Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
But even as the house of Mickey Mouse announced it would release "Toy Story 3" without Pixar Animation Studios, the two firms are rekindling talks to renew their Oscar-winning production deal, Daily Variety said.

If the deal between the two powerhouses is not renewed, "Toy Story 3" would be the first in the series to be produced and distributed by Disney alone after talks about renewing the 10-year deal collapsed last year

Toy Story 3

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Pixar needs the deal, its what brought them into the industry. Im sure Disney will still do a good job, but like i said its Pixar pride and joy movie that brought them to be known.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Whatever - Disney's animated movies sucked since the Lion King. Guarantee when they're done Toy Story 3 goes right to DVD/Video like other classics such as Alladin 2, Alladin 3, Lion King 2, 102 Dalmations 2, and all the other crappy sequals they've done.

I'm actually glad Disney and Pixar split - it's better for Pixar.

themacman

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
kc
actaully disney has done some great movies in the past. the incredibles, remember the titans, holes, and others.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Dr. Dastardly said:
Is Disney SO dried up that they cannot come up with a single orginal idea of there own. I'm not upset about this or anything but come on, it seems that their last orginal idea was the The Emperor's New Groove back in 2000. :eek:
They've stolen the majority of the classic books whose copyright has expired, right now they are awaiting the modern author's who have died copyrights to expire.

Then they'll have some new ideas. :D

Edit. All those mysterious deaths and terrorist acts that killed off authors were bankrolled by Disney. :p

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
themacman said:
actaully disney has done some great movies in the past. the incredibles, remember the titans, holes, and others.

I think this thread is talking mainly about disney animation which has gone down the toilet. Remember the incredibles wasn't disney, it was pixar.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
FoxyKaye said:
Whatever - Disney's animated movies sucked since the Lion King.

Naw that was a good movie, IMO.

Whoever makes Toy Story 3, let's just hope they do a good job.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
This is old news...and Disney's new 3D animation, Chicken Little is coming out soon, so I'm going to be very curious to see how they do with that. I'm not expecting much.

Lilo and Stitch was pretty good and the water color look was quite nice - that was 2002.

D

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I hope TS3 flops. Really, the magic of Pixar and their movies lies in the masterful hands of John Lasseter and gang.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Lacero said:
I hope TS3 flops. Really, the magic of Pixar and their movies lies in the masterful hands of John Lasseter and gang.

What makes their movies special is that they emphasize the story not the 3D or animation. Everyone of their movies is great and I don't think they need Disney to succeed....

D

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
Mr. Anderson said:
This is old news...and Disney's new 3D animation, Chicken Little is coming out soon, so I'm going to be very curious to see how they do with that. I'm not expecting much.

Lilo and Stitch was pretty good and the water color look was quite nice - that was 2002.

D

agreed.. old news

here is some what of what the plot is going to be like for the peeps that would like to know

linkage

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
xli_ne said:
agreed.. old news

here is some what of what the plot is going to be like for the peeps that would like to know

linkage
That sounds pretty crappy. I mean it's not even realistic for a kid to send in his 3 or 4 year old plastic action figure for a malfunction.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
Pixar really needs to get away from Disney, imo. Disney has been reduced to a money machine that cares little about quality. It's a relationship like Apple working for Microsoft. Shudder. Pixar deserves better.

friarbayliff

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
MN / IN
AliensAreFuzzy said:
That sounds pretty crappy. I mean it's not even realistic for a kid to send in his 3 or 4 year old plastic action figure for a malfunction.

Sounds like the plot of TS2 recycled all over again

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Sun Baked said:
They've stolen the majority of the classic books whose copyright has expired, right not they are awaiting the modern author's who have died copyrights to expire.

Kind of ironic that Disney is one of the big reasons why the copyright term was extended beyond reason...

/Mickey Mouse Law

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
DeSnousa said:
Pixar needs the deal, its what brought them into the industry. Im sure Disney will still do a good job, but like i said its Pixar pride and joy movie that brought them to be known.

Pixar is known for Nemo and Incredibles. TS? Old played out news. Disney will not doubt screw that up. they are trying to make money off the characters and I in no way feel they will be able to live up to the quality of Pixar's 1st too installments. Disney is dying a slow cartoon death.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
The only reason Pixar should even think of renewing with Disney would be to get the character rights back so Disney can't sully their image by releasing sequels that might reflect badly on the originals (which coincidentally would stop TS3). Of course it can't hurt to have Disney's marketing machine to help publicize your movies, but I think Pixar has enough of a reputation now that they wouldn't need the marketing blitz on their movies.

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
Kid Red said:
Pixar is known for Nemo and Incredibles. TS? Old played out news. Disney will not doubt screw that up. they are trying to make money off the characters and I in no way feel they will be able to live up to the quality of Pixar's 1st too installments. Disney is dying a slow cartoon death.

pixar is known to people by their favorite pixar movie. could be those, the second toy story, monster's inc, or a bug's life (which doesn't get mentioned all that much) toy story will always be a classic, can't believe its 10 years old already.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
friarbayliff said:
Sounds like the plot of TS2 recycled all over again

But TS2 was good. It was the great idea of "Evil Chicken Guy" :)D) stealing Woody-- not Buzz being shipped off because...uh.... "Daddy, what's a mal-mal-malfukntion?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.