Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
I remember when I was one of the few that had air conditioning, I used to really enjoy the fact that most people were hot and uncomfortable, my friends would all come over to cool off, it was great while it lasted, but nowadays it seems like everyone has it, I guess all good things come to an end, but oh how I miss the days when I was the only one who had a truly useful device. :)

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
pray tell what gave you the idea that you were unique?

its like the only phone thats gets freaking long lines and sold out for weeks:cool:

none of my friends had the phone, no one in my school had the phone for a few weeks. when I would take out the phone, everyone was like 'ooooh wow. is that the iPhone? that's so cool.'

having the only iPhone in my group of friends, that makes me unique. I didn't know anyone else who had it to talk about it. if I had a problem or didn't know something about it, I didn't have anyone to ask other than the people at the apple store, and half of them didn't even know anything about it

bradenwh

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
none of my friends had the phone, no one in my school had the phone for a few weeks. when I would take out the phone, everyone was like 'ooooh wow. is that the iPhone? that's so cool.'

having the only iPhone in my group of friends, that makes me unique. I didn't know anyone else who had it to talk about it. if I had a problem or didn't know something about it, I didn't have anyone to ask other than the people at the apple store, and half of them didn't even know anything about it

In the strictest sense, yes, you were "unique," simply because you were the only one with an iPhone. But if that's where you drew your feelings of uniqueness and importance, then you need help. If you only like devices that make your friends gasp in enjoyment when you bring it out, then maybe you should stop buying electronics altogether.

kdarling

macrumors P6
The answer is simple: if you need to feel unique, get a different phone ;)

My young daughter picked up one of my devices today and mentioned it looked like something on SyFy (hate that name). That made me think, who would buy what kind of phone on Star Trek?

Terrans = iPhone. (flashy, androgynous)

Ferengi = Blackberry (business-like)

Vulcans = Palm Pre (logical multitasking)

Romulans = Symbian (old world)

Klingons = Windows Mobile (manly, individualistic)

Borg = Android (because they like the name. and resistance is futile)

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
In the strictest sense, yes, you were "unique," simply because you were the only one with an iPhone. But if that's where you drew your feelings of uniqueness and importance, then you need help. If you only like devices that make your friends gasp in enjoyment when you bring it out, then maybe you should stop buying electronics altogether.

how is feeling unique a bad thing because i have something not many other people had bad?

and I didn't get the iPhone just to impress my friends. I really wasn't expecting that reaction from them. I thought they would say 'oh cool. can i have ur old iPod?'

and i will never stop buying electronics, considereing how our society is based on their use

The answer is simple: if you need to feel unique, get a different phone ;)

My young daughter picked up one of my devices today and mentioned it looked like something on SyFy (hate that name). That made me think, who would buy what kind of phone on Star Trek?

Terrans = iPhone. (flashy, androgynous)

Ferengi = Blackberry (business-like)

Vulcans = Palm Pre (logical multitasking)

Romulans = Symbian (old world)

Klingons = Windows Mobile (manly, individualistic)

Borg = Android (because they like the name. and resistance is futile)

i don't need to feel unique. i just liked it. my life wasn't based on it.

but I do like how creative ur thinking was. and ya, 'SyFy' is the dumbest name

kdarling

macrumors P6
i don't need to feel unique. i just liked it. my life wasn't based on it.

I know what you meant. So I was trying to lower the preaching ratio around here, by adding a little humor attempt :)

On a similar level, I do like being able to instantly look up stuff for my family. I suspect that everyone here is the same way, if they think about it. But I wouldn't mind at all if they were able to do lookups without my help.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Are you only happy with your phone if you are the only one who has it? :rolleyes: Just cause a lot of other people have it, doesn't make it any less special. I think it is a good thing, because it gives developers a bigger audience to make apps for.

exactly. if iPhone were so limited all of the 3rd party items would be as well.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
blancoBronco, what you've expressed is not an opinion. An opinion is a belief based on insufficient evidence. What you have expressed is a fact: the fact that you felt important and unique because of your phone and that you now miss that feeling of uniqueness and importance because others have the same phone as you. It is that fact to which people are responding, and they have every right to do so.

I have to say that I agree with them, in part; I certainly find this attitude of yours rather pathetic. For your sake, I hope that you will seek to find ways in which you can feel good about yourself that don't require comparing yourself to others or having things that others don't have. That is a dangerous path to go down, as it makes your feelings of self-worth dependent on external factors over which you have no control. And there will always be someone who has the same cool toy you do (or an even cooler one).

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
blancoBronco, what you've expressed is not an opinion. An opinion is a belief based on insufficient evidence. What you have expressed is a fact: the fact that you felt important and unique because of your phone and that you now miss that feeling of uniqueness and importance because others have the same phone as you. It is that fact to which people are responding, and they have every right to do so.

