Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pwn247

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
West Virginia, USA
A netbook? Maybe. But probably not. Steve himself denied that they were going to make a little netbook for "that market" (he means us low-brow folk).

A touchscreen netbook? Maybe. From a hardware standpoint, it wouldn't take much to just stretch out the Mac Mini's mainboard to fit a 7"-8" frame, slap a keyboard and a screen on there and call it the MacBook Nano Touch. :p

Bottom line, I doubt any of it will happen.

hutchitl

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
I think this rumored device is going to be sold to consumers as a new way to access and view multi-media and games and not to be necessarily used for productivity purposes, that's what macbooks and macbook airs are for.
Instead this is an evolution of the Ipod and Ipod Touch. This will be Kindle-like but incorporate more than just an e-book reader. I think Apple is more interested in being the ultimate consumer company; Iphones, apple TV, Ipod. I see this doing to movies and video communications what the Ipod did for Music, create a player ideal for watching movies/tv shows, playing games, accessing the internet and video communications via Isight. However, with apps it could be used for productivity purposes as well. It will sell because it will be a beautiful product; no borders, just a screen with a power button like the Iphone and an isight camera.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Is the great day upon us???

Dow Jones Newswire picked it up. That, and 10" screens.

Read.

And my money is on this :
0512_imac_tablet_inset_450.jpg

rawlus

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
Boston
(Now, I drive a Toyota a Nissan but...) Do you see Mercedes making little Korean-esque clown cars just because they'll sell? No. They're protecting their brand image and that's exactly what Apple is going to do.

Actually. Mercedes makes the Smart car which is configured by the buyer and made to order via a website just like configuring and buying a new computer. Not surprisingly, the Smart still has a 9-12 month waiting list in some markets more than a year after it's debut in the US last year.

BillyMacBoy

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
After reading these posts, I firmly believe this may be a great idea. Im in a marketing class in High School designing a new product, and decided to try and invent a "MacTouch" as people are starting to call it. I believe this would be a great system especially in work forces, such as Best Buy. Alot of Sales Associates use tablets now to check stock of items, and help them sell, etc. Plus, this is a firm tool to use in Education systems, IF it is, in fact, going to be affordable. Who knows?
And whoever said "smaller isnt necessarily better", have you not seen the Macbook Air? I own one, and indeed, smaller IS better. Try things out before you open your big mouth.

No one will until its EVENTUAL release. Right now, just kick back and see what happens.

ULFoaf

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
The Bayou City, USA
I seriously hope Apple doesn't release a netbook...EVER. Smaller doesn't necessarily equate to better. Every netbook I've played around with was painful in terms of the keyboard size--the Asus ones are even worse because they decided to put the L and R mouse click buttons on the sides and it's awkward to use ...beyond awkward. The keys are clumsy and small - the thing is just impossible to use.

Well, people are buying them and saying they love them. I've not really had my hands on one, but the "hackintosh" models are quite popular.

If you don't want one, don't buy one ... simple as that. If Apple thinks they can make money on such a device, more power to them. I agree that the iPhone is essentially a pretty powerful netbook in its own right!

XIHIX

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
Netherlands
10" Netbook = 20" Tablet?

It would be cool to have a 10" MacBook
and at the same time have a 20" tablet.

If this is what Apple plans to release,
we can wave goodbye to MS Surface...

EDIT
Yes, that means two 10" touchscreens,
no, I wouldn't mind a touchscreen keyboard.
/EDIT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.