Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bleak

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
Closer to a want than need... I guess I'll go ahead and get it.
Think about what you're asking apple to do if you expect it to come in 4 months. If apple is to make the iPad minis new resolution in a way that doesn't mess with the current ecosystem it would have to match the ipad 3/4's resolution. Do you really expect that apple will be able to fit a retina display into a device that is less than half it's weight any time soon? It's going to take a while for them to do this, and the battery is going to be the main factor in this, most likely they will have to rely on a certain display technology coming out in late 2013 to lower power consumption so they can keep the weight the same.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sharp-IGZO-displays-find-customers-to-arrive-in-Q2-2013_id36933

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I'm not asking for it to be both ways. Some want it one way and some want it the other. I'm fine with an upgrade once a year. I bought the iPad 3 at launch and was fine with the iPad 4 coming out so soon... It's just that the screen is a big deal to me and I know I'll be bummed if a retina comes out in just a few months.

I wasn't saying you were. I was just commenting that there do seem to be a lot of people who do.

As for advice for you, I'd suggest just getting one. Let's say that Apple does release a new iPad mini with a retina display at the end of March. Even if you waited until mid April, you could probably sell your first-gen iPad mini for maybe $100 to $150 less than you paid for it. Then you could buy the new one. So, would it be worth it for $100 to $150 to be able to use an iPad mini for four plus months? In general, I would think that the answer would be yes, especially based on my experience using my iPad. (My wife jokes that it never leaves my side, which is an exageration, but not by that much.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.