Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ComputerMonkey

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2007
For anyone who is hesitant to do this, I just did it and everything went flawlessly. Follow the instructions and you won't have any problems.

This thread is very helpful for when you are done with the jailbreak:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/367730/

Thanks planetbeing and everyone else involved in the dev community for your hard work!

Dash-2

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2007
Awesome job on the GUI version!
Does it still work perfectly with the iPhone?
And iTunes synching works?
Thanks.

planetbeing

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Awesome job on the GUI version!
Does it still work perfectly with the iPhone?
And iTunes synching works?
Thanks.

Not sure about the iPhone, I don't have one to test it on. Theoretically, there's no reason it shouldn't work. I'd need testers to find out.

Syncing has worked and will always work. The only time it hasn't was when people didn't follow directions and MOVED a critical iTunes file from a directory instead of COPYING it. ;) This version does this step automatically, so hopefully that will cease to be a problem.

babi

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2007
First I just wanted to say thanks for all the great work!

After jailbreaking on a PC, can I then sync my ipod with a MAC (I have a PPC not intel)? Thanks in advance!

shoefly

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
First I just wanted to say thanks for all the great work!

After jailbreaking on a PC, can I then sync my ipod with a MAC (I have a PPC not intel)? Thanks in advance!

As long as your iPod's library is from the Mac, yes.

babi

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2007
As long as your iPod's library is from the Mac, yes.

thanks shoefly. right now it is synced to my mac and my library is on an external hard drive, so.... i guess it will work? if it doesn't i can always restore it i guess...

brianross

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2007
2nd Time Isn't a Charm

My roommate used this jailbreak on a Touch 8GB earlier today and everything went smoothly using version 5. Tonight, I tried to use his computer and the same setup and process to jailbreak my 16GB. When I use the GUI version, it freezes after I click the "Proceed to Step 2" button and with version 5, it sticks at "Stage one (type 'touchFree.exe one' at the command line to resume from here in the future" and never starts the process of reading the iPod's flash image like my roommate's did.

I've restored and re-visited the website to jailbreak a few times now, with no luck. I don't remember my roomie's listing his Touch as charging during the process, but mine displays to charging icon. Is this an indicator of the problem? Anyone have any suggestions? The envy of his iPod Touch and all the extra apps is killing me.

And to be clear, when I go to the About section under Settings, it lists the iPod as only 300 MB, so I know the browser exploit worked. I just can't figure out why I don't have access to it view touchFree.

planetbeing

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
My roommate used this jailbreak on a Touch 8GB earlier today and everything went smoothly using version 5. Tonight, I tried to use his computer and the same setup and process to jailbreak my 16GB. When I use the GUI version, it freezes after I click the "Proceed to Step 2" button and with version 5, it sticks at "Stage one (type 'touchFree.exe one' at the command line to resume from here in the future" and never starts the process of reading the iPod's flash image like my roommate's did.

That sounds like a USB problem. Get to one of those freeze states and then try to connect to the iPod with iTunes. Can you connect?

planetbeing

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Yes, I am able to connect to the iPod via iTunes after jailbreaking it. Any other suggestions?

At the same time it's freezing? If so, at the same time it's freezing, open up iPhuc in C:\Program Files\touchFree. Is it able to connect?

brianross

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2007
All is well in the world of jailbreaking. I didn't think it could be a problem with this computer because my roomie used it successfully about 3 hours ago. Nevertheless, I borrowed my other buddy's laptop and now the jailbreak ran perfectly. Thanks for the help.

If you have connection problem to the iPod touch, try using another computer for the jailbreak. It might just be a USB-related problem.

Dash-2

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2007
Thanks for the reply planetbeing, I will be testing it soon on my iPhone.

I did hear, however, that if you try to install SummerBoard through Installer after using your process, it messes everything up. Is there a way not to install SB through the jailbreak process so that we can get udpates through Installer?

planetbeing

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Thanks for the reply planetbeing, I will be testing it soon on my iPhone.

I did hear, however, that if you try to install SummerBoard through Installer after using your process, it messes everything up. Is there a way not to install SB through the jailbreak process so that we can get udpates through Installer?

SummerBoard is installed automatically, but it won't show up as installed in AppTapp. If a working version for 1.1.1 is available from the repository in the future, you should be able to "install" it without problems.

The next release will make it show up in AppTapp as well, but this is not a big issue right now.

Please report back on how the iPhone process goes!

Lin

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
France
Worked perfectly and flawlessly on my week 38 IPT.

GREAT THANKS GUYS

Btw, the master is word is "restart properly" your IPT :)

VincentPun

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
Hi, touchFree is really great!

One question: Will I lose all the data in my iPod if I restore it? Thank you!

cwolves

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
not working

I just tried both the GUI and previous version. They both hang on the first step (well the gui hangs on step 2, but it's the first step where it's doing anything).

The GUI hangs at "Step 2 Generating SSH host keys...". I've let it sit there for over an hour, nothing.

Any ideas?

1.1.1 touch, XP, .net3.0

babi

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2007
again t hanks everyone for all of your hard work and help.

i used this once and it worked perfectly, then i screwed up something later on and had to restore my ipod. now after i visit the safari site after it crashes i am unable to go on to the next step bc it wants me to crash safari first. any ideas?

iphoneaddict

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2007
Tried running version 6 this morning on my iphone version 1.1.1. When it got to step 2 it just kept cycling through the step over and over for about 40 minutes. I finally disconnected and had a heck of a time getting the phone to restore through itunes but am finally back at version 1.1.1. Saw on another board where people are having success using touchfree 6 but there are a few of us experiencing this same problem. Any suggestions?

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
I installed the older command line version that was avaible on Friday evening. Would I be able to do the GUI Jailbreak to get the working summerboard with out screwing anything up? Or should I restore do the update to 1.1.1, install jailbreak and the fix for Iphone apps?

spazer

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
Northern California
Request for next revision

SummerBoard is installed automatically, but it won't show up as installed in AppTapp. If a working version for 1.1.1 is available from the repository in the future, you should be able to "install" it without problems.

The next release will make it show up in AppTapp as well, but this is not a big issue right now.

Please report back on how the iPhone process goes!

Planetbeing, thanks for your work on this app. You've helped many open up the doors of limitless functionality on iP touches.

I have a request for your next jailbreak revision: automatically expand the apps partition to a bigger size. We need more room for all the cool apps out there.

fredthedog

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2007
Tried running version 6 this morning on my iphone version 1.1.1. When it got to step 2 it just kept cycling through the step over and over for about 40 minutes. I finally disconnected and had a heck of a time getting the phone to restore through itunes but am finally back at version 1.1.1. Saw on another board where people are having success using touchfree 6 but there are a few of us experiencing this same problem. Any suggestions?

I had the same problem, round and round she went with no end in sight. I had a fresh install of the 1.1.1 on my iphone running XP.

PurpleShaman

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
first, thx to planetbeing for this great jailbreak. i used the 5th rev and everything works fine apart from the summerboard....should i use this new one? do i need to restore my ipod before i do it? or can i just do it over the 5th rev? thx

arras

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2007
works great! many thanks :)

The only problem/issue I've run into is that my Music, Videos, Photos and Itunes icons are now at the very top of the screen and I can't access them - I figured out a workaround by installing Dock, but it would be nice to have icons all lined up (the top 1/3 of the music, video, photo, itunes icons are cut off by the top of the screen)

Should I restore and try it again? In any case, the GUI worked like a charm and was very smooth. Thank very much for putting this together :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.