Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skyfex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
Hi

I will soon reinstall OS X on my PowerBook. After installing hundreds of applications I think it isn't performing 100%. Perhaps it's just me... But it would be nice to clean out the hard-drive and get things sorted out. I mean, I switched just 6 months ago. I am used to having to format my windows computer ever few months.

I thought that I should try and get an overview over what applications I will use. So I created a list over the best 3rd party applications for OS X (IMO), that I will use. This is what I came to:

-LaunchBar 4 Beta (Fast access to apps, bookmarks, etc)
-NetNewsWire (Newsfeed-Reader, Blogging)
-Proteus (I use it for MSN. Supports AIM, Y!, ICQ, etc)
-SubEthaEdit (Text Editing)
-Transmit (FTP Client)
-VLC (Media)
-X-Chat Aqua (IRC)
-Poisoned (P2P. Hey, I'm in Europe)
-Calculator+ (Binary!)
-HexEdit(Speaks for itself. Looking for an alternative here)

What is your top 10 list of software you use?

Note: Please append for shareware. Some of us emptied our wallet when we bought mac =)

Anticipat3

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
You've pretty much listed off my favorites.

VLC - Primo Media Player. Plays anything you throw at it, low CPU usage.
SubEthaEdit - Lovely lightweight text editor with syntax highlighting. be sure to get the 1.x version; 2.0 has been crashing on me.
XChat Aqua - Yeah. IRC. Not mIRC or any substitutes.
Poisoned - Yeah... P2P. It works.

Here's a few more that I've found exceedingly useful:
Camino/Firefox - either or, good backup browser for pages that have trouble with khtml
PDFShrink Shrinks down ginormous PDFs that OSX makes
MPlayer - VLC is nice too, but I like having both around.
hymn - lovely little program to strip the DRM off of iTunes AAC files.
forty-two - One click to rip a DVD to DivX or VCD. Sweet.
Netflix Freak - Great app if you use Netflix. Manages queue.
Sharepoints - GUI app for configuring network shares -- should be part of the core OS. Sets up SMB and AFS shares, permissions, settings.
Konfabulator - Runs all sorts of nifty widgets. I mostly just use the weather one and a few for news feeds (for Fark and /.)
Carbon Copy Cloner / NetRestore - Hard to believe apple didn't make these utilities themselves. Handy GUI tools for ghosting and restoring whole, bootable filesystems.
CocoaSQL - Wicked sweet SQL Database maintenance tool. If you're using a web-based one like MyPHPAdmin, check this out
nmap - Need I say more? ;) Can be compiled from source... a Cocoa version called nmapFE is available, as well.
Samba Message - Cool little app that sends messages to windows users. Has some good features for making spammers wish they were never born.
Windows RDC - Remote Desktop... means my windows box is now headless :).
iPulse - Handy System Resource Graph. I usually just use the Activity Monitor, but this program is interesting enough to have around.
Fugu - Free, Cocoa SFTP/FTP client. Much better than any others I've seen. This really should be integrated in the "connect to server" for the finder (read AND write) soon...
Candybar - Lets you customize all of your icons. Very slick, many nice-looking packages available.

Whew... if that doesn't give you a few new apps to try out, you've been busy! The programs are shareware, but later require a fee to keep using.

I administer a Mac network, and I'm a former Linux/Unix junkie... so some of these things kinda reflect that ;).

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
looking in my applications folder,

Adium
Synergy
Konfabulator
Salling Clicker
Aquisition
Windowshade X
Transparent Dock
MacStumbler
Azureus
MMB

no particular order, and some others are left.

cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.