I have to say that I agree with them, in part; I certainly find this attitude of yours rather pathetic. For your sake, I hope that you will seek to find ways in which you can feel good about yourself that don't require comparing yourself to others or having things that others don't have. That is a dangerous path to go down, as it makes your feelings of self-worth dependent on external factors over which you have no control. And there will always be someone who has the same cool toy you do (or an even cooler one).

it definitely is an opinion. while I felt important because of my phone, I wasn't. I felt like I was; MY OPINION

my attitude is not pathetic. I didn't say I thought I was awesome and better than everyone else; I felt unique, not like everyone else, different. my self-worth was not determined by my phone. it was determined by me. even before I got the iPhone, I felt important because of what I contributed to society, my opinions, beliefs, thoughts, and insight. but after I got the iPhone, I had that little extra amount that I could contribute that none of my friends could. I never once thought that I was better than my friends because of it. I didn't rip on them because they didn't have the iPhone. that little bit that only I could contribute made me unique.

if u are the only one of your friends with a car when you're 16, you're unique. only u can drive somewhere. your friends would want you to drive them places. you're not better than them because of it, you're different

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Maybe it's less special but why should you be less happy with your phone?

And maybe it's a good thing. If more people are going to complain, for example, that there has to be flash support. Maybe than they will finally add it.

No worries, they will come up with something to make you feel more special. I'm sure.

I just want to see a bigger difference between the iPod Touch and the iPhone (I mean the exterior).

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
The thing was destined to be enormous when the first iphone was released. If anyone thought they were joining some elite society of underground techno geeks by getting one, they were clearly wrong. If it is too mainstream for you, sell it to someone that is going to value it for what it is, a smartphone. Then go buy a google phone. Those things seem to be pretty underground.

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
Maybe it's less special but why should you be less happy with your phone?

And maybe it's a good thing. If more people are going to complain, for example, that there has to be flash support. Maybe than they will finally add it.

No worries, they will come up with something to make you feel more special. I'm sure.

I just want to see a bigger difference between the iPod Touch and the iPhone (I mean the exterior).

ok. I acknowledge that when more people get the iPhone and request things that can make the phone better, there's a better chance it will happen. I'm glad about these things

I was just curious if anyone else missed feeling unique, whether or not they are happy with how popular the iPhone is now.

I'm happy about how popular the iPhone is and I felt unique and liked that feeling

and if you're going to post just to rip on me, the post is meaningless. I don't care if you think I'm spoiled, elitist, or just stupid. I know I'm not so you're not going to make me feel bad about my opinion that you're misunderstanding.

hchavarria

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

I actually agree a bit with the OP, not the whole it made me feel special part but I get bored of my phone somewhat fast...in fact it's looking about time for me to change phones. I'm actually just waiting for the TP2 to be released for the iPhone.

juswest

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
ok. I acknowledge that when more people get the iPhone and request things that can make the phone better, there's a better chance it will happen. I'm glad about these things

I was just curious if anyone else missed feeling unique, whether or not they are happy with how popular the iPhone is now.

I'm happy about how popular the iPhone is and I felt unique and liked that feeling

and if you're going to post just to rip on me, the post is meaningless. I don't care if you think I'm spoiled, elitist, or just stupid. I know I'm not so you're not going to make me feel bad about my opinion that you're misunderstanding.

I get it.Just find it wack. It's an electronic device made by a profit driven company never feel special because you have their newest device. Because soon enough everybody else will.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Sense of entitlement? Lol.

Since I got the original iPhone on launch day, I have been trying to get MORE friends to get it so they can enjoy using one.

I was the first person at my workplace of about 125 people to get it. And here we are a few years later with finally about 30 or 40 more people owning one.

I've also switch about 20 people over to using Macs so I guess you could say I am the unofficial Apple promoter of the bunch.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Since I got the original iPhone on launch day, I have been trying to get MORE friends to get it so they can enjoy using one.

I agree. I convinced my wife to get one instead of a Blackberry. Several colleagues are already thinking about it. I don't think it diminishes my iPhone that other people have the same awesome device.

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
USA
it definitely is an opinion. while I felt important because of my phone, I wasn't. I felt like I was; MY OPINION

my attitude is not pathetic. I didn't say I thought I was awesome and better than everyone else; I felt unique, not like everyone else, different. my self-worth was not determined by my phone. it was determined by me. even before I got the iPhone, I felt important because of what I contributed to society, my opinions, beliefs, thoughts, and insight. but after I got the iPhone, I had that little extra amount that I could contribute that none of my friends could. I never once thought that I was better than my friends because of it. I didn't rip on them because they didn't have the iPhone. that little bit that only I could contribute made me unique.

if u are the only one of your friends with a car when you're 16, you're unique. only u can drive somewhere. your friends would want you to drive them places. you're not better than them because of it, you're different

Let me spare you the suspense kid, no one really gives a damn. There are 6+ billion people on this planet- get used to being unoriginal. Sure, some might say they do but they really don't. If you really think that purchasing an expensive electronic device from a multibillion dollar firm with 25%+ profit margins makes you important, then you have some serious problems.

On the flip side, my iPhone has fundamentally changed the way I live and work. It's an amazing device that combines the functionality of 4 into 1. It has improved my life - that is the hallmark of a truly great product and it is worth the price that I pay. If another person could derive the same result out the product, I would wholeheartedly support them owning one - not grimacing because one more iPhone makes me "un-different."

Think Different...Change the world...Crash through barriers...Do not fear failure. These are what Apple has stood for. But for the love of god man, it has to come from within - not from your stupid phone. Grow up.

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
Which is why it is fact that you felt important and unique because of your iPhone. You didn't say that you were more important (which would be opinion); you said that you felt more important (which is a fact).

if I was more important because of the phone, then it would have been fact; because I felt I was important, even thought I might not have actually been more important, then it is my opinion that I was more important. Some of my friends might not have thought so, so it is not a fact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.