but if he doesn't have the muscle to begin with, he won't have anything to show when he loses weight.

Hit the gym and lift hard. Do a program like Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength (look it up). Build muscle so there's something to show. Unfortunately, it's VERY difficult to increase muscle mass while decreasing bodyfat; most people increase muscle mass, then go through a "cutting" phase to lose extra fat gained while increasing mass.

followme

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
Japan
Everyone of us has a 6 pack. The problem as we age is that thin layer of fat over them that makes them invisible. What's genetic is that layer of fat on the tummy. Some just don't deposit fat there first.

That's partially true.

We all have the muscles, but we all know at least a handful of guys who no matter how skinny they get never have any significant muscle showing through in their abdominal region.

To show a real "six-pack," the muscles must be large enough that it's possible to distinguish them individual, and at the same time the BF must be low enough to allow the muscles to show through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